Uni Sushi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: cchen
Uni is soooo good. Really high quality uni has such a great consistency and tastes like butter. I'd be willing to bet that most people here haven't had very high quality fish before....

i'd take that bet. seems a lot of people here complain about the funk, but it just shows bad quality fish.

i went to Hatsuhana this weekend and had the Uni...omg i nearly died it was so good...

Hatsuhana is decent :thumbsup:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Kalbi
Originally posted by: EmperorIQ
i'm not a sushi noob, I eat sushi about twice a month, sometimes 4 times a month, I sitll dont' like uni, its expensive and has a foul flavor

Volume eating of sushi does not prove you are not noob. There's more to sushi than Tuna and Salmon. Also if the sushi restaurant you go to offers "Spicy Tuna Roll" or "California Roll" there is a high chance you are a sushi noob. Finally if the sushi restaurant you go to is run by non-Japanese chefs trained in Japan, and he does not go every morning to the fish market at 5am to choose top choice quality fish, you are a sushi noob. Like the guy who goes to Shogun (run by a Korean).

I just don't like that a sushi place I like always seems to be out of Toro:|

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
i'm not a sushi noob, I eat sushi about twice a month, sometimes 4 times a month, I sitll dont' like uni, its expensive and has a foul flavor

Volume eating of sushi does not prove you are not noob. There's more to sushi than Tuna and Salmon. Also if the sushi restaurant you go to offers "Spicy Tuna Roll" or "California Roll" there is a high chance you are a sushi noob. Finally if the sushi restaurant you go to is run by non-Japanese chefs trained in Japan, and he does not go every morning to the fish market at 5am to choose top choice quality fish, you are a sushi noob. Like the guy who goes to Shogun (run by a Korean).

Sounds like the owner is a noob if he goes to the market every morning instead of finding a reliable vendor to deliver fresh goods every day that the owner can trust is high quality.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsei
ok, uni is an accquired choice. people would sometimes crack a quail egg on top (0.50 to $1.00 extra).

it looks like mud and has the consistency of mud. I believe it is actually the roe of sea urchin.

Somewhat correct. Generally people refer to fish eggs as roe. In this case, you are eating the reproductive organs of the sea urchin.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: torpid

Sounds like the owner is a noob if he goes to the market every morning instead of finding a reliable vendor to deliver fresh goods every day that the owner can trust is high quality.

yup..... almost all of the best restaurants has someone who delivers their fish...

Kalbi

Banned
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: cchen
Originally posted by: torpid

yup..... almost all of the best restaurants has someone who delivers their fish...

I meant handpicked by the owner or by a reputable fish-picker. Not delivered frozen like the cheap places.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Uni has a very mild flavor and it just melts in your mouth. The aftertaste is excellent, I like to eat uni last.

The texture somewhat slimy and it is cold but mmm, is it good!

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Dont like the texture nor the flavor. Like most other sushi though.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Fatty tuna... Oro I think it's called? That's my fav.. followed by Californa rolls with crab + cream cheese + guacomole!!!!

But plain sashimi or salmon, tuna, snapper, or yellowtail.... yummy!!!

Smaug

Jul 16, 2002
I can only eat Uni at Yoshi's in Berkeley, everywhere else it tastes foul.

They also have an awesome Eggplant Nigiri :).

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
i love sushi, but sea urchin is just nasty.. i almost had to spit it out, and i never spit out food.. i won't ever have it again, but i'm glad i tried it

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i think i'll try uni when i'm in taiwan or japan, better chance of getting fresh and high quality stuff.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
i think i'll try uni when i'm in taiwan or japan, better chance of getting fresh and high quality stuff.

The quality of fish at Tachibana in Mclean is pretty good for the DC area. They should have good uni

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

There are many excellent sushi places in SoCal.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
hehe, I'm still not sure what I quite think about it...I usually get one when I go to a sushi joint, but the verdict is still out :p

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
I'm Japanese and have been to some of the best <$500 a person sushi bars. Uni is just one of those things I just can't bring to my mouth. I've even been to live uni hunting and my peers would just come out of the water, crack that thing open, scoop it out with a knife, drop a bit of soy sauce on it and eat it. I couldn't do it. On the otherhand I love raw dojou, which too is a pretty acquired taste by Japanese standards.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm Japanese too and I don't like uni. I can eat it but its not something I would get. I'd much rather have a good ikura or hamachi.

Kalbi

Banned
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
I'm Japanese too and I don't like uni. I can eat it but its not something I would get. I'd much rather have a good ikura or hamachi.

no doubt hamachi is the best sushi for the price. BUT DAMN i didn't know there were japanese peeps who didn't like UNI!

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
my fav is tuna, the redder the better :)

red snapper is good as well

usually I judge a japanese restaurant by it's miso soup. The bad ones taste like dish water yuck :disgust:

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
i've heard from some that uni doesn't taste good, but just makes you happy (and it's supposed to be common)

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I love Sushi but that crap is just plain nasty.

Eating it makes me feel nausea. Thank Buddha, my neighborhood sushi chief has accepted that I do not like it and has stopped putting\hiding it in my specially prepared platters.

Kalbi

Banned
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: J Heartless Slick
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I love Sushi but that crap is just plain nasty.

Eating it makes me feel nausea. Thank Buddha, my neighborhood sushi chief has accepted that I do not like it and has stopped putting\hiding it in my specially prepared platters.

what dish do they "hide" uni in?!?!

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
sushi yea! urchin blech! that stuff is as foul as it is expensive. i'd rather blow my money on better tasting sushi.

truth!