Univision is #1 Network in America?

Jun 27, 2005
Oh boy...

Univision #1 Network for Entire Week Beating ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW
Thursday September 6, 1:04 pm ET
"Adios" to Separate Hispanic Ratings and "Hola" to Single National Service

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision captured the #1 network ranking among all Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics, and outdelivered ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW for the entire first week of Nielsen's single national panel (NPM).

In the first entire week (8/27/07-9/2/07) since all networks were reported from one single ratings sample, Univision ranked as the #1 network with an +11% advantage over its nearest competitor, FOX, and beating ABC by +43%, CBS by +42%, NBC by +57%, and fully +125% ahead of CW for all Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics. Univision was also the #1 ranked network all night every night Monday through Friday last week among the same coveted young adult demographic.

In addition, Univision aired 9 out of the top 20 programs of the entire week, regardless of language, among all Adults 18-34.

"Taking the #1 spot for the first week of Nielsen's single sample NTI ratings, clearly demonstrates Univision's ability to compete head-to-head with any and all networks," said Alina Falcon, Executive Vice President and Operating Manager of the Univision Network. "Now with a single ratings source, advertisers can see, more easily than ever, just how important Univision can be as part of their overall media plans."

Univision Communications Inc. is the premier Spanish-language media company in the United States. Its operations include Univision Network, the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the U.S. reaching 99% of U.S. Hispanic Households; TeleFutura Network, a general-interest Spanish-language broadcast television network, which was launched in 2002 and now reaches 89% of U.S. Hispanic Households; Galavision, the country's leading Spanish-language cable network; Univision Television Group, which owns and operates 62 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; Univision Radio, the leading Spanish-language radio group which owns and/or operates 70 radio stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and 5 stations in Puerto Rico; Univision Music Group, which includes Univision Records, Fonovisa Records, La Calle Records and Mexico-based Disa Records as well as Fonomusic and America Musical Publishing companies; and Univision Online, the premier Spanish-language Internet destination in the U.S. located at www.univision.com. Univision Communications also has a 50% interest in TuTv, a joint venture formed to broadcast Televisa's pay television channels in the U.S., and a non-voting 14.9% interest in Entravision Communications Corporation, a public Spanish-language media company. Univision Communications has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States.

For more information, please visit www.univision.net.

Are ALL these viewers illegal? Of course not. But things like this just burn me. Why are we the only country on earth (seemingly) that refuses to place its military on its borders en mass? Yeah, we have the token NG presence in some places... but it's time to defend our country from this invasion.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Adults 18-34, not just Hispanics

I watch it too :eek:

it's also not a fair comparison when there was virtually nothing on tv last week. sure, it's "technically" the first week of the fall season, but very few shows have been rolled out yet. I haven't had tv in two weeks and I think I was compelled to download, like, 2 shows total from any network (and I watch a ton of tv shows).

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Two words: Sabado Gigante

Lots of T&A, crude/basic humor, & dopey characters. Actually, that makes up a lot of the novellas they show the rest of the week too.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sabado Gigante!

Univision has hot women wearing revealing clothing, even when it has nothing to do with the topic of the show. American networks have given us Roseanne and Rosie ODonnell. What would YOU rather watch?

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Sabado Gigante!

Univision has hot women wearing revealing clothing, even when it has nothing to do with the topic of the show. American networks have given us Roseanne and Rosie ODonnell. What would YOU rather watch?

Something I can understand...

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Why are we the only country on earth (seemingly) that refuses to place its military on its borders en mass? Yeah, we have the token NG presence in some places... but it's time to defend our country from this invasion.

Well, there are a few mitigating factors that make it unreasonable to place our military along our border:

1. Our border is huge. Just overwhelmingly, mind-blowingly vast. Between Canada and Mexico we have 7,473 miles of border (a number which does not take into account thousands more miles of coastline). To adequately defend a border of this size would require far more military personnel than we have in this country, even when troops are not deployed. Even if you only guard against Mexico, that's 1,951 miles, far more than we could adequately "defend" without increasing the size of our military, or stationing all our troops in one place, leaving us vulnerable elsewhere.

2. Our military is not only needed along the border. You speak of placing troops along the border as though if no one gets in, no troops will be needed anywhere in the interior of the country. This is absurd. For a country like Germany, it is no problem to mobilize border troops and get them inland in the event of an emergency, because Germany is relatively small. America is a huge, sprawling country. If we had all our troops along the Mexican border, and we had need for them in New York (for example), it would take at least a day to mobilize the units and ready the transport. This response time is hugely important in the event of an actual catastrophe, and is the primary reason for having military bases spread throughout the country.

3. Obviously our conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan reduce the number of troops we could devote to any such endeavor requiring the use of any sizeable number of troops (which any border closing operation would certainly be).

