Solved! Unknown Network Devices

LGC2316

Nov 28, 2021
Have had a significant amount of buffering on my Smart TV's lately. Discovered a program Advanced IP Scanner in a video while trying to figure out if I have too many devices connected. This program found 12 devices in my house, which I can identify. However, it showed 17,000+ IP's as "unknown" associated with my network. Most of my devices are on LAN, but cell phones are WIFI connected. I have no idea what to do with this problem and/or if it is a cause of the buffering on the TVs..........I have a verified 400 MB download speed with ATT Fiber network. Help would be appreciated very much.

Last edited:

LGC2316

Nov 28, 2021
Most common Network scanners are design to measure Network according to IP range, and thus (in most cases would not scan more then 256 IPs.

Sophisticated Network Scanner used by IT in charge of large businesses and commercial Network can scan more but also need more knowledge and sophistication to be used.

I do not know what you are doing, and what you are using. But it seems to you are scanning The Interent rather then your own LAN

:cool:
No denying here that I am a novice with Networking. Your input is much appreciated. I found that my syntax in setting up the scan was incorrect, so your summation, though is correct instead. After rerunning the scan with the proper syntax for the scan, the results appear to be normal and in bounds. Thank you for your help. My fear of so many "unknowns" has been soothed, but my buffering problem still exists. One TV is WIFI and one is LAN. I will be contacting the Support Staff at DirecTV Streaming tomorrow. Thanks again for taking your time to give me a response.

LGC2316

Nov 28, 2021
When I run that Advanced IP Scanner, it only finds my legitimate devices, plus the unknown list only includes LAN IPs in the same subnet, through the range of unused host IPs, eg 192.168.0.1 thru 192.168.0.254, minus any that are in use so known instead of unknown, so currently 244 unknown, with known being a mix of wired and wireless.

A key thing I'm seeing is no mac addresses associated with anything unknown, but it is also listing a static IP I had set up in a router, for a system that hasn't been on the network in years, so seems like it is fetching router IP table or something? It is not showing phone/printer/TV/etc that were turned off in past few hours and get issued dynamic IPs from the router.

I did run it in portable mode not installed mode, all settings left on defaults except to show the unknown IP entries... don't know if it makes a difference.

Regardless of the above, if your speed test results in 400Mb it's not that, but if any of the TVs are on wifi you could disconnect some wifi devices to see if it makes a difference, or the other typical wifi troubleshooting steps but you seem to indicate the TV is wired, so I would suspect a problem on the other end or pipes inbetween, not your site.

LGC2316

Nov 28, 2021
Thank you for looking into this. Please see my response to JackMDS, above. I appreciate your time to try helping me. Will be contacting ATT DirecTV Support in the morning.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Thank you for looking into this. Please see my response to JackMDS, above. I appreciate your time to try helping me. Will be contacting ATT DirecTV Support in the morning.

Is a decent tool to check LAN and wifi ect, my ISP allows this to be loaded onto the company devices.

Back when I worked at Directv, before at&t bought them, their Directv NOW service was troublesome. They were definitely not on par with Youtube or Netflix. The buffering was on their end.

Reactions: LGC2316