United States mistakenly named Slovenia as a partner in its war

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2466937
War Money Accidentally Offered to Peaceful Slovenia
Fri March 28, 2003 10:42 AM ET
LJUBLJANA (Reuters) - The United States mistakenly named Slovenia as a partner in its war against Iraq and even offered it a share of the money budgeted for the conflict, the tiny Alpine nation said on Thursday.
One day after hundreds of Slovenians hit the streets to protest the inclusion of their nation in Tuesday's U.S. war budget, Prime Minister Anton Rop said Washington goofed.

"When we asked for an explanation, the State Department told us we were named in the document by mistake as we are not a member of the coalition against Iraq," Rop told a hastily arranged news conference.

Slovenia was one of the states named in the $75 billion U.S. war budget which must be approved by Congress and includes grants to partners in the U.S.-led military action. Slovenia was slated to get $4.5 million from the budget, which Rop said will not be forthcoming.

"We are a part of no such coalition. We are a part of a coalition for peace," Rop said.

Slovenia also said on Thursday it had granted a U.S. request to allow airplanes with humanitarian aid, refugees and wounded fly over the country to and from Iraq.

But it stuck to an earlier decision to hold off a U.S. request to transport military equipment through the country, until the U.N. Security Council authorized force against Iraq.

Slovenia borders Italy to the west, Austria to the north, Hungary to the east and Croatia to the south.
hope this isnt a repost

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
lol if you're not with us you're against us! unless you're so small that we'll decide for you! :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
[What if Slovenia missed this error]

2 weeks from now:
personal secretary to the President of Slovenia: Sir! You have an urgent letter from the US Government!
President: Ah hell! Better not be another "Join the Coalition" pamphlet. rip OMG! Woohoo! $4.5million! US!! woot!! Hold my calls, book me a vacation to Brazil, call my wife, it's party time!!!!!! :D

[/]

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Are you KIDDING ME?? Slovenia isn't for the war!!!! I totally have changed my mind. We need to IMMEDIATELY withdraw our troops from iraq!! :p

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
You think the white house will at least proof read and double check their press relase. Sheesh, dang government employee :p