Question Unknown device on network (IEEE Registration Authority)

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
Noticed an IP I wasn't familiar with (192.168.1.218). Had a MAC of 50-a4-d0-91-3d-90.

Router shows it is "hardwired" into my network. Won't respond to ping. Clicking on my Network icon on the desktop shows a device named "PC".

Looked up MAC and it belongs to IEEE Registration Authority. What the heck is this?

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
You should start a spreadsheet or something and inventory what network capable devices you have. I had a similar "what the heck is this device" moment only to remember that my seldom used printer is connected via WIFI. The MAC lookup did not make it immediately clear that it was the printer (Brother laser printer, MAC lookup showed something else).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The first four (six?) hex digits, are the OUID (Organizational Unit ID), which is basically the mfg of the hardware that has that MAC address. You are supposed to be able to look those up, but I don't know how much MAC address space is re-used these days. (It's not supposed to be, but with so many cheap Chinese-based vendors cutting corners, well, there it is.)

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I looked it up in the wireshark oui lookup tool and came up with the same thing about oem production, which is a company I've never heard of. I would disconnect your router from the Internet and reboot it and check it again and see if it's gone. If not, I would hard reset your router and see if it's gone. If not, then I would change the firmware to a different version on your router (keep the router offline and do it locally) and then see if it's gone.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Untitled.png

The address came to
1461-3 San Mateo Ave.
South San Francisco CA 94080

So it should be a device from Polywell

Last edited:

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003

View attachment 46623

The address came to
1461-3 San Mateo Ave.

On my goodness... work sent me a SFF PC to test a specific type of software interface to our access control system. I know we source these SFF units from a company called Polywell.

I think I know the culprit now, thanks man!

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
So to get it to disappear from being listed in Network and from my router device list, I had to boot up the Polywell unit. Enabled network sharing. Then I could ping it. Powered it down. No longer in Network and fell off the router device list.

Man that was driving me crazy.

DjStephLordPro

Dec 18, 2021

View attachment 46623

The address came to
1461-3 San Mateo Ave.

Hay can you check this address for me?
7C:70:BC:54:AB:BE

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The first four (six?) hex digits, are the OUID (Organizational Unit ID), which is basically the mfg of the hardware that has that MAC address. You are supposed to be able to look those up, but I don't know how much MAC address space is re-used these days. (It's not supposed to be, but with so many cheap Chinese-based vendors cutting corners, well, there it is.)
Since this thread got bumped, you are correct. I don't know wtf I was posting about.