Underrated NFL players?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
So who do you think is extremely underrated in the NFL?

My vote has got to go to Terrance Newman. He's been a great CB his first three years. Yes, he did struggle a little bit early in his second season, but he more than made up for it last year. He's consistantly put up good numbers, and last year he kept them up despite rarely seeing the ball thrown his way. Another interesting stat - in 2005 he didn't give up a single TD pass. Until he posts a 7+ int season, he probably won't get voted to the pro bowl, but he certainly deserves it. Can't really think of another NFC CB I would rather have.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Not for fantasy - especially considering I listed a cornerback. Overall.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Although he may not be the most underrated, I think Deion Branch is very underrated for his role in the patriots offense.

I disagree with Newman though. He has to show me a little bit more this year. He made some HUGE mistakes in his first couple years. I think he's a bit to streaky to say he's underrated. Sure he has raw talent, but we've always known that. I want to see him harness that talent and be consistent with it.

<-------- Huge Cowboys fan.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well, I think you could say that about his first two seasons, sure. But he was a rookie and then 2nd year player. His play last year was solid all-around, I think he had a better season than Nathan Vasser of the Bears, but the public is a slave to numbers.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Can't really think of another NFC CB I would rather have.

Shawn Springs? Those two guys w/ the Bears? DeAngelo Hall? Lots of NFC CBs are better than Newman! You must be a Cowboys fan.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
C.Portis gets no love. Jake Delhomme is arguably the best QB in the NFC.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Bears CBs are overrated - product of their front seven, much like the Eagles' secondary. Shawn Springs - meh, he's past his prime. DeAngelo Hall I agree, he is as good or better. Trufant is on the same level, too. Ronde Barber maybe, but he's not exactly young anymore. If I were looking for long-term value I'd definitely take any of those 3 over Barber.

You're right, I am a Cowboys fan, but it also allowed me to actually see him play 16 times a year, rather than just going by his numbers, which are solid but not spectacular.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ornament
C.Portis gets no love. Jake Delhomme is arguably the best QB in the NFC.

Eh, I think Portis gets plenty of love. Delhomme I definitely agree is underrated. I don't know if he's the best QB in the NFC, but he's definitely up there.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: hungfarover
Steven Jackson of the Lambs.

LOL @ Lambs. Yeah, they got a good successor to Faulk w/ Jackson. Kid's built like a mack truck.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Another player I think fits in here is Chris Chambers. He puts up gaudy numbers despite having Gus Frerotte throwing to him. Scary to think what he will do this year with Daunte Culpepper.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Bears CBs are overrated - product of their front seven, much like the Eagles' secondary. Shawn Springs - meh, he's past his prime. DeAngelo Hall I agree, he is as good or better. Trufant is on the same level, too. Ronde Barber maybe, but he's not exactly young anymore. If I were looking for long-term value I'd definitely take any of those 3 over Barber.

You're right, I am a Cowboys fan, but it also allowed me to actually see him play 16 times a year, rather than just going by his numbers, which are solid but not spectacular.

Being a bears fan from birth I would have to agree. Bears football is always about two things, a MLB and a Running back. If they have enough other pieces to compliment those two things they win. If not they lose....badly. I would say they have