Unemployment rates rise in 24 US states in August

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
9-19-2014

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unemployment-rates-rise-24-us-144033803.html

Unemployment rates rise in 24 US states in August

Georgia's unemployment rate jumped to 8.1 percent from 7.7 percent in July to the highest among all the states. It was followed by Mississippi at 7.9 percent. That's the first time Georgia has had the highest rate since the Great Recession ended. Previously, Nevada, Michigan and Rhode Island have had the highest.

The biggest job gains were in Texas, which added 46,600 jobs, followed by California, with 27,700 and Michigan, with 17,900.

The Midwest had the lowest unemployment rate among the nation's four regions, at 5.8 percent. The unemployment rate in the Northeast was 6.2 percent, followed by 6.3 percent in the South and 6.6 percent in the West.

Nov 8, 2012
Wish they had a map of the 24 to see if there was any consistency.

I'm honestly surprised by Georgia of all places. Mississippi is no surprise.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Being unemployed is freedom. It frees one up to explore the endless avenues of opportunity in our nation. Just yesterday, I bought dinner for a friend who has been freed now for over a year. He's a guy that is stuck in tradition and has actually been pursuing employment all this time. He fails to see the benefits of not being tied down to the humdrum existence that goes along with employment.

Nancy Pelosi said that Obamacare facilitates the type of “liberation” that the “Founders had in mind” because it allows you to quit your job and become a “photographer,” a “writer,” a “musician”--or “whatever.” With our ever expanding bevy of government entitlements, being unemployed is a joyous thing. All should thank Dear Leader for making this opportunity available for us all.

Nov 8, 2012
Yes... thank you for the opportunity to make me pay a penalty every year.

Note: It should be illegal to call anything an "opportunity" if you get penalized for not taking it. Of all the dumb bitches in the world, Pelosi takes the cake.... and the pie... and the fucking cookies too.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Did you guys read the article? In most of the state's unemployment increased due to greater labor force participation. Isnt that what you have been complaining about before?

Nov 8, 2012
Did you guys read the article? In most of the state's unemployment increased due to greater labor force participation. Isnt that what you have been complaining about before?

The only one they mention that with is Georgia, and they don't SPECIALLY say that. They are HINTING at it.

Georgia's rate rose even as its employers added the fourth-most jobs in the nation last month, gaining 15,800.

At no point does it mean more people are applying, or if more people lost their jobs in proportion. Not to mention, we are talking about 24 states - not 1. So this is a rather bland article that I wish would have more specific statistics.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The only one they mention that with is Georgia, and they don't SPECIALLY say that. They are HINTING at it.

At no point does it mean more people are applying, or if more people lost their jobs in proportion. Not to mention, we are talking about 24 states - not 1. So this is a rather bland article that I wish would have more specific statistics.

It is mathematically impossible for the number of jobs to increase and have unemployment go up unless the denominator (labor force) increased. The article mentions that in most states the number of jobs increased.

Nov 8, 2012
It is mathematically impossible for the number of jobs to increase and have unemployment go up unless the denominator (labor force) increased. The article mentions that in most states the number of jobs increased.

....Derp derp unless more people ACTUALLY...BECAME...*gasp* UNEMPLOYED?!

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
Didn't have time to respond when I read this earlier today, but my first thought was 'nice, that probably means more people are trying to find work'.
Having said that, are we now all on the same page that our unemployment numbers were artificially 'improved' by people opting out of job searches? I don't recall this ever crossing over into the very barren PnN bi-partisan agreement zone.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Didn't have time to respond when I read this earlier today, but my first thought was 'nice, that probably means more people are trying to find work'.
Having said that, are we now all on the same page that our unemployment numbers were artificially 'improved' by people opting out of job searches? I don't recall this ever crossing over into the very barren PnN bi-partisan agreement zone.

