Unsuitable Work Conditions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Regarding the "no policy" and "do as I say, not as I do" comments - you took equipment that wasn't assigned to you, it should go without saying that you can't do that. If management decides to move you though, that's a different matter.

To fix the situation - move your desk away from the wall.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: homestarmy
Nah, I was thinking about smashing the LCD and doing something along those lines... but that will be my last day of work ;).

Just spill water into the back of it before you go and don't say anything.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
OSHA is more concerned about big safety at work issues, not about desk size to monitor size ratios. Also they don't have the pull like they used to, nor would they probably have the resources to spend on your issue.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Your manager(s) are jus letting you know who is boss. If you had asked them first, maybe they would have said it was ok and you wouldn't be suffering. They want to keep a tight leash on everything. I don't blame them. If i was your manager i would think your attitude is 'wtf.. let me move sh!t around to suit me.. i don't give a sh!t if somebody else had plans for that lcd'

If they flatly said 'No'.. then you had grounds to complain to upper management.. and then to OSHA.

I basically think that you're being immature and now you want to call OSHA.. that is truly teh funnay !

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If it's a large company, contact your Ergonomics team or nurse type person and complain of stiffness in your neck etc. If it's a small company that doesn't have anything like that you'd have to ask for a keyboard tray or something else to make it easier to work.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ironwing
BTW, it is a 24x48 desk, is it just me or is this ridiculously small?

How much room does neffing require?

That's exactly the size of my desk at home, but I don't have a CRT on it (2 LCDs)

randalee

Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Bottom line: Next time ask instead of just taking. Your justification became unbelievable when you decided to join 10 other people in absconding with company resources. That's the way it is. I see this all the time. The second you take a piece of equipment without asking, any reason you give is pretty much immediately assumed to be bunk.

Yep, you're just another one of those damn users moving equipment around on us. I'm serious -- this happens ALL THE TIME where I work. It's ridiculous. You're lucky you didn't end up with a 14" black-and-white monitor and a nasty sticky keyboard after pulling that garbage.

If you were where I work, you would get owned.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: randalee
Originally posted by: Jzero
Bottom line: Next time ask instead of just taking. Your justification became unbelievable when you decided to join 10 other people in absconding with company resources. That's the way it is. I see this all the time. The second you take a piece of equipment without asking, any reason you give is pretty much immediately assumed to be bunk.

Yep, you're just another one of those damn users moving equipment around on us. I'm serious -- this happens ALL THE TIME where I work. It's ridiculous. You're lucky you didn't end up with a 14" black-and-white monitor and a nasty sticky keyboard after pulling that garbage.

If you were where I work, you would get owned.

:music:Nick Burns: Your Company Computer Guy:music:

randalee

Nov 7, 2001
BTW, not a small business. See www.connextions.com.

LOL you work for a CALL CENTER. You mean NOTHING to them. As soon as you leave, they'll stick another warm body in your place and pay them less. And they'll be more than happy to do it.

Get a new job. Seriously. And NOT for another call center.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Originally posted by: mugs
Regarding the "no policy" and "do as I say, not as I do" comments - you took equipment that wasn't assigned to you, it should go without saying that you can't do that. If management decides to move you though, that's a different matter.

To fix the situation - move your desk away from the wall.

If that was an option, I would have done it already. Did you not read my post above?

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Originally posted by: randalee
BTW, not a small business. See www.connextions.com.

LOL you work for a CALL CENTER. You mean NOTHING to them. As soon as you leave, they'll stick another warm body in your place and pay them less. And they'll be more than happy to do it.

Get a new job. Seriously. And NOT for another call center.

No schiat about that. That's why I am not too concerned about going through the company. They don't give two schits. I will be out of here soon, very soon. Unfortunately it is to another call center, but a completely different type of business that appears to be much better (a company who gives a schit about their employees).