Unintended effects of nanny state policies

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/soda_ban_to_sap_your_4t5pEK0hvo3PoNZEBOdZ2L

Now that the ban is going into effect here is how businesses actually have to cope.

Typically, a pizzeria charges $3 for a 2-liter bottle of Coke. But under the ban, customers would have to buy six 12-ounce cans at a total cost of $7.50 to get an equivalent amount of soda.

“I really feel bad for the customers,” said Lupe Balbuena of World Pie in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn.

No 2 liters with delivery. Even if its for like 4-5 people. Nope!

Families will get pinched at kid-friendly party places, which will have to chuck their plastic pitchers because most hold 60 ounces — even though such containers are clearly intended for more than one person.

Clearly intended for more than one person. Whoops!

And if you’re looking for a night of bottle service at a Manhattan hot spot, be warned: Spending $300 on a bottle of vodka no longer entitles you to a full complement of mixers.

So when you order vodka, they can't bring out a pitcher/carafe for you to mix your own drinks. totally has nothing to do with obesity, hahaha, lol, New York.

“Oh, my God. Seriously?” said Lamia Sunti, owner of the swanky West Village club Le Souk Harem. “It’s not like one person is going to be drinking the whole carafe. It’s silly.”

lololololololol.

Last edited:

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nanny state insanity at its finest. The people who vote for these clowns deserve what they get, but I feel sorry for those who didn't vote for them and instead got saddled with them because of their dumb fellow citizens.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Stop being such a bunch of useless fatties, and maybe the problem will go away by itself.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Stop being such a bunch of useless fatties, and maybe the problem will go away by itself.

Yes, and I guess we should just eliminate honors and AP classes in public schools until those dumbass regular kids smarten up. No child left behind!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Am pretty sure we all predicted it would lead to exactly this. Selling greater quantities of smaller beverages. Nothing solved. Economy takes a hit cuz now people cant get exactly what they want, so they buy less.

Are 2 liters still available in grocery stores?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is why I laugh at people who scoff at the midwest or south. High taxes, high cost of living, cold weather, and this nanny state bullshit. And they talk down to the rest of the country like we are the idiots.

Bloomberg is a little dictator.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Am pretty sure we all predicted it would lead to exactly this. Selling greater quantities of smaller beverages. Nothing solved. Economy takes a hit cuz now people cant get exactly what they want, so they buy less.

Are 2 liters still available in grocery stores?

Apparently yes, which is yet another reason why this is so retarded. I guess it'll take some extra physical effort on the part of one person to go to the grocery store and stock up on 2 liters for pizza night.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Conservatism-Vaginal probes, The pope,Big Biz and Wall Street thinks for you.

Basically we need people other than party radicals to actually vote in the primaries, then all of this would just slip away. But the American people don't give enough of a shit yet, so we're going to lose a lot of freedoms one way or another until they wake up. :p

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Bloomberg is a Republican turned Independent. Me thinks this ban is desgned to increase sugary drink sales...since you have to buy more and spend more. Does he really think this will solve the obesity problem? All this does is hit the poor and lower class working families in the wallet. This is as stupid as his laws governing pain patients and their doctors.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Bloomberg is a Republican turned Independent. Me thinks this ban is desgned to increase sugary drink sales...since you have to buy more and spend more. Does he really think this will solve the obesity problem? All this does is hit the poor and lower class working families in the wallet. This is as stupid as his laws governing pain patients and their doctors.

Bloomberg was a democrat, then republican, then independent. I think that should tell us something about the two parties in this country. When a guy can be part of both and be authoritarian like this.

Last edited:

sourn

Dec 26, 2012

The problem isn't the "fatties' it's the idiots who think they know what's best for everybody screwing up this country/world. If we could only find a way to regulate stupidity. Of course I'm sure you wouldn't want that as it would effect you then.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
The problem isn't the "fatties' it's the idiots who think they know what's best for everybody screwing up this country/world. If we could only find a way to regulate stupidity. Of course I'm sure you wouldn't want that as it would effect you then.

Ooooh, so cutting and witty!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I just find it bizarre that one part of the government tries to curb consumption of sugar, while the other part continues to massively susbidise its production.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I just find it bizarre that one part of the government tries to curb consumption of sugar, while the other part continues to massively susbidise its production.

:thumbsup: As one hand cuts down on revenue the other will have to up subsidies to deal with the income shortfall

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

Of course. The government loves to fund both sides of a problem it created. Just look at our war on drugs...

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Conservatism-Vaginal probes, The pope,Big Biz and Wall Street thinks for you.

Liberalism: What you think is a vaginal probing may not be a vaginal probing. If you want your vaginal probing to stop, just go to a safe are, use a call box, blow your whistle, or when all else fails get out your deadly ball-point pen.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm sympathetic to Bloomberg's goals because, lets face it, we have wayyyyy to many fat and obese people in this country. However I think this is a highly flawed and ineffective approach.