Question Universal M.2 to USB adapter

schvankus

Apr 15, 2021
I would like an adapter that I could use for different types of M.2 drives with different keys so I can recover data from dead or broken computers, or just transferring to a new build. Does something like that exist? I know you can get a SATA adapter or an NVMe adapter, etc. But I'd like one that could handle all or most if they exist. Thanks

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't think I've seen a combo unit anywhere as an external adapter. All the ones I've seen either support SATA or NVMe drives, but never both.

If you work on computers often, it's probably just worth it (and cheap enough) to buy each kind.

schvankus

Apr 15, 2021
I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case but thought I'd give it a shot. I remember seeing docking stations that handled 2.5" and 3.5" drives and thought that would be a great idea in the new M.2 format. Kind of like a media card reader for SSDs.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reactions: UsandThem

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
I forget the brand, but it will read and write to NVME but it will only read SATA. Or the other way around. I forget.

That's very strange. The hardware capabilities necessary to enable reading from a NVMe or SATA drive through a USB bridge are identical to the hardware capabilities necessary for writing. So any read-only limitation is not a fundamental consequence of the adapter hardware itself. Probably something else caused one of your drives or filesystems to be treated as read-only.

schvankus

Apr 15, 2021
Now I'm finding these everywhere! This
I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case but thought I'd give it a shot. I remember seeing docking stations that handled 2.5" and 3.5" drives and thought that would be a great idea in the new M.2 format. Kind of like a media card reader for SSDs.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This is what I had in mind!