Univision is #1 Network in America?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Oh boy...

Univision #1 Network for Entire Week Beating ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW
Thursday September 6, 1:04 pm ET
"Adios" to Separate Hispanic Ratings and "Hola" to Single National Service

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision captured the #1 network ranking among all Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics, and outdelivered ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW for the entire first week of Nielsen's single national panel (NPM).

In the first entire week (8/27/07-9/2/07) since all networks were reported from one single ratings sample, Univision ranked as the #1 network with an +11% advantage over its nearest competitor, FOX, and beating ABC by +43%, CBS by +42%, NBC by +57%, and fully +125% ahead of CW for all Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics. Univision was also the #1 ranked network all night every night Monday through Friday last week among the same coveted young adult demographic.

In addition, Univision aired 9 out of the top 20 programs of the entire week, regardless of language, among all Adults 18-34.

"Taking the #1 spot for the first week of Nielsen's single sample NTI ratings, clearly demonstrates Univision's ability to compete head-to-head with any and all networks," said Alina Falcon, Executive Vice President and Operating Manager of the Univision Network. "Now with a single ratings source, advertisers can see, more easily than ever, just how important Univision can be as part of their overall media plans."

Univision Communications Inc. is the premier Spanish-language media company in the United States. Its operations include Univision Network, the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the U.S. reaching 99% of U.S. Hispanic Households; TeleFutura Network, a general-interest Spanish-language broadcast television network, which was launched in 2002 and now reaches 89% of U.S. Hispanic Households; Galavision, the country's leading Spanish-language cable network; Univision Television Group, which owns and operates 62 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; Univision Radio, the leading Spanish-language radio group which owns and/or operates 70 radio stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and 5 stations in Puerto Rico; Univision Music Group, which includes Univision Records, Fonovisa Records, La Calle Records and Mexico-based Disa Records as well as Fonomusic and America Musical Publishing companies; and Univision Online, the premier Spanish-language Internet destination in the U.S. located at www.univision.com. Univision Communications also has a 50% interest in TuTv, a joint venture formed to broadcast Televisa's pay television channels in the U.S., and a non-voting 14.9% interest in Entravision Communications Corporation, a public Spanish-language media company. Univision Communications has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States.

For more information, please visit www.univision.net.

Are ALL these viewers illegal? Of course not. But things like this just burn me. Why are we the only country on earth (seemingly) that refuses to place its military on its borders en mass? Yeah, we have the token NG presence in some places... but it's time to defend our country from this invasion.

Nielsen's ratings are artificially skewed to favor the poor/minority/low-tech-viewing-setup demographic over the rich/high-tech-viewing-setup demographic. One of my friends works there as an installer and I have heard the recruitment and installation process for nielsen homes described many times in great detail.

It is one of Nielsen's most tightly kept secrets.

In my opinion, it is also the reason you can't get any decent sci-fi shows to stay around for more than a season or two, but somehow COPS is on all the time.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Why are we the only country on earth (seemingly) that refuses to place its military on its borders en mass? Yeah, we have the token NG presence in some places... but it's time to defend our country from this invasion.

Well, there are a few mitigating factors that make it unreasonable to place our military along our border:

1. Our border is huge. Just overwhelmingly, mind-blowingly vast. Between Canada and Mexico we have 7,473 miles of border (a number which does not take into account thousands more miles of coastline). To adequately defend a border of this size would require far more military personnel than we have in this country, even when troops are not deployed. Even if you only guard against Mexico, that's 1,951 miles, far more than we could adequately "defend" without increasing the size of our military, or stationing all our troops in one place, leaving us vulnerable elsewhere.

2. Our military is not only needed along the border. You speak of placing troops along the border as though if no one gets in, no troops will be needed anywhere in the interior of the country. This is absurd. For a country like Germany, it is no problem to mobilize border troops and get them inland in the event of an emergency, because Germany is relatively small. America is a huge, sprawling country. If we had all our troops along the Mexican border, and we had need for them in New York (for example), it would take at least a day to mobilize the units and ready the transport. This response time is hugely important in the event of an actual catastrophe, and is the primary reason for having military bases spread throughout the country.

3. Obviously our conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan reduce the number of troops we could devote to any such endeavor requiring the use of any sizeable number of troops (which any border closing operation would certainly be).

