Undervolting AND Overclocking

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
Since I live solar electric, I'd like to run undervolted as much as possible to use as few KW as possible. However for those occasions when the sun is out and I need the extra CPU power, it would be nice to switch to overclock mode.

Is their an easy way to switch between undervolt and overclock modes in BIOS?

FWIW I have:
Abit IP35-E MB
E2180
Antec EW-380 PSU

I do realize it is possible to overclock somewhat at a lower than stock volts, leave that option for another day.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
doesn't this board have an "overclocking profile" that you can save and load in the bios, asus mobos usually do, its 3 profiles you save, then just load whichever you need, the downclocked and undervolted, or overclocked.
I undervolt AND overclock at the same time on my Q6600 :).

One thing though, increasing the clock, without changing the voltage, will increase your power consumption, and decreasing the clock, even while leaving the voltage high (or sometimes even increasing it), will take less power.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Try this
RMclock

It lets you have a performance profile and an energy saving one. Set the FSB in the bios, then lock the chip at a low multi (x6) and voltage using the software, and a higher multi (x10) and voltage for when you need it...

*leaves overclocking quickly before sounding even more like a RMClock vendor*

(ps. I'm not)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: PlasmaBomb

(ps. I'm not)

Yes you are! That's at least the second time in the past ~18 months that I've seen you recommend it. That's a sure sign of a spammer, if I ever saw one.:p

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: myocardia

(ps. I'm not)

Yes you are! That's at least the second time in the past ~18 months that I've seen you recommend it. That's a sure sign of a spammer, if I ever saw one.:p

It was the third time in three (consecutive) threads that I happened to recommend it :eek: :Q

I think it's a great wee program which can prove useful. The only problem I have is that the current build on my main rig doesn't shut down correctly (ie. you have to end task when shutting the comp down :()

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
It was the third time in three (consecutive) threads that I happened to recommend it :eek: :Q

Well, I only saw two of the threads.:) And yeah, it's a great app. It seems awfully hard for the noobs to figure out, but besides that, I like it.