Unexplainable drop in 3D mark 06 performance!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Standard multiplier is 21
4 cores turbo 22
2 cores turbo 25
1 core turbo 26

So it's more than just 1! It should go from 21 to 26 in principle the way I see it at least... no turbo activated should be 21 no matter how many cores, and 3D mark 06 I would imagine only uses 1 core? This should up the multiplier by 5 to 26 + enable turbo mode...

No, both Vantage and 3d06 use multi cores.
I have both @ 30k scores if u want to see them... :X
38k cpu on vantage.. and 8k cpu on 3d06.

I have no idea in your problems, im now pointing it to HT being ON/OFF... if your really that skeptical an easy solution would be this:

Use the 22x multi and just OVERCLOCK your system to 3.46 (Bclk of 157) you will need to tweek voltages, which isnt relatively difficult to do provided you have a decent aftermarket sink.

Then run the tests and see if u can get relatively close to the original 3dmark score.
(im wagering you will get higher, because of the faster ram timings u now induced along with the lower qpi latency you will have from that bclk adjustment).
But im fairly sure 3dmark is multicore'd.

I get a higher score on my gulftown vs bloomfield @ a higher clock.

EDIT:
Wait once u play with blck dont you lose turbo on?
For turbo on to work, you need your board set to AUTO.
Otherwise you wont see any multi over the +1.

Last edited:

Jenslyn87

Jun 16, 2010
No, both Vantage and 3d06 use multi cores.
I have both @ 30k scores if u want to see them... :X
38k cpu on vantage.. and 8k cpu on 3d06.

I have no idea in your problems, im now pointing it to HT being ON/OFF... if your really that skeptical an easy solution would be this:

Use the 22x multi and just OVERCLOCK your system to 3.46 (Bclk of 157) you will need to tweek voltages, which isnt relatively difficult to do provided you have a decent aftermarket sink.

Then run the tests and see if u can get relatively close to the original 3dmark score.
(im wagering you will get higher, because of the faster ram timings u now induced along with the lower qpi latency you will have from that bclk adjustment).
But im fairly sure 3dmark is multicore'd.

I get a higher score on my gulftown vs bloomfield @ a higher clock.

EDIT:
Wait once u play with blck dont you lose turbo on?
For turbo on to work, you need your board set to AUTO.
Otherwise you wont see any multi over the +1.
Hey! Thanks for your answer! It's a good idea with the the overclock as you mention. I just might try that even though it would be much higher than my usual puny overclock. But if you say that 3d mark 06 uses more than one core I believe you... then that shouldn't be the problem!

About the turbo: It's a separate function. It's called 'turbo mode' on my board, and it's will adjust the multiplier between 22-26 regardless of what the FSB is. What is BLCK?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hey! Thanks for your answer! It's a good idea with the the overclock as you mention. I just might try that even though it would be much higher than my usual puny overclock. But if you say that 3d mark 06 uses more than one core I believe you... then that shouldn't be the problem!

About the turbo: It's a separate function. It's called 'turbo mode' on my board, and it's will adjust the multiplier between 22-26 regardless of what the FSB is. What is BLCK?

no when you start playing with OC, you will lose all the other turbo multi's minus +1.

All your cores will be overclocked, not 2 or 1 of your cores.