understanding the indian accent

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
404, Racism not found. He stated his hardship with understanding Indian accents.
He didn't express his beliefs as to whether the Indian race or his own are better or worse than any other.

You must not be aware of his post history, starting threads like this. Some are more obvious, some aren't. Eventually he got banned recently due to racism.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Hey look, stupid redneck dumbass OP posts something retarded again. What else can you expect from some uneducated ignorant dumbshit though.

Yes OP, I am better than you and I am brown, got a problem with that? Tough shit.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's just like any other accent, if you're around it enough you pick up the nuances
Yeah...just takes time. Calc I and II in college - the professors there had very strong accents. The first two weeks or so were spent getting acclimated to the pronunciations. :\

Jul 10, 2007
Hey look, stupid redneck dumbass OP posts something retarded again. What else can you expect from some uneducated ignorant dumbshit though.

Yes OP, I am better than you and I am brown, got a problem with that? Tough shit.

why u mad tho?
are you saying the indian accent isn't hard to understand?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
404, Racism not found. He stated his hardship with understanding Indian accents.
He didn't express his beliefs as to whether the Indian race or his own are better or worse than any other.
Eh, the tone of the OP is condescending and over-generalizing and it did strike me as vaguely hostile. Sometimes accents are hard to understand, but that's true for any accent that isn't your own, not just Indians. I don't dread support calls, I don't think of my Indian coworkers as a collective group that is hard to understand. A few folks are, most are not.

I would never say "they (THOSE people) are just really hard to understand," like the OP did because it does sound offensive.

My perspective is, "Sometimes I have a hard time understanding a person with a heavier accent."

To me those are TOTALLY different statements and yeah, the first one sounds condescending at the least.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
why u mad tho?
are you saying the indian accent isn't hard to understand?
Yeah, I am saying that. Some Indian accents aren't hard to understand at all. Others are. It depends on the speaker, the place they are from, how long they've been speaking English/how early they learned, the quality of the phone connection...

Generalizing to say all Indian speakers are hard to understand is inaccurate and, if it's true in your case, simply reflects poorly on your own exposure to the world and/or ability to adapt to new situations.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Its harder to understand black ebonics than it is to understand indians really, but you won't hear the fuckshit OP saying anything about it.

This is actually hilarious because i'm brown and a closet redneck myself, and hes still managed to piss me off.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
Its harder to understand black ebonics than it is to understand indians really, but you won't hear the fuckshit OP saying anything about it.

This is actually hilarious because i'm brown and a closet redneck myself, and hes still managed to piss me off.

*plays violin*

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
It would be better if americans can learn to speak English properly first. At least those with 'accents' know another language.

And, westerners are the ones who can't pronounce for shit.. look at "toyota".. his name was ToyoDa.. but they mispronounced it.. the american accent makes you swallow (XD) letters... missile becomes "missil".. fragile becomes "fragil"... and let's not even go to grammar.. so.. the OP is a retard.. of course.. that was self-evident.. so meh.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
2453297004_can_t_we_all_just_get_along_xlarge.jpeg

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It would be better if americans can learn to speak English properly first. At least those with 'accents' know another language.

And, westerners are the ones who can't pronounce for shit.. look at "toyota".. his name was ToyoDa.. but they mispronounced it.. the american accent makes you swallow (XD) letters... missile becomes "missil".. fragile becomes "fragil"... and let's not even go to grammar.. so.. the OP is a retard.. of course.. that was self-evident.. so meh.
how do i neg a post

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Well, on the other hand you also have people who speak like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XztAs37L8&feature=related

It depends on multiple factors really.

LOL that guy is a total joke, good that he is not in power anymore.

Anyway, many people here do not realize that we have different accents of English in India. There are differences in the way people speak English. People from Tamilnadu have very different accent when compared with people from Mumbai.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Teh faults lie in:

Lack of comprehension by listener.
Diction and speed of the speaker

Indian is pretty easy, FWIW. Russian can be difficult, and so can Chinese. The MOST difficult is when someone speaks it very well, but confuses pronouns or other grammatical constructs and says something you hear as clear as day, but they mean something completely different....

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
The best part about this thread is reading through it and pronouncing everything as it's typed.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
LOL that guy is a total joke, good that he is not in power anymore.

Anyway, many people here do not realize that we have different accents of English in India. There are differences in the way people speak English. People from Tamilnadu have very different accent when compared with people from Mumbai.
Exactly this!! South India accents are much harder for me to process.