UNIFIL: Israeli Troops Were in Own Territory When Lebanon Opened Fire

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
pretty sure the UN is more neutral on the matter

Right! Let's have the UN decide all matters between Palestine/Israel/Lebanon for now on.

Now what do they have to say about those settlements?

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
Right! Let's have the UN decide all matters between Palestine/Israel/Lebanon for now on.

Now what do they have to say about those settlements?

did I ever say that?

the fact is both sides have been playing with this 2000 UN defined border for obviously 10 years.

to go and claim a decade later they didnt know the border is BULL FUCKING SHIT

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Yes, I know. :rolleyes: Already splained to you the murkiness of this.

There is no fucking murkiness to it. If I own 1 acre of land and I have a house with a fence around it covering only 1/4th an acre of land, if I reach over my fence to cut something it's still MY FUCKING LAND. Lebanon knew wtf was up, god you're a fucking dense piece of shit. Seriously how are you arguing this?

To the guy who quoted my islamo-fascists, I wasn't necessarily talking about Lebanon more about the fact that they're constantly trying to spin good on these nations. btw Lebanon is a piece of shit nation who harbors terrorists so yeah fuck them anyways.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
There is no fucking murkiness to it. If I own 1 acre of land and I have a house with a fence around it covering only 1/4th an acre of land, if I reach over my fence to cut something it's still MY FUCKING LAND. Lebanon knew wtf was up, god you're a fucking dense piece of shit. Seriously how are you arguing this?

To the guy who quoted my islamo-fascists, I wasn't necessarily talking about Lebanon more about the fact that they're constantly trying to spin good on these nations. btw Lebanon is a piece of shit nation who harbors terrorists so yeah fuck them anyways.

WTF kind of Fail is this?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Maps.

Learn what this word means.

More Fail. Come on, think about it.
=============
Copy/paste from an earlier Post
Learn to Think.

That's the murky part. How are those on the Lebanese side of the Border to know where the tree lies? They see the Isreali's reaching over the Fence, that appears to be an Incursion.
============

The Lebanese on the Ground didn't have something precise enough to know whether it was Israel or Lebanon.

majd

Jul 18, 2010
Being a Lebanese I am surprised about the amount of hate and racism, people should be ashamed from their selves,

The Lebanese army and the Lebanese state are headed by a Christian and this has nothing to do with religion.

The Lebanese army is not a match for the Israeli army, so starting a fight from our side is not something we take lightly.

The simple fact is that there was a dispute around the tree, all sides acknowledged that so the UN said to wait, Israel didn't (went bully style) and things went north.

We value life and we don’t kill and get killed for no good reason, but people here either oversimplify or overcomplicate things (depending on what suite them).

This is a disputed land over 2 countries that are at WAR, there is no harmony or synergy between the 2 parties, that's why the UN is there anyway, clashes can start about anything, even shooting a bird from across the border.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
=============
Learn to Think.

That's the murky part. How are those on the Lebanese side of the Border to know where the tree lies? They see the Isreali's reaching over the Fence, that appears to be an Incursion.
============

The Lebanese on the Ground didn't have something precise enough to know whether it was Israel or Lebanon.

The fucking border has been there for 10 years. its called GPS. its called knowing the area.

on top of the fact that the lebanese troop went up a chain of command asking to fire and it was granted, meaning that higher up knew they were breaking the border

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The fucking border has been there for 10 years. its called GPS. its called knowing the area.

on top of the fact that the lebanese troop went up a chain of command asking to fire and it was granted, meaning that higher up knew they were breaking the border

Whoopty do...and if the soldiers on the ground did not have these things or know exactly where the Border lies?

Now you're just making lame excuses.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
=============
Learn to Think.

============

Bullshit.

Any troops operating in that area will have detailed maps. Being troops they should know at all times where they are and thus use... oh lets say the Israeli fence as a reference point to determine where the border lies.

Go and look on google maps, I mean it. Go and have a look at that border. This isn't Russia we are talking about. It is tiny, easy enough to make detailed maps and train troops patrolling the area where the "red line" is that Israel is not to cross.

