Unreal Touranment 4 update

Oct 30, 2004
I am very excited about the new Unreal Tournament. I had a ton of fun playing it today.

Over the past week the Devs have added a central launcher system which now makes it very easy to download, install, and update the game. The Unreal Engine 4 Editor is also free and accessible from that same launcher.

Last week, few people were playing the pre-Alpha online. Today the server browser reported over 300 people playing the (very very) pre-Alpha at one point earlier today. (It might have something to do with yesterday's breaking news announcement that the Unreal Engine 4 Editor is now free.)

The game play, as it currently stands, felt really good, and this is coming from a UT99 diehard who has been saying for years, "They should make a UT99-2." This might be it.

I was skeptical about it before, but now I'm ecstatic! More info here:

http://www.UnrealTournament.com

There's also a big button on the upper right-hand of the page that reads "Download". I assume you can download the Launcher/Installer from that link.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
This sounds great. I was watching Fatal1ty play UT4 a few months ago and it looked promising. I can't wait. Plus it's free! I just hope they don't ruin it like Quake Online. Preloaded weapons blow, and that has a lot of players pissed off.

On a side note I'm still trying to figure out why UT3 didn't do so well on the PC. I still play this game all the time, and I enjoy it. This is coming from someone who played UT and UT 2k3/4 religiously.

Last edited:

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
On a side note I'm still trying to figure out why UT3 didn't do so well on the PC. I still play this game all the time, and I enjoy it. This is coming from someone who played UT and UT 2k3/4 religiously.

Launch matters a lot. When it launched it was running terribly on PCs. Took years worth of patches to be playable.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
My best gaming days were UT99 playing with co-workers till 2am then we'd talk about it all day the next day at work and look at stats online. The later versions didn't really do it for me as the characters were too "grounded" which I suppose is more realistic but it made gameplay too different for my liking.

I'm excited to check this out now.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Just played it - by default the mouse sensitivity was way up so I had to adjust it down. Even so, the action is very fast paced - like faster than running through corridors - much like the sequels. I'm not sure why I would go back to it if I didn't like the feel of those. I think I'm just going to keep my UT99 memories and let it be.

Last edited:

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
Couldn't stop playing last night!

I kept trying to dodge-jump in humerous fashion. The wall-dodges feel great in giving a slight boost to speed, and overall movement/ momentum seems to strike a perfect balance between what I remembered how UT was (99, 2004 specifically), and Quake. In contrast to Toxikk, the character seems to have some weight (a love/ hate thing amongst people, I find). In a nutshell, movement feels much less stop and go, with more flow to it.

Weapons feel pretty balanced overall, and was very surprised at the addition of the third firing modes (Bio, Rockets).

That newly-released map (Outpost?) is gorgeous as heck, and runs like shit too [for now] lol. The other concept maps have pretty fun layouts and complement UT2014's movement pretty well.

The implementation of hubs genious - brings me back to HEAT.NET days! Game chat lobbies, ability to host games within a few clicks - pure win, IMO.

Netcode is made by the gods. I hopped onto a game and dominated, only to realize I was playing at 250 ping when it ended. I literally could not tell my ping was that high, even after using both hitscan and projectile weapons.

Feels pretty polished for a PRE-Alpha, I'd say. Good stuff. I can see myself pouring countless of hours into this, moreso than Toxikk actually. :)

Last edited:

skeedo

Nov 29, 2004
Omg thanks for this, installing now! There was a point in my life where all I did was play UT2K4. I was so disappointed with UT3, it's time for Epic to redeem themselves.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Started to play it today,liking the looks of Outpost 23,haven't jumped online yet but i might today.I think only 2 of the maps have been nearly completed?I only played Outpost so far.

It does look damn good.Anyone know what the temporal AA really is?

Oct 30, 2004
Played it for 30 minutes... Uninstalled it.

Can you articulate what you thought about it? Was that your first time ever playing an Unreal Tournament game, or did you play prior versions? Was that your first time ever playing an arena shooter?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Looks promising! I like how the HDR is more balanced than another beta I've tried recently the Halo 5 beta (based on video of UT4, have not played it yet). The maps were either too bright or too dark and player models blended into backgrounds. Still fun. I hope I have some time to try this one out!

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
to me, player models blended into backgrounds and details since ut2004, thats why all of us that played it in the community had the mod that forced all the players be the biggest model in the game and have the textures flashing bright to see them

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
I might have to retract my earlier statement about the netcode.

I played on another server the other day, and it definitely felt like the 250 ping of olde. Still playable, but definite disadvantage, with huge delays.

Not sure why that one server felt so good... shrug.

That being said, there are some instances where I really miss UT2004's movement. That's when I hop onto Toxikk for some relief. :p

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Downloading the pre-alpha. Will try it this week.

<-------UT99/UT2003/2004 ADDICT for many years.

:D

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Launch matters a lot. When it launched it was running terribly on PCs. Took years worth of patches to be playable.

I had no issues with performance after i swapped my dual core for a quad core.I think its one of the first games that really took advantage of quad cores.People may simply have just not realized that the game really just wanted more.

Yeah a quality dual core back during the games release like my old E6750 ran pretty good but the game felt dramatically better the second i dropped my Q6600 in.Did that swap pretty much after i dropped in my gtx280.:)Even when i had my gtx295 the switch from a Q6600 to a x58 based i7 940 platform opened my frames up even more.

TPU reviews of hardware like the 8800gts 512mb/gtx280/gtx580/gtx590 all back up my claims of dramatic frame increases with platforms,check their lower resolution numbers in UT3 and notice the increases with each platform switch.:)