UniFi AP's w/ Untangle Router @ home, Not Working Properly

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's a few years old but it's seen who knows how much data I've passed through it lol. I was tired of my IPS's gateway/wireless router combo so I picked it up cheap and don't have any reservations about replacing it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I think that it’s time to call your provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'll be calling my provider in regards to replacing our HD receiver/DVR since it's basically a relic; I will inquire about any issues with our Internet service.

I did activate a new modem and once the router/AP's rebooted everything seems to be good. Had a few little issues with laptops not connecting for a short time but for the first time in nearly two weeks everything is normal, well 99.9%. Speed is about 180Mbps down and 6Mbps up, which is around what I should be getting. This is with pfSense still present on the network installed on the Jetway board.

Now, if there's no connection in the morning without any reboots then I've officially exhausted my options and quit networking.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I dunno if you already said it, but who is your provider and what model modem is it. Old and new...

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
ISP is Xfinity/Comcast and I was running a TP Link DOCSIS 3.0 modem... forget which model though I'd have to look at it.

New modem is a Netgear CM500

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I like having the feature set available, if I am running a game server, plex, or VPN. But yea, a regular router/firewall is not off the table. I am contacting my ISP today about possible issues with my modem--though I haven't had any in the past. Last night I configured a Netgear VPN firewall, along with DHCP on LAN and some static entries/reservations. Same thing happens... works for a time and then everything goes down--seemingly for no reason.

My focus has sort of shifted to the modem; the NICs on the Jetway board check out.
I wouldn't rule out the router just yet as I've seen the exact issue with my netgear firewalls that was solved by getting rid of the dns proxy option so that the real dns is passed directly.

Cable modems are pretty easy to test and generally either work or don't. I'd use a linux live cd directly connected for any testing and check out dslreports puma test, speedtest, and freeolas line test.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
...Cable modems are pretty easy to test and generally either work or don't.

That's what I've found too, the TP link modem seemed to be having a hard time with upstream channel bonding as of late; power cycling didn't help.

As for the Netgear firewall, or more specifically the FVS336G, it presented its own share of issues when it was on my network. The clunky outdated webUI, sluggish response times and EOL status to name a few. I ended up omitting it quite quickly and then turned my attention to the modem due to worsening conditions. Since then the pfSense box (aforementioned ex-Untangle appliance) has been re-instated and is working well.

I'm willing to be Untangle would be absolutely fine now, but pf does what I need it to.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I had a sb6141 that would drop out from time to time, took a hard reset to fix it. Replacing the modem corrected the issue. It was very strange the way it presented itself.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Just a quick update on this now that some time has passed...

Everything's been working great and the wireless AP's haven't given me any trouble to report. I did notice that one of my Steam game servers isn't appearing in the server browser since pfSense was installed but I don't really care too much about that. Port forwarding on that was a little less intuitive than what I was used to with Untangle but I think it's set up correctly. It might have something to do with that machine itself but to tell you the truth I probably wont look too far into it.

The XFINITY tech that came by on Thursday replaced the coax cable to the modem for some reason but everything's still working and speeds are A-ok and no more DNS issues.

woot!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
For some reason I can't seem to open ports for my network. They're properly configured in pfSense and on endpoints but could the problem be with my ISP?

Whenever I use an online port checker the port is always reported as being closed.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Whenever I use an online port checker the port is always reported as being closed.

Just to rule out a oops, you do have the software or PC running and listening on that port when you check it right?
Just because you have it open, if the recieving PC is not listening, it will always be reported as closed.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, for example my Steam game server uses a number of ports for VAC, Query etc. and one of them is 7777. If I put in my external IP and that port it is always reported as closed--whether the server is running or not. The server has also been absent from the master server list since updating the modem and router so I figure it's with NAT.

Forwarding always worked fine with Untangle.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Edit: misread previous post. Is your modem still just a modem, or is a gateway

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Still just a modem... the Netgear CM500.

I discovered that pfSense was experiencing an internal fault and was responsible for a few service drops--but I wasn't able to tell from the log what exactly was occurring; could be anything for all I know. The service returns after a couple of minutes but most if not all devices will lose connectivity. That sort of makes me wonder about the integrated NIC's on the Jetway board again... so I might do some experimenting with the new Intel NIC I had picked up weeks ago.

[EDIT]: I know I'll be crucified for this but right now I'm using an alternative 64-bit Untangle router and the Intel NIC; everything is working awesome so far.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
[8/21 UPDATE]:

Routing is still good but one of the UAP's is still causing issues at one end of the house; dropping connectivity to any connected clients. I'm going to see if relocating it further away from the others fixes the issue but I've had just about enough of troubleshooting them. Nothing stands out as the obvious cause and it's been more of a headache than anything else.

There was a UniFi software and firmware update that got installed prior to last weekend, and it seemed to improve the coverage, but alas my hopes of perfect connectivity were dashed. It's only the one UAP that seems to have issues so perhaps I need to just replace it, or omit it altogether.