So you can either admit you're wrong or state that the Lebanese military is grossly incompetent and/or want to start a war.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Bullshit.

Any troops operating in that area will have detailed maps. Being troops they should know at all times where they are and thus use... oh lets say the Israeli fence as a reference point to determine where the border lies.

Go and look on google maps, I mean it. Go and have a look at that border. This isn't Russia we are talking about. It is tiny, easy enough to make detailed maps and train troops patrolling the area where the "red line" is that Israel is not to cross.

So you can either admit you're wrong or state that the Lebanese military is grossly incompetent and/or want to start a war.

They very well might be incompetent. However, due to the sensitive nature in that part of the world, Israel should have waited to be sure all were informed.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
Whoopty do...and if the soldiers on the ground did not have these things or know exactly where the Border lies?

Now you're just making lame excuses.

Lame excuses?

how do you explain a soldier whose duty is to watch the border, not having a map of some sort after 10 years of being honors on both sides?

the soldier shouldnt have been so eager to fire if he wasnt sure of where he was.

irresponsibility on the Lebanese soldier's end

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Being a Lebanese I am surprised about the amount of hate and racism, people should be ashamed from their selves,

The Lebanese army and the Lebanese state are headed by a Christian and this has nothing to do with religion.

The Lebanese army is not a match for the Israeli army, so starting a fight from our side is not something we take lightly.

The simple fact is that there was a dispute around the tree, all sides acknowledged that so the UN said to wait, Israel didn't (went bully style) and things went north.

We value life and we don’t kill and get killed for no good reason, but people here either oversimplify or overcomplicate things (depending on what suite them).

This is a disputed land over 2 countries that are at WAR, there is no harmony or synergy between the 2 parties, that's why the UN is there anyway, clashes can start about anything, even shooting a bird from across the border.

If you are "at war" your country should lie in ruins, as you yourself said you are no match for Israel.

What you have now is "war" only by words, not actions. Your countrymen killed a man over a tree, if this is what you believe should be done instead of talking to the Israeli soldiers you think are trimming a tree on your land, your country should burn by your own logic.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
They very well might be incompetent. However, due to the sensitive nature in that part of the world, Israel should have waited to be sure all were informed.

I'd like it for you to PM every time you go to your front yard

and you have to wait until I respond until you can actually leave.

sound fair?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you are "at war" your country should lie in ruins, as you yourself said you are no match for Israel.

What you have now is "war" only by words, not actions. Your countrymen killed a man over a tree, if this is what you believe should be done instead of talking to the Israeli soldiers you think are trimming a tree on your land, your country should burn by your own logic.

Fail

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Lame excuses?

how do you explain a soldier whose duty is to watch the border, not having a map of some sort after 10 years of being honors on both sides?

the soldier shouldnt have been so eager to fire if he wasnt sure of where he was.

irresponsibility on the Lebanese soldier's end

Israel should not just Ass-u-me that everyone on the other side is up to speed where the Border may or may not be.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006

The Lebanese army being incompetent does change things. Israel should not have to wait for the UN but under these circumstances it would be a good idea. But in the end it was the Lebanese who are at fault.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Lebanese army being incompetent does change things. Israel should not have to wait for the UN but under these circumstances it would be a good idea. But in the end it was the Lebanese who are at fault.

In this situation, it is prudent for Israel to wait for the UN. Hell, given what happened it is proof of this.

majd

Jul 18, 2010

do u really know whar u are taking about? now lebanon and israel are not at war? where did u get that from?

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
New article describing the meeting with IDF, Lebanon and the UN

