Undervolting a GPU.

XX55XX

Mar 1, 2010
Hello. In order to reduce power when mining for Bitcoins, I have decided to undervolt my graphics card in hopes of shaving off a few watts. I currently use an EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked (clocked at 900 MHz) using a default voltage of 1.075V.

I want to keep my factory overclock while shaving off a few watts. So, I lowered the voltage to 1.025V using MSI Afterburner and ran the Crysis benchmark tool three times. Each run terminated successfully. Does that mean that my undervolt is stable? What other applications should I use to test whether or not this is a fluke?

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
To my understanding you can undervolt the card where it will be stable for bitcoin mining but will crash in games or using "normal" stability tests like furmark. I have not played with it yet but I'm tempted to undervolt my 5870...

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
why not downclock the memory,memory speed has no effect on bitcoin.clock it down to around 300.

Last edited:

XX55XX

Mar 1, 2010
why not downclock the memory,memory speed has no effect on bitcoin.clock it down to around 300.

Hmm. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, to increase my yield in the face of increasing difficulty, I may need to swap for an HD 6870... at the cost of lowered performance in games.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Nvidia cards are poor at bitmining because they don't do brute force approach to computations as well as AMD's 58xx architecture does. Combine that with the fact that Nvidia has a lower performance/watt than AMD (even if it's just a little bit with the gtx560ti), I really doubt that using a gtx560ti to mine bitcoins will be worth your time.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It seems like using an Nvidia card for bit-mining isn't really worth your time. And swapping out to an ATI card just for bit-mining at this point hardly seems worth it either.

Muyoso

Dec 6, 2005
Do not spend any money on new hardware. You WILL be sorry if you do. If you can get the hardware for free by selling what you have, then thats a different story. But seriously, in the next 12 hours the difficulty is going to go up 56% to over 1.35 million. This difficulty we are currently on only lasted 7 days. You will NOT earn your cost of new hardware back for months.

Also:
With your Nvidia card you are currently doing 2 things:

1)Wasting electricity
2)Reducing the lifespan of your GPU

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I just ran GUIMiner to test my undervolt on my 6870. It's stable at 1.062 volts in anything that isn't a game, so I just gotta remember to raise the voltage before gaming.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
How do you force memory clock down so low? My 6870 refuses to go below 800MHz on the memory.

Create a profile in CCC.

Open it up and make sure it's in the "Standard View". Then go to "Presets" and add one. After that, go to C\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles". There should be a file with the name of the preset you just created. Open it with notepad. Scroll down to a line that reads "<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">" and change the values to something of your liking. Save and exit. Now right click on the CCC icon in your taskbar and invoke the preset.

You'll have to manually invoke it after every reboot and driver installation.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Try Furmark to test if it's stable. OCCT is also a good tool.

fermi cards are throttled automatically in furmark (as are recent amd cards) so that's a no-go. OCCT is good, kombustor is good, but crysis demo has always been my last resort gpu test. The only thing I've ever had cause a failure on an OC that passed it's "crysis" was 3d mark vantage, so you might try a run or two of that or 3d mark 11 as well.

lesterhung

Dec 26, 2007
Do not spend any money on new hardware. You WILL be sorry if you do. If you can get the hardware for free by selling what you have, then thats a different story. But seriously, in the next 12 hours the difficulty is going to go up 56% to over 1.35 million. This difficulty we are currently on only lasted 7 days. You will NOT earn your cost of new hardware back for months.

Also:

1)Wasting electricity
People have been saying that since months ago, and what happened?
All of them made their $ back.
Simply put, the difficulty and USD/BTC cannot be predicted, thus any argument is irrelevant.
Plus, not everyone is in to mine and convert it back to USD.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Create a profile in CCC.

Open it up and make sure it's in the "Standard View". Then go to "Presets" and add one. After that, go to C\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles". There should be a file with the name of the preset you just created. Open it with notepad. Scroll down to a line that reads "<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">" and change the values to something of your liking. Save and exit. Now right click on the CCC icon in your taskbar and invoke the preset.

You'll have to manually invoke it after every reboot and driver installation.

thank you, this was very helpful for me. good stuff.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

Also:

1)Wasting electricity

People have been saying that since months ago, and what happened?
All of them made their $ back.
Simply put, the difficulty and USD/BTC cannot be predicted, thus any argument is irrelevant.
Plus, not everyone is in to mine and convert it back to USD.

i think his point is that a gtx560 at 60 Mhash is generally worthless at the current and upcoming difficulties. 60hashes at 1.3million difficulty at 17$/coin gets you ~25$ per month. if you subtract the cost of electricity, your profit is measured in pennies.

XX55XX

Mar 1, 2010
Update:

I have undervolted my card to 1.05V. I have also given up on Bitcoin mining, since it's not making me any richer. Minus the cost of electricity, I have estimated I can bring in a few extra dollars per month, but I'm not going to stress my hardware 24/7 for just that.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
^ I think this was the expected conclusion, from my reading of the bitcoin thread in this same forum.