Unreal Tournament 3

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Looks like all the hype for this game has died down. Release day, and not many people talking about it. Anyone have any reviews on it so far? From the looks of it, and after playing the beta, I was left feeling this is just like any other UT game, but with better graphics and a few tweaks. Nothing really new and exciting. Not sure if I will purchase it or not.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Any reviews from reputed sites up so far? I loved the demo so I'll definitely buy it unless the retail version really sucks.
Yeah, the Crysis hype seems to be killing everything else lol.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I liked what I saw of the demo. I'll buy it soon, but not right away as I hardly have any time to play games right now.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Has anyone else noticed a screwy server browser? I also think Epic dropped the ball in not having any of their own servers out there for the demo. And no onslaught in the demo? Ack!

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: gizbug
Looks like all the hype for this game has died down. Release day, and not many people talking about it.

Overall, the game itself doesn't seem to have received too much hype outside of the UT community from what I can tell. Part of the problem was that the huge player base from UT99 and its enthusiasm was dampened by the lackluster UT 2003/2004 game play.

I thought the UT3 game play was good, so if Epic can finally fix the server browser and user interface with patches, it's one of those games that might come back up to the surface once it builds an enthusiastic community of players. Also, the advertising push probably won't come until the game is ready for the consoles.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
It is really a shame so many highly anticipated games are coming out at the same time.

If this came out over the summer, i would have it. If Crysis came out over the summer I would have it, but with both coming out a month after Orange Box, and with GH3 and Rock Band being out for consoles, I don't have any extra time to play another game.

I will just have to wait till after christmas when I have more time and get done with some of these games.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
All the UT series have always been more of the same with pretty graphics. Why should this one be any different?
The creators of the UT series are the best coders around as far as game play & graphics go. What I mean by that is that they can always make a game look beautiful on a mid or even somewhat low end machine. I will expect more of the same and hours of fun.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
For a lot of UT2K4 players it's a bit of a miss. For UT99 fans it's fine, but it's nothing groundbreaking for being out 8 years later. Has goods and bads, bads resonating very poorly for competitive players.

It seems Epic is somewhat more focused on making it a hit for PS3/360 this go 'round.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: beatle
Has anyone else noticed a screwy server browser? I also think Epic dropped the ball in not having any of their own servers out there for the demo. And no onslaught in the demo? Ack!

I thought there's no Onslaught in UT3 anyway?

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_tournament_3

This wikipedia page shows no Onslaught mode for UT3.

I was disappointed back in March/April when I found out there was no Onslaught mode, as that was my favorite mode, but I know they put in another mode that is very similar to Onslaught, just the name isn't coming to me right now.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS
For a lot of UT2K4 players it's a bit of a miss. For UT99 fans it's fine, but it's nothing groundbreaking for being out 8 years later. Has goods and bads, bads resonating very poorly for competitive players.

It seems Epic is somewhat more focused on making it a hit for PS3/360 this go 'round.

yeah, seems to be PCs taking back seat to consoles lately. devs/publishers who had hit games on PCs are releasing sequels for consoles in mind, despite the fact that their biggest fanbase is on PC and thats what made them popular. and then when they do release the PC version, it's just a piss poor port.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Can anyone please confirm me if there's an Invasion mode in UT3 ?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenoth

I *cough* acquired the German version this morning. I'll let you know after I brush up on my Deutsch.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS

It wouldn't be UT if the "compettitive" types didn't whine like babies about it. After all, most of them want it there way (which could mean a MULTITUDE of different things) and couldn't care less what anyone else prefers, including the devs. The demo is fine by me, because I liked UT99 and every iteration since. It is indeed less "floaty", which was a goal for Epic. The one change I'd ask for is that the too high arc of the flak secondary be fixed.

I intend to have great fun with it.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I downloaded the demo and thought it sucked.

All of like 5 servers? The one demo map sucks. From what I can tell so far it's not half the game UT2004 was, so no money will be spent on it.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
The bonus pack only comes with pre order? Is this correct? Because i would seriously like to get the other oldies as well.

math20

Apr 28, 2007
Does anyone have a graphics comparison between the full version and demo? I heard the the settings were only allowed to be medium in the demo.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: Zenoth

I *cough* acquired the German version this morning. I'll let you know after I brush up on my Deutsch.

Thanks, I'll be waiting for your answer.

Invasion was my favorite (and still is) mode in 2K4, and still from time to time I play on a server with lots of custom content for it, it's a real blast, but more some reason UT3 feels a little slow paced compared to 2K4, but maybe it's just due to my Demo's first impressions.

If Invasion is featured in UT3 I will definitely buy it, because I know that later on the community will modify the hell out of it. If not then I'm not sure if I'll buy it at all.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Zenoth: No invasion

Aikouka: Warfare maps can be made to play like traditional Assault or Onslaught gametypes or a mix of both.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
No ... no Invasion ?!

Well then ... no need to buy it.

I still have hope however that someday someone, or a team of modders, will create the mode, or else I can keep playing 2K4.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I downloaded the demo and thought it sucked.

All of like 5 servers? The one demo map sucks. From what I can tell so far it's not half the game UT2004 was, so no money will be spent on it.

Yeah.. I thought it was dull. 2004 was a blast though.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I was not really impressed by the demo. It was alright but with CoD4 and Crysis having my attention UT3 loses out.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
The reason no one is talking about it is because no one has the game.

It "shipped" yesterday, but most stores still don't have it today, not till later anyway, or till tomorrow.

And yes, the beta demo kinda sucked, but the retail game is a lot better, though the UI is still craptacular.

Gameplay in the full game (with much better maps than that shit ones in the demo) is very good.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Under no circumstances allow yourself to be fooled into believing there's anything resembling an actual, single player oriented portion of it.

The 'campaign' is so ridiculously contrived it will make you cry for how much sense 'bloodsport of the future' made in 99 and 04.