http://www.debka.com/article/8950/

Israel has handed Lebanon an ultimatum. Before a line can be drawn on the Lebanese-Israeli clash which flared Tuesday, Aug. 3, the Lebanese Army 9th Brigade commander responsible for sending snipers to shoot at Israeli troops clearing brush on their side of the border and killing Lt. Col. (Res.) Dov Harari, must be dismissed or court-martialed, debkafile's military sources report.
This burst of Lebanese sniper fire triggered the clash.
The ultimatum was delivered at a three-way meeting at UNIFIL headquarters in Naqura on Wednesday night, August 4, attended by UN, IDF and Lebanese Army officers, after Israel learned that the guilty Lebanese officer is a Shiite who hangs out with Hizballah commanders in South Lebanon. The possibility is not precluded that his Hizballah friends tipped him off to the presence of high Israeli officers within firing distance from the Lebanese border.
This information runs contrary to the IDF's official line on the incident, which absolved Hizballah of involvement in the clash and claimed the Shiite terrorists were taken by surprise no less than the Israeli military
UNIFIL carried a warning to Beirut that if the Lebanese army failed to punish the officer, Israel would deem it an enemy force and feel free to destroy its military positions along their border.
Our military sources reveal that the Naqura conference was also attended unofficially by the American, French and German military attachés stationed at their embassies in Beirut. They were sent to apply the brakes on any further escalation of the Israeli-Lebanese military showdown.
A UNIFIL spokesman announced early Thursday morning, August 5 that Israel and Lebanon had both pledged to work with the UN to avoid violent incidents in the future. However, on the quiet, our sources report the UN peacekeepers agreed to convey the Israeli ultimatum and warning to Beirut with their own recommendation to remove the Lebanese officer responsible for the outbreak from the South in the interests of restoring calm.
The ultimatum did not give the Lebanese army a deadline for punishing the officer or say what action Israel would take if it was not met, but the Israeli officers at Naqura presented a tough and unyielding front. Jerusalem will not let the death of a high officer go unpunished.
The Lebanese high command and Hizballah were reminded of Israel's reprisal Saturday Aug. 1 against Hamas, for firing a Grad missile at Ashkelon on July 30: Israeli Air Force bombers struck a number of targets across the Gaza Strip, one of which killed the high-ranking Hamas commander, Issa Batran, commander of the organization's missile batteries.
It was to avenge his death that Hamas' military wing, Izzedin al-Qassam, launched half a dozen Grad missiles from Sinai against Eilat on Monday, August 2. (In the event, they missed their aim and hit Aqaba, killing one Jordanian.)
Far from winding down the Lebanese-Israel border crisis, the Israeli ultimatum looks more like the opening move for the next round. The Beirut government is not expected in Jerusalem, Washington or Naqura to punish the Shiite 9th Brigade officer lest Hizballah throw its weight behind him and canonize him as a national Shiite hero. Israel will then feel free to exercise its options for the Lebanese act of aggression.
The state of play between Israel and Lebanon was described by high Israeli military sources Thursday, Aug. 5, as fluid and incendiary. A single tree or rocket could blow up into a major conflagration and spread across the Middle East.
Time is rushing toward another flashpoint: Hizballah's secretary-general, Hassan Nasrallah, has threatened to pass the buck for the five-year old assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri to Israel to ease the pressure of guilt preying on his own organization. He promises to present "proof" of Israeli secret service complicity at a press conference on Monday, August 9.
Western military and intelligence circles in the Middle East agreed Thursday that Israel cannot afford to let a second casus belli from Lebanon go unanswered after the unprovoked death of its officer.
A tense Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu set the scene Thursday night with his first ever videotaped speech that was broadcast on three Israeli TV channels.
He held Hamas and the Lebanese government responsible for three cross-border attacks in as many days. While the third was staged by Lebanon, Netanyahu placed the Grad attacks on Ashkelon and Eilat squarely at the door of the Palestinian Hamas.
He made it clear that Israel would make both answerable when he said: "Don’t test our resolve to defend our citizens."

good. the commander deserves to be punished.

I hope lebanon takes the easy way out and punishes the one individual before israel destroys some outposts.

Also note, the UN is giving israel FULL support to carry out the mission if lebanon doesnt act correctly.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
do u really know whar u are taking about? now lebanon and israel are not at war? where did u get that from?

Is Israel shelling/bombing Lebanese army positions until none can be found or Lebanon surrenders.

Yes or no?

-edit- Read the above post and tell me if you still feel shooting the Israeli soldier in this case was the right thing to do.

UNIFIL carried a warning to Beirut that if the Lebanese army failed to punish the officer, Israel would deem it an enemy force and feel free to destroy its military positions along their border.

Last edited: