United Devices (grid.org) All Over? :(

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My UD Agent just started flashing that it couldn't dump off its work units :(

http://www.grid.org/home.htm

BREAKING NEWS: GRID.ORG MISSION COMPLETE
On Friday, April 27, 2007, Grid.org announced it has completed its mission to demonstrate the viability and benefits of large-scale Internet-based grid computing, and will be retiring its famous efforts to support critical health research.

Grid.org was the largest and most ambitious public interest grid venture ever attempted, and thanks to Grid.org and its millions of members, dozens of similar global grid projects have been able to catch on and succeed by following its footsteps.

Thank you to all our members!
The excellent work Grid.org has done, both in contributing massive compute power to critical health research and in establishing this Internet-based model as beneficial, would not have been possible without the faith, efforts, and support of our millions of members worldwide. Thank you so much for your years of ongoing support!

Facts and Figures

* As of April 2007, Grid.org managed 3,732,696 global devices, with 1,340,913 registered members who contributed 210 years of CPU time daily
* Grid.org's top 5 teams have nearly 100,000 members combined
* Our top 5 all-time teams (by CPU hours contributed):
o Team 2ch, created 4/5/2001 with over 40,000 years of CPU time donated
o Easynews, created 2/2/2002 with over 27,000 years of CPU time donated
o Team Discovery, created 4/5/2001 with nearly 4000 years of CPU time donated
o Vulture Central II, created 4/3/2001 with over 3000 years of CPU time donated
o Dutch Power Cows against cancer, created 4/3/2001 with over 3000 years of CPU time donated

stoneysilence

Mar 3, 2007
I agree, it was all of a sudden and a bit suspect in my opinion. Supposedly according to the forums they were in the middle of developing a new client so wonder if their funding just pulled out or something. Sad because I had been using them for 5-6 years now. Been trying to download Folding@Home but been having nothing but problems with their client's.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
exacty what problems do you have? (you can post an extract of the log file if you want)
otherwise try a Boinc project

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Philippart
exacty what problems do you have? (you can post an extract of the log file if you want)

It's not really a problem, after having read the announcement I actually still appear to be receiving and processing WUs. What started this was the standard flashing yellow exclamation mark over the client in my systray. When I checked the message (which usually says "There was a communication error, blah blah blah" it was a system message pointing to the above linked and quoted message.

And YES I agree with everyone who said it seems sudden.

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: stoneysilence
I agree, it was all of a sudden and a bit suspect in my opinion. Supposedly according to the forums they were in the middle of developing a new client so wonder if their funding just pulled out or something. Sad because I had been using them for 5-6 years now. Been trying to download Folding@Home but been having nothing but problems with their client's.

Could you link some of those forum posts?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: thorin
My UD Agent just started flashing that it couldn't dump off its work units :(

http://www.grid.org/home.htm

BREAKING NEWS: GRID.ORG MISSION COMPLETE
On Friday, April 27, 2007, Grid.org announced it has completed its mission to demonstrate the viability and benefits of large-scale Internet-based grid computing, and will be retiring its famous efforts to support critical health research.

Grid.org was the largest and most ambitious public interest grid venture ever attempted, and thanks to Grid.org and its millions of members, dozens of similar global grid projects have been able to catch on and succeed by following its footsteps.

Thank you to all our members!
The excellent work Grid.org has done, both in contributing massive compute power to critical health research and in establishing this Internet-based model as beneficial, would not have been possible without the faith, efforts, and support of our millions of members worldwide. Thank you so much for your years of ongoing support!

Facts and Figures

* As of April 2007, Grid.org managed 3,732,696 global devices, with 1,340,913 registered members who contributed 210 years of CPU time daily
* Grid.org's top 5 teams have nearly 100,000 members combined
* Our top 5 all-time teams (by CPU hours contributed):
o Team 2ch, created 4/5/2001 with over 40,000 years of CPU time donated
o Easynews, created 2/2/2002 with over 27,000 years of CPU time donated
o Team Discovery, created 4/5/2001 with nearly 4000 years of CPU time donated
o Vulture Central II, created 4/3/2001 with over 3000 years of CPU time donated
o Dutch Power Cows against cancer, created 4/3/2001 with over 3000 years of CPU time donated

Congrats everyone especially to Dutch Power Cows against cancer. :thumbsup:

stoneysilence

Mar 3, 2007

The SMP Client was Corrupt everytime I tried downloading it. I asked on the Folding Forums about it and they said there was no problems even though another user also reported the same thing. I tried it in 3 different browsers, 2 ftp clients and on 2 different computers. I gave up and am now using the World Community Grid Boinc client.

stoneysilence

Mar 3, 2007
Originally posted by: thorin

It's not really a problem, after having read the announcement I actually still appear to be receiving and processing WUs. What started this was the standard flashing yellow exclamation mark over the client in my systray. When I checked the message (which usually says "There was a communication error, blah blah blah" it was a system message pointing to the above linked and quoted message.

And YES I agree with everyone who said it seems sudden.

He was asking about my problems with the Folding@Home client I believe. But my Grid.org wouldn't downloaded any more WU's. They sat there for a day or two not doing anything before the message was posted.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Sorry to hear you had some problems with the SMP client.
If you are still interested I can email you the SMP client I downloaded. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it over when I get home tonight.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Humm, this could be a double-whammy. UD also sponsors Dnet.

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004

The SMP Client was Corrupt everytime I tried downloading it. I asked on the Folding Forums about it and they said there was no problems even though another user also reported the same thing. I tried it in 3 different browsers, 2 ftp clients and on 2 different computers. I gave up and am now using the World Community Grid Boinc client.

Do you need some help getting it up and running? Did you run the install batch file and use an Account with administrative priveledges and a password on it? Can you post a log file?

stoneysilence

Mar 3, 2007
I gave up on Folding@Home, am using World Community Grid with the BOINC Client and also am running Rosetta@Home.

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Now I gotta pick a new project to put my cycles in to.

Anyone know if there's software similar to UD_mon for world community grid?

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
World Community Grid uses both the Grid.org client or Boinc.

Ok stupid follow-up question does Anandtech have a WCG team? Can someone point me to some linkage?

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What a lame way to inform the people who had been attempting to help find a cure for cancer. The experiment is over? WTF kind of explanation is that? They simultaneously closed the program and the forums, so you couldn't even attempt to find out what was going on.

In essence it was "We thank you for the use of your computers for the last seven years. Now leave."

Total BS if you ask me.

They had recently announced that they were going to be releasing the first new client in years with support for dual core processors and other new features. These upgrades were scheduled to begin rolling out in Q2 2007, so SOMETHING definitely happened to cancel the project so abruptly.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Not sure if it was possible in this project, but sucks if anyone was holding off for a big dump.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
What a lame way to inform the people who had been attempting to help find a cure for cancer. The experiment is over? WTF kind of explanation is that? They simultaneously closed the program and the forums, so you couldn't even attempt to find out what was going on.

Agreed, I had put just over 6 years and over 16 years in computing time into UD, so I now have no reason to upgrade .... sad, indeed. At least my rigs are running a lot cooler now.