4. Relations with Mexico and Canada are extremely important to our economy. If we started amassing troops on the border, it would most certainly be taken as signs of open hostility by a Mexican President who feels that even the lax security we have now is somehow an insult to his country. Kowtowing to political pressure from a deluded megalomaniac like Felipe Calderon is stupid, but our country still needs to trade with Mexico (not to mention the fabulous supply of cheap labor they offer).

Bottom line: it's just not going to happen.

You don't think 140,000 troops would cover the Mexico-U.S. border? :confused:

That's exactly 1 troop per 74 feet. Should be good enough I think.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Invasion? Christ.

Yes unfortunately it seems he is trying pretty hard to invade our secular country as well.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ebaycj
In my opinion, it is also the reason you can't get any decent sci-fi shows to stay around for more than a season or two, but somehow COPS is on all the time.

No wonder Farscape was mysteriously cancelled... :( How else could a show with such praise suddenly find itself on the cutting room floor?

As for Univision being #1. No surprise there for reasons already stated... :)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Oh boy...

Univision #1 Network for Entire Week Beating ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW
Thursday September 6, 1:04 pm ET
"Adios" to Separate Hispanic Ratings and "Hola" to Single National Service

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision captured the #1 network ranking among all Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics, and outdelivered ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW for the entire first week of Nielsen's single national panel (NPM).

In the first entire week (8/27/07-9/2/07) since all networks were reported from one single ratings sample, Univision ranked as the #1 network with an +11% advantage over its nearest competitor, FOX, and beating ABC by +43%, CBS by +42%, NBC by +57%, and fully +125% ahead of CW for all Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics. Univision was also the #1 ranked network all night every night Monday through Friday last week among the same coveted young adult demographic.

In addition, Univision aired 9 out of the top 20 programs of the entire week, regardless of language, among all Adults 18-34.

"Taking the #1 spot for the first week of Nielsen's single sample NTI ratings, clearly demonstrates Univision's ability to compete head-to-head with any and all networks," said Alina Falcon, Executive Vice President and Operating Manager of the Univision Network. "Now with a single ratings source, advertisers can see, more easily than ever, just how important Univision can be as part of their overall media plans."

Univision Communications Inc. is the premier Spanish-language media company in the United States. Its operations include Univision Network, the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the U.S. reaching 99% of U.S. Hispanic Households; TeleFutura Network, a general-interest Spanish-language broadcast television network, which was launched in 2002 and now reaches 89% of U.S. Hispanic Households; Galavision, the country's leading Spanish-language cable network; Univision Television Group, which owns and operates 62 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; Univision Radio, the leading Spanish-language radio group which owns and/or operates 70 radio stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and 5 stations in Puerto Rico; Univision Music Group, which includes Univision Records, Fonovisa Records, La Calle Records and Mexico-based Disa Records as well as Fonomusic and America Musical Publishing companies; and Univision Online, the premier Spanish-language Internet destination in the U.S. located at www.univision.com. Univision Communications also has a 50% interest in TuTv, a joint venture formed to broadcast Televisa's pay television channels in the U.S., and a non-voting 14.9% interest in Entravision Communications Corporation, a public Spanish-language media company. Univision Communications has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States.

For more information, please visit www.univision.net.

Are ALL these viewers illegal? Of course not. But things like this just burn me. Why are we the only country on earth (seemingly) that refuses to place its military on its borders en mass? Yeah, we have the token NG presence in some places... but it's time to defend our country from this invasion.

And I can't believe that people call folks like you xenophobic idiots! :roll:

There are a lot of valid reasons to oppose unlimited and illegal immigration from south of the border, but when most of the complaints sound like this, it's hard to think you're mad for any reason other than the possibility that someone other than European Christians will have an impact on our national culture. Do you even listen to yourself? An armed military response...to prevent Univision from being the most popular TV network? Are you some kind of moron?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Hmmm, a network that 20% of the country (legal or not) is watching and pretty much only watching

While the other 80% of us divide our attention amongst the other 499 channels (not to mention the other 5-8 networks)

Wow, kinda makes sense that they would be #1

Whoopee! I'm holding out for foro te anandtecha

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
There are a lot of valid reasons to oppose unlimited and illegal immigration from south of the border, but when most of the complaints sound like this, it's hard to think you're mad for any reason other than the possibility that someone other than European Christians will have an impact on our national culture. Do you even listen to yourself? An armed military response...to prevent Univision from being the most popular TV network? Are you some kind of moron?
People react to stories such as this because the latest wave of immigrants from south of the border are not joining the American melting pot as the waves before them did.