I'm pretty sure there was a broad agreement on that, the dispute was simply how much.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Being unemployed is freedom. It frees one up to explore the endless avenues of opportunity in our nation. Just yesterday, I bought dinner for a friend who has been freed now for over a year. He's a guy that is stuck in tradition and has actually been pursuing employment all this time. He fails to see the benefits of not being tied down to the humdrum existence that goes along with employment.

Nancy Pelosi said that Obamacare facilitates the type of “liberation” that the “Founders had in mind” because it allows you to quit your job and become a “photographer,” a “writer,” a “musician”--or “whatever.” With our ever expanding bevy of government entitlements, being unemployed is a joyous thing. All should thank Dear Leader for making this opportunity available for us all.

There's the other side of it, too. People who have achieved low overhead can retire early, particularly if they're 62 or if they're eligible for a pension. One partner can try their hand at a small business while the other works regardless of age. Subsidized healthcare opens up a lot of possibilities for people who don't need a lot of money.

Making it easier to step out of the workforce means there are more openings for people who need into the workforce.

Lots of people don't really understand what's happened to us. Our Financial Elite are trying to disown us as much as possible, replacing us with offshore labor & automation. They don't need us the way they once did, and it affects their attitude about us in a very negative way. Here's John Boehner on the subject, talking about people like your friend-

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/09/19/3569632/boehner-unemployed-work/

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is all a numbers game. Their unemployment runs out and then they get food stamps. A lot of people who cant find work are causing their own problems because they cant hold a job if they get one they just work long enough to get unemployment again. Either that or they booze it up and don't want to wake up till the afternoon. They don't show up to work or they steal from their employer or whatever bad thing it is that makes them get fired. They are just lazy worthless idiots.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Unemployment figures have nothing to do with being unemployed it has to do about looking for work. In fact once your unemployment money runs out, the employment figures should look better. Some of this might have to do with the food stamps running out in certain states. A lot of states are still paying food stamps because there is a loop hole in the Farm bill they are using.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Unemployment figures have nothing to do with being unemployed it has to do about looking for work. In fact once your unemployment money runs out, the employment figures should look better. Some of this might have to do with the food stamps running out in certain states. A lot of states are still paying food stamps because there is a loop hole in the Farm bill they are using.

We are already paying out the smallest percentage of GDP in unemployment claims that we have in a very long time. It doesn't change things:

092014krugman1-blog480.png

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is all a numbers game. Their unemployment runs out and then they get food stamps. A lot of people who cant find work are causing their own problems because they cant hold a job if they get one they just work long enough to get unemployment again. Either that or they booze it up and don't want to wake up till the afternoon. They don't show up to work or they steal from their employer or whatever bad thing it is that makes them get fired. They are just lazy worthless idiots.

Victim blaming. How quaint, how utterly self satisfied & judgmental Conservative of you.

What we are experiencing is *not* the usual postwar business cycle recession at all. It's a fundamental reduction in employment opportunity as provided by our business leaders, the financial elite. They clearly prefer offshore labor & automation to hiring Americans.

The world has changed but Conservative attitudes certainly haven't. You're stuck in the past, circa 1974.

Nov 29, 2006
Why would unemployment ever go down? (as a whole) More people, less jobs. You do the math.

You guys have seen world population growth charts right?

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Just had to quote this guys hate for Americans.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Or possibly trying to take comments out of the intended context based on political biases.

Likely not. It's a full paragraph. Unless, of course, you can link up his complete remarks so we might educate ourselves as to what else he said. Provide the context you coyly allude to.

Or perhaps he's "clarified" his remarks since then, but I can't find any reference.

The whole thing dovetails rather neatly with Romney's 47% & the usual right wing sentiment found here & many other places as well.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Or possibly trying to take comments out of the intended context based on political biases.

Likely not. It's a full paragraph. Unless, of course, you can link up his complete remarks so we might educate ourselves as to what else he said. Provide the context you coyly allude to.

Or perhaps he's "clarified" his remarks since then, but I can't find any reference.

The whole thing dovetails rather neatly with Romney's 47% & the usual right wing sentiment found here & many other places as well.