4. Relations with Mexico and Canada are extremely important to our economy. If we started amassing troops on the border, it would most certainly be taken as signs of open hostility by a Mexican President who feels that even the lax security we have now is somehow an insult to his country. Kowtowing to political pressure from a deluded megalomaniac like Felipe Calderon is stupid, but our country still needs to trade with Mexico (not to mention the fabulous supply of cheap labor they offer).

Bottom line: it's just not going to happen.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
musica musica! sabado gigante! Sofia Vergara! Chaka Chaka(sp)!

*farts*

saco con el dedo porque con el pie no puedo!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
"I have said that Mexico does not stop at its border, that wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico" - Felipe Calderón, President of Mexico

Univision being #1 is no surprise.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sabado Gigante!

Oh crap, I think maybe I have watched it. I found a channel once that was in Spanish and some terrible soaps but the women were absolutely insanely hot. Maybe it was univision. I admit I watched for a few min. It was better than most of the crap on the other channels.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The President would probably be within his authority to fully militarize the border on his own pursuant the current interpretation of the Insurrection Act. Congress would probably not be too happy but I'd bet that the action would receive pretty good public support.

Large parts of the border could be sealed pretty quickly with the forces at hand. Ideally a dedicated force would be formed (probably under Army command) to conduct border security operations. This could be recruited for like any other part of the military. The scope/land area they deal with should be constrained pretty close to the border and let the Border Patrol handle anyone who might get past.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Why are we the only country on earth (seemingly) that refuses to place its military on its borders en mass? Yeah, we have the token NG presence in some places... but it's time to defend our country from this invasion.

Well, there are a few mitigating factors that make it unreasonable to place our military along our border:

1. Our border is huge. Just overwhelmingly, mind-blowingly vast. Between Canada and Mexico we have 7,473 miles of border (a number which does not take into account thousands more miles of coastline). To adequately defend a border of this size would require far more military personnel than we have in this country, even when troops are not deployed. Even if you only guard against Mexico, that's 1,951 miles, far more than we could adequately "defend" without increasing the size of our military, or stationing all our troops in one place, leaving us vulnerable elsewhere.

2. Our military is not only needed along the border. You speak of placing troops along the border as though if no one gets in, no troops will be needed anywhere in the interior of the country. This is absurd. For a country like Germany, it is no problem to mobilize border troops and get them inland in the event of an emergency, because Germany is relatively small. America is a huge, sprawling country. If we had all our troops along the Mexican border, and we had need for them in New York (for example), it would take at least a day to mobilize the units and ready the transport. This response time is hugely important in the event of an actual catastrophe, and is the primary reason for having military bases spread throughout the country.

3. Obviously our conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan reduce the number of troops we could devote to any such endeavor requiring the use of any sizeable number of troops (which any border closing operation would certainly be).

4. Relations with Mexico and Canada are extremely important to our economy. If we started amassing troops on the border, it would most certainly be taken as signs of open hostility by a Mexican President who feels that even the lax security we have now is somehow an insult to his country. Kowtowing to political pressure from a deluded megalomaniac like Felipe Calderon is stupid, but our country still needs to trade with Mexico (not to mention the fabulous supply of cheap labor they offer).

Bottom line: it's just not going to happen.

You don't think 140,000 troops would cover the Mexico-U.S. border? :confused:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Coquito
Two words: Sabado Gigante

Lots of T&A, crude/basic humor, & dopey characters. Actually, that makes up a lot of the novellas they show the rest of the week too.

/nod

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Sabado Gigante!

Oh crap, I think maybe I have watched it. I found a channel once that was in Spanish and some terrible soaps but the women were absolutely insanely hot. Maybe it was univision. I admit I watched for a few min. It was better than most of the crap on the other channels.

Yeah, that sounds like the one.

Originally posted by: Stoneburner
they tend to throw scantily clad females on everything, including news programs.

Yep. :D

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Invasion? Christ.

No military on earth has ever had the manpower (numbers) the illegals now have. Invasion is an historic understatement. Several states are changing culture entirely.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I understand only a smattering of spanish, but the latinas are so beautiful, I watch sometimes. :D

Originally posted by: Stoneburner
they tend to throw scantily clad females on everything, including news programs.

Yep. :D
ROFLwaffles, I see I'm not alone. :beer:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Invasion? Christ.

No military on earth has ever had the manpower (numbers) the illegals now have. Invasion is an historic understatement. Several states are changing culture entirely.

Then you don't understand what the word invasion means. Look it up.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The original question has been thoroughly answered. This is now a babe thread.

I dated a girl a few years back who was half Mexican half Irish but she got her looks mostly from her dad who was full blooded Mexican. She had perfect olive skin, jet black hair, mesmerizing brown eyes. Most beautiful woman I've ever known. We're talking 9.9 out of 10. Didn't work out though. I was way too ugly for her. That and she was kinda nuts. But damn, I do have a soft spot for latinas.