Unlocking Duron

Liguid

Sep 10, 2000
How do i unlock a duron if it is locked... i'm new in overclocking so kinda help me out a little.... i just order 2 duron 600s from buy.com today.... but what if it is locked how would i get it unlocked and where do i get globalWin? also what cooler is best for those 2 durons and a celeron 533? i just read about the Golden Orb but i see GlobalWin a lot and want to know if that is good.

Liguid

Sep 10, 2000
Also forgot to ask this question do i need anything else to cool down my processor if i were to get a Golden Orb or would it be fine? Lol i'm like a total newbie this. How do i find out the temperature where do i get a program to find out the temperature?

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
You really should read this:
[l]http://www.bxboards.com/newoctips.shtml[/l]

Come back if you have any remaining o/c questions.

The Golden orb is a great socket cooler. It is *very* compact. The GlobalWin fans cool better, but they are 3 times bigger, so Orb is the way to go in a cramped space.

Check out the online store and reviews at [l]www.2cooltek.com[/l]

Eric

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hope this helps...

Unlocking your Durons:
Look at the top of your Duron CPU. Around the main CPU core in the center, there are little golden traces that are labelled L1 all the way to L7 I believe. Those are called the "golden bridges". To unlock your Duron, you will have to connect each of the 4 or 5 L1 bridges with something conductive. ONLY connect the L1 bridges, leave the rest alone. A fine conductive pen would be best, but if you're a cheep baastid, a #2 pencil works just fine :)
Make sure you do a good job and don't join adjacent L1 bridges, or it won't work. If your L1 bridges are solid lines, you won't need to join them in the first place - they're already unlocked.

On cooling solutions:
Duron cooling - Good heatsink/fans(HSF) for the Durons are the Alpha PAL6035MUC, the Globalwin FOP32-1, and the Thermaltake Socket 462 Chrome/Silver Orbs in that order. The Coolermaster S462 units are good as well.
Do NOT use the Thermaltake S370 Golden Orbs or the Alpha FC-PAL models. They were never meant for Durons. In fact, if possible you should stay away from the original Globalwin FOP32s too.

Celeron cooling - First things first, make sure you have a Celeron 533A rather than the normal Celeron 533. To find out, if your C533 is black and silver, its a C533; if its green, its a C533A. The C533 doesn't overclock well at all, so cooling would be futile. For the C533A, good units are the Alpha PEP66, FC-PAL35U, Globalwin FOP32.
I wouldn't recommend the S370 Golden Orb to a newbie, as they're extremely hard to install, even though their performance is decent for their price.

Checking temperatures:
Motherboard monitor is a great program that sits in your system tray and reports a lot of stuff such as CPU/case temp, fan RPMs, voltage and more. The current version is 4.18 but a beta version 5.0 has been released. I'd recommend 4.18 since its an official release. Grab it here.

M00T

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2000
if you need to find a global win fan, search for "fop32" on pricewatch. Couple vendors will come up, choose your price and shipping.