unity real time render

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yea that's why of all the games I have to play I'm logging into to SC tonight and playing it instead of anything else.

Nothing has given me the goosebumps that SC gives. It's easily the first AAAA title to ever be made. I've already spent about $500 on ships, controllers, tablets, etc. to create this mini sim pit.

And even if I couldn't touch it ever again, it's already money well spent because of the amazing entertainment I've gotten from the mini PU and Arena Commander.

Xw1YwnL.jpg

Don't get me wrong.. all of these engines today are pretty badass. It's not like 'ehhh CryEngine rules everything else sucks'.

Everything's amazing. Unity, URE, CryEngine, StarEngine, ID Tech, etc. As stated before it's mostly up to the art design and asset creation team at this point.

I'd take the same attitude if someone said Unreal sucked.. uh, no. It's amazing tech.

Last edited:

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
if all engines can handle high quality assets and post process fx then why arent we still using the original quake engine?

You know what I am talking about but since you have no knowledge and are trying to not look stupid after making this stupid post. Any of the major current engines, such as the most recent UE, Cryengine, Frostbite.

So I shall ask what exactly do you think is special about this that the others wouldn't be able to do. All I see is HQ art assets and animations.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yea. My take away from the vid was like cool, the engine can do that. But the holy shit factor goes to the artists and animators. That's a lot of meticulous work.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You know what I am talking about but since you have no knowledge and are trying to not look stupid after making this stupid post. Any of the major current engines, such as the most recent UE, Cryengine, Frostbite.

So I shall ask what exactly do you think is special about this that the others wouldn't be able to do. All I see is HQ art assets and animations.

Really? You don't see any post processing? Ok then.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Don't get me wrong.. all of these engines today are pretty badass. It's not like 'ehhh CryEngine rules everything else sucks'.

Everything's amazing. Unity, URE, CryEngine, StarEngine, ID Tech, etc. As stated before it's mostly up to the art design and asset creation team at this point.

Exactly. The major engines are all amazing at this point. They can all render more than current GPU power can keep up with, so it's a balancing act for the artists to make the best looking, playable content for their targeted audience.

It's an amazing time for anyone who digs development, because they can download Unity, CryEngine, or UDK basically for free, and jump into it.

I'm a huge CE fan, but I have enough objectivity to recognize that the UDK community and official support are superior. The creators choose the tools that best fit their needs, whether it's Unity, CE, or UDK. In the end, it's the execution on any of the above platforms that will determine success.

The critics? Well...they just make sh*tty GIFs of the creators and post out their ass about topics they have no fundamental knowledge of.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Exactly. The major engines are all amazing at this point. They can all render more than current GPU power can keep up with, so it's a balancing act for the artists to make the best looking, playable content for their targeted audience.

It's an amazing time for anyone who digs development, because they can download Unity, CryEngine, or UDK basically for free, and jump into it.

I'm a huge CE fan, but I have enough objectivity to recognize that the UDK community and official support are superior. The creators choose the tools that best fit their needs, whether it's Unity, CE, or UDK. In the end, it's the execution on any of the above platforms that will determine success.

The critics? Well...they just make sh*tty GIFs of the creators and post out their ass about topics they have no fundamental knowledge of.

Are you saying I don't understand game development? :D:D

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Awesome. 2018. Tops. It's funny my little thread about a game engine triggered the whales.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Sorry I'm not a nerd who keeps complete track of model numbers of video cards. It was done on 1 shipping video card. That's the important thing.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
lol, I just read the thread. You all got trolled hard. Though it's nice to see Unity finally getting out of the stone age after all these years. :thumbsup:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
lol, I just read the thread. You all got trolled hard. Though it's nice to see Unity finally getting out of the stone age after all these years. :thumbsup:

Just wait till all their dreams fall apart. Im sure it wont be st. croberts fault. It will be because goons. GOONS. GOOOOONSSSS.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Just wait till all their dreams fall apart. Im sure it wont be st. croberts fault. It will be because goons. GOONS. GOOOOONSSSS.

The Star Citizen is a scam schtick carried more weight when there wasn't a demo.

Now the demo is up and it's badass.