Unusual DNS type issue with my ISP

mike.a

Jul 3, 2017
Six days ago, I suddenly couldn't reach a few of the websites that I visit regularly. I have no problem getting to most web sites such as CNN, Dish, gmail, microsoft, etc... As time went on, I discovered about seven or eight more sites that I couldn't reach and I am sure there are more. A few examples of the sites that I can no longer reach using my home internet connection are:

riderforums.com
goldwingowners.com
goldwingfacts.com

If I try to go to any of these sites, I get the error -
This site can’t be reached
riderforums.com took too long to respond.

• Search Google for riderforums
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

If you try any of these sites, you should have no problem reaching them.

I also cannot ping these domains if connected via my ISP. For example, if you ping riderforums.com you will get a reply from 172.192.92.174 but my replys time out, even if I ping it by IP Address.

This problem is not just on my desktop computer, but also happens if I use my laptop, or connect my cell phone to the Wifi, so it is not a problem with my computer.

Now, if I turn off the Wifi on my cell phone, and enable mobile data, then I can connect to all of these sites no problem, or if I take my laptop next door and connect using my neighbors internet which is with a different ISP, I can connect just fine.

I have been complaining about this to my ISP for several days now. They say they are looking into it but they act as if they think the problem is with my PC.

Changing DNS server addresses in my adapter settings to any of the available public DNS servers, such as 8.8.8.8 , 208.67.222.222 or any others has no effect.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I experienced something similar with one of the websites I visit that's not in the country. I usually can visit the site without problem, one day it suddenly stopped working.

Error message is always like: you are redirected too many times. or like yours: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I cleared browser cache, cookies, used different browsers, changed DNS, and nothing worked with same error message.

Then I turned on the built-in VPN of Opera, then I could visit the site again.

It probably has something has to do with ISP or the networks in between. ISPs change their routes all the time and suddenly some websites stopped working. I don't think your ISP can help.

I can visit the websites you mentioned without problems with Chrome, IE and Firefox and Opera (without VPN turning on).

Try using Opera VPN to visit the websites, a different IP probably is the only solution.

Last edited:

mike.a

Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I remember having this same issue several years back when I was yet on dial-up. It took my ISP almost a week to figure it out but it was related to DNS on their end, not mine. Since I know within a few hours of when the problem started, they should be able to back-track what they did during that time frame and figure it out. Unfortunately for me, there is no other ISP available here except something like Hughesnet which won't work for my needs.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You can do a Trace Route to the sites you can not reach. Then submit the screenshot or printout of the traceroute to the ISP which will show at what IP it is failing to connect through. With that information, they can then determine where in the network the DNS issue is. Also if you do want to use another DNS then you do not change it on your computer unless you are connected directly to the internet without a router. If you use a router, you need to change the DNS in the router settings.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-on-most-popular-routers-2617995

To run traceroute on Windows:
  1. Open the command prompt. Go to Start > Run. ...
  2. In the command prompt, type: tracert hostname. ...
  3. You may have to wait up to a minute or more for the test to complete. ...
  4. Send us the complete results (every line) for analysis

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
In my case, trouble shooting using tracert or ping didn't reveal anything wrong with the site about 3 months ago.

I chatted with site admin and he couldn't find anything wrong either.

mike.a

Jul 3, 2017
Along those lines, I just realized I can't reach netflix.com...

C:\Users\mike>tracert netflix.com

Tracing route to netflix.com [52.89.148.95]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 4 ms 1 ms cnPilot-R200P [192.168.11.1]
2 21 ms 11 ms 11 ms 10.1.64.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 17 ms 14 ms 17 ms 172.17.5.46
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 25 ms 31 ms 21 ms 206.123.199.169
9 38 ms 35 ms 24 ms 63.237.121.245
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 71 ms 54 ms 55 ms 65-122-235-174.dia.static.qwest.net [65.122.235.174]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
You can't necessarily trust an ICMP response for actual functional website as they could be filtering ICMP.

Why don't you try OpenDNS or similar?

Reactions: bigboxes

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Found that the 3 forums you visited are all located in Dallas,TX according to https://geoiptool.com/
Netflix 52.89.148.95 is located in Boardman, OR (Seems most of Netflix computers are hosted at Amazon)

Don't know if that helps.

Other public DNS servers you can try: 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, ..to .. 4.2.2.6

Last edited:

mike.a

Jul 3, 2017
Unfortunately for me, I can't simply change DNS server addresses in my windows settings. It would have to be done in the router and with my service, the ISP owns and controls the router - I don't have access.

The good news is that as of yesterday, everything is all working again. I have no idea of what the fix was, and it took them a week to resolve it, but I seem to be able to get anywhere I need to go now.

Funny thing too is when I do an IPCONFIG /all, nothing has changed - my external DNS is unchanged. As long as it is working I suppose.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
If the router is in your home, even if the IS owns it, you can still make changes to it. Such as setting a WifFi Name or Password ... so yes, you do have to be able to access the router. If you post the ISP and also the Make / Model of the router we can tell you how to get into it. Usually the default Password is on a label on the bottom. The usual IP address is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
If the router is in your home, even if the IS owns it, you can still make changes to it. Such as setting a WifFi Name or Password ... so yes, you do have to be able to access the router. If you post the ISP and also the Make / Model of the router we can tell you how to get into it. Usually the default Password is on a label on the bottom. The usual IP address is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2

I'll be damned if I let an ISP control everything. Thankfully, I own all my equipment. Even when I didn't, I made changes to the settings. I'm sure I put their POS gateway device into bridge mode. It's been a while though. I own my own modem, wireless router and switch. I too use OpenDNS. Don't trust Spectrum (TimeWarner) to do the right thing. All I want from my ISP is to provide the pipe. Leave the settings, DNS and security to me.