Those from Asia, southern and eastern Europe, the Middle East...none of those demographics were on the Mayflower, nor were they part of the cultural landscape during the founding of this nation...yet these waves of immigrants have managed to retain their cultural identity without expecting America to accomodate them, and have contributed greatly to what defines America as a cross-section of various cultures.

Hispanic immigrants also have an opportunity to join the American experience and contribute to our culture...but the perception is that these recent immigrant waves are attempting to replicate the cultures from which they come...and our politically correct and corporate driven society continues to accomodate them, rather than encourage them to embrace that which has made America great since its inception.

Granted, our immigration process is part of the problem...hard for any wave of immigrants to embrace American culture if they do not have a path to citizenship.

It is a double edged sword.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if the waves of immigrants before them embraced the local traditions to join the "melting pot" and left their own behind, we'd all be living in tipi's and wigwam's right now.

the melting pot is a myth. it's not about "not adapting," the spanish channels are just obviously providing a product that people, even non native spanish speakers, are interested in. the market has spoken. besides, if you moved from America to Spain, would you really never want to watch your favorite American programs ever again? I know I'd sure as hell be tuning in to the US broadcast of Lost every week ;)

xochi

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
People react to stories such as this because the latest wave of immigrants from south of the border are not joining the American melting pot as the waves before them did.

Those from Asia, southern and eastern Europe, the Middle East...none of those demographics were on the Mayflower, nor were they part of the cultural landscape during the founding of this nation...yet these waves of immigrants have managed to retain their cultural identity without expecting America to accomodate them, and have contributed greatly to what defines America as a cross-section of various cultures.

Hispanic immigrants also have an opportunity to join the American experience and contribute to our culture...but the perception is that these recent immigrant waves are attempting to replicate the cultures from which they come...and our politically correct and corporate driven society continues to accomodate them, rather than encourage them to embrace that which has made America great since its inception.

Granted, our immigration process is part of the problem...hard for any wave of immigrants to embrace American culture if they do not have a path to citizenship.

It is a double edged sword.

I get what you?re saying, but I disagree with some of it. The History of the US is often intertwined with the Spanish/Mexican History. The oldest cities in the US are St. Augustine Florida, and Santa Fe New Mexico.

I have lived in Texas since birth and in my opinion this state has completely embraced Mexican Culture - you cannot remove one without the other. Cowboys, Rodeos and BBQ do not have origins to the Mayflower but they do represent Mexican Culture that is now seamlessly tied to Texas/ US culture. I think the future looks bright.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I get what you?re saying, but I disagree with some of it. The History of the US is often intertwined with the Spanish/Mexican History. The oldest cities in the US are St. Augustine Florida, and Santa Fe New Mexico.
I hear you...back in the day, Spain rivaled France and England as a global superpower, and we owe much of our history to Spanish culture and how it blended with the native tribes and cultures of the Americas.

What tends to annoy me are these protests, during which Hispanic immigrants present themselves as the indigenous inhabitants of the Americas...sure, some can trace their heritage and bloodlines to the Mayans, Aztecs and Native American tribes of the Americas, but most of Latin America's culture and language has ties to Spain at the height of its imperialistic power.

I have lived in Texas since birth and in my opinion this state has completely embraced Mexican Culture - you cannot remove one without the other. Cowboys, Rodeos and BBQ do not have origins to the Mayflower but they do represent Mexican Culture that is now seamlessly tied to Texas/ US culture. I think the future looks bright.
Like I said, Mexican or any Latin American culture have much to offer America...I mean, what defines a culture? American culture would be pretty bland if it remained aligned to the Mayflower...our society is rich and diverse because of immigrants, so I do not feel threatened by Hispanic culture.

What I do feel threatened by are Hispanics who choose to segregate themselves as a special interest group, and expect our society to provide them with special accomodations...mostly anchored on language.