Unidentical RAM

MarkeDC

Aug 3, 2006
Well... two years ago I made the mistake of getting the corsair XMS DDR500 PRO Ram that has those LED lights. Well I love the ram, so it has been a good choice. Anyway, I just got a 7800GS to revive my system till I build a whole new one when vista / dx10 settles in. So... Here is what I think my options are, and yall tell me what you think! THANKS!

A) I could get the corsair XMS DDR500 on Newegg, comes in a 2gb (1gbx2) pack, putting my system at 3GB. $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145596

B) I could get 1gb (2x512mb) crucial ballistix to put my system at 2gb, but its CAS timings and voltage seem to differ from my old sticks. $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820148015

C) I could bite the bullet and get the same exact ram, $250 at most places. 2gb Total ram with this option.
http://www.ubuyitdirect.com/corsair-1024mb-p-91177.html

I know B is not a good idea, Im curious what the different memories sizes will do? Of course C is the best bet... but most costly.

I guess i dont want to spend an extra $100 when I could possibly get 3gb instead of 2gb. Well just let me know whats up. Thanks!

Here is system spec...

2.8 P4C @ 3.3ish, usually have the bus at 240 (just cant hit 250, that was my goal :( maybe someone can help me with that :) )
P4c800-E DLX
1gb Corsair XMS DDR 500 PRO (slightly underclocked):confused:
XFX Geforce 7800GS @ 480 core and 1360 memory i think... lovin this card
etc etc etc

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
In order to get dual channel performance, you need to have memory installed in pairs. As long as you install the modules in a matched relation, then you can have different size modules used. All that's important is that each channel have the same amount of memory, and that the matched slots have the same amount.

Your board has 4 slots, A1, A2, B1, and B2. A1 and A2 are one of the two channels, you could consider each slot a "branch", and B1 and B2 are the other channel. To get dual channel, modules go in A1 and B1. If you add memory, you add equal amounts to each channel. So you have 512MB in each side right now, so if you put a 1GB module into each of the remaining sockets, you've added equal amounts to each channel, so there's 1.5GB per channel, 3GB available.

If you mismatch the colored slots, I don't think it will work properly in dual-channel, and will probably fall back to single channel. So make sure the blue slots have the same size module, and the black slots have matching sizes.

Only with some of the first Intel chipsets I think was it necessary for ALL modules to match, if that was ever the case.

Weird limitation on that board, apparently a chipset issue. If you use an 800MHz FSB, and PC2700 memory, it underclocks it to only 320MHz. But it doesn't do that to PC3200 memory.

Anyway, you can go with the 1st option, and give yourself 3GB total, or go cheaper and just use the 2x512MB for 2GB total. The Crucial modules are rated for slightly better timings, at slightly higher voltage. So if you're running them underclocked, at the voltage rated for your Corsair, then you won't have any problems, it'll all just run at the Corsair module's settings. You may need to check the BIOS after you install it to make sure it all gets set properly.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Your best bet by far, since you're running at 240 Mhz fsb, is to buy identical sticks. You should really consider that option first. But, if your RAM can take 2.8v (I would imagine that it can), then your only other real option is to go for the Ballistix PC4000. Although, if you really are wanting 3 GB, you could do it. BUT, you'd have to force your expensive Corsair Pro to run at the timings of the 1GB sticks that you choose. That means that you'd lose a considerable amount of performance, if you chose some with 3-4-4-x timings.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The Corsair 1GB modules he linked to run at the same timings as his current modules. They're essentially the same modules, but with plain "platinum" heatsinks instead of the LED heatsinks he has now (Corsair chalks up another sucker :)). Corsair doesn't specify the voltage for the non-LED modules in their documentation, but it's probably pretty much the same, within the acceptable range anyway.

The Crucial modules ought to work perfectly fine. Just decide based on whether you really think 3GB is going to be of any use to you.

It's unfortunate that nobody seems to have any stock of the TWINX1024-4000PT 1GB kit. The rare ones that do have it horribly overpriced ($267).

MarkeDC

Aug 3, 2006
Well when I bought the ram the LED version wasnt that much more expenive :p. Plus I was a kid then, lights are fun. DDR500 just hit the street tho... but anyway enough of my bad choice. I think I'm gonna sell the ram for somthing like $100 bucks and then get 1gb matched pair DDR500. Ill settle with 2gb. I just really do not trust that the ram will play nicely with one another, the anantech editor that wrote a review on my ram seems iffy on it and says I should check with my mobo manufacturer, asus. Also my friend told me alot of people have problems with dual channel and four sticks of ram. Maybe ill just get the 1gb sticks, XMS, if it works w00t but if not ill just sell the 512mb sticks to the highest bidder. God another $500 dollar upgrade, atleast my system will be roaring through till I want to upgrade to quad?cell? core vista eater.

Thanks guys and any additional input would rock

MarkeDC

Aug 3, 2006
Also, Do you think 2gb will fill my computers tummy? Im tired of running out of ram. I like to multi task and I do editing applications, avid, adobe lineup and After FX.

Also, here is another question. I have a media center system with an eVGA Mobo, Evga 7800gt, and an AMD 64 3000. Im noticing some audio skips, but not video oddly enough. Think its the cpu not encoding fast enough? I only encode to less than 6mb/s, so its hard to imagine its the hard drive, although right now it is recording to the system drive since no space is available on its 2nd drive (part of the $500 upgrade is a new hard drive for this system to put in raid0 to be a media server, that is till I upgrade my other computer and turn the old one into a file server).

Also :). Have yall seen those Hiper Power supplies? I thinking about getting one. all good reviews on newegg, what do yall think? I think they look sexy, cept for the short 20/24 pin connector...