unity real time render

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Unity has been rendering games in real time since the beginning.

So has CryEngine, Unreal, IDTECH5, etc.

This is real-time motion capture.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
looks way better then any cryengine thing.

No, it doesn't.

What's in the vid is just motion capture with low latency.

These are just engines.

'looks way better' is about 95% in the responsibility of those creating assets, which is usually done outside of the engine.

I can pull assets out of Skyrim that make Skyrim and put them in CryEngine.. or Unity, etc. It's all about the assets.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Looks good, we might have a full game like that running on a 'regular gaming rig' in about five years from now. Instead of giving us tech demos - while we know very well that we'll never get a full game looking like that any time soon - I'd rather see them making an actual CGI movie instead. I'd definitely pay to go watch something like that at the theaters. The last full CGI movie I saw at the theaters was Advent Children, heh (and no, I don't count Pixar movies, I'm talking about something gritty with near photo realism, and an "art style" that stays as much as possible away from looking like a kiddy movie).

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
IT says render. Not motion capture read the description:

00216339.0001.gif

And that was running on 1 970gtx or whatever. Its all in the description.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
It's a very good looking demo, certainly beyond what I think of the Unity Engine historically (like the old version of Rust). The real time reflections and global illumination look particularly impressive.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's a very good looking demo, certainly beyond what I think of the Unity Engine historically (like the old version of Rust). The real time reflections and global illumination look particularly impressive.

I agree. You can tell from the set though that they dont need to render much till the end. Still looking great for 1 970.

BiNMxk1.jpg

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
this is real time mocap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQpJgLs51w

Croberts needs this tech. Instead he built 5 mocap studios.

buahaha

you can punch me in the stomach.

I thought this was something else and didn't watch the video.

Seriously, I'll own this one and thought it was the other vid floating around on reddit atm in which someone mistakenly called it a real time render.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4axmdd/new_unreal_engine_has_instant_rendering/

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
looks way better then any cryengine thing.

If this highly skilled team attempted the same demo in any of the major engines (Unreal / CryEngine / Fox / etc) it would likely be equally impressive.

You're looking at a blend of great artists and render quality.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If this highly skilled team attempted the same demo in any of the major engines (Unreal / CryEngine / Fox / etc) it would likely be equally impressive.

You're looking at a blend of great artists and render quality.

I think they would hit some limitations. Its way higher res then cryengine. Hell they just gave cryengine away for free on humblebundle.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I think they would hit some limitations. Its way higher res then cryengine. Hell they just gave cryengine away for free on humblebundle.

It's not 'higher rez' than cryengine. lol. And right now there's nothing that has the render pipeline capability that CIG's Star Citizen port of Cry Engine has. Nothing. Not to mention the native low level DX12 support that CE5 has. They beat everyone to the punch on that.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

Higher "res?" What does that mean? What limitations would they hit, specifically?

If you're talking about texture quality - that is purely up to the artist. Both engines are capable of resolutions far higher than any GPU is going to put up with in real-time.

CryEngine has been "free" since 2007, btw. License fees apply when you build a retail game.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Higher "res?" What does that mean? What limitations would they hit, specifically?

If you're talking about texture quality - that is purely up to the artist. Both engines are capable of resolutions far higher than any GPU is going to put up with in real-time.

CryEngine has been "free" since 2007, btw. License fees apply when you build a retail game.

With CIG's 64bit rendering pipeline overhaul of CE, it's hard to even suggest there's a ceiling. They can render out a space practically the size of our solar system..... all with 4k textures, etc.

It's more about compute power at this point.

Besides most assets aren't even made in engine. They're imported.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
With CIG's 64bit rendering pipeline overhaul of CE, it's hard to even suggest there's a ceiling. They can render out a space practically the size of our solar system..... all with 4k textures, etc.

It's more about compute power at this point.

Besides most assets aren't even made in engine. They're imported.

j3B27bU.gif

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Will you test the goon game? Solar Plebeian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RU6BeBEwFg

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
What do you think game engines do? They render in real time.

The reason it looks good is that it has high quality art assets. Any of the major engines can do the same.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if all engines can handle high quality assets and post process fx then why arent we still using the original quake engine?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
if all engines can handle high quality assets and post process fx then why arent we still using the original quake engine?

Why aren't you answering my post?

You seem to be an expert on 3D rendering, so I would really love to hear your input. Instead of answering direct questions, you keep posting adolescent GIFs of some guy who has a skillset you'll never even get close to approaching.

Answer the question.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

You know those big ships have their own moving physics grids, right? These are basically floating levels within a giant world that have their completely own dedicated physics model and are completely destructible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2z-1ki1P3Q

Making them move and cooperate in a different space is a huge, tough undertaking.

Plus, the game is a WIP and is not finished yet.

Pointing out bugs at this point is like walking into a $20M mansion that hasn't even had the electrical ran yet and complaining that the lights don't work.

CIG took a huge gamble in allowing super early pre alpha access because anybody ignorant of the process would see stuff and cast stones without any understanding of what's going on.

GTA5 was super buggy too when they were only 3 years into development.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You know those big ships have their own moving physics grids, right? These are basically floating levels within a giant world that have their completely own dedicated physics model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2z-1ki1P3Q

Making them move and cooperate in a different space is a huge, tough undertaking.

Plus, the game is a WIP and is not finished yet.

Pointing out bugs at this point is like walking into a $20M mansion that hasn't even had the electrical ran yet and complaining that the lights don't work.

CIG took a huge gamble in allowing super early pre alpha access because anybody ignorant of the process would see stuff and cast stones without any understanding of what's going on.

GTA5 was super buggy too when they were only 3 years into development.

BiNMxk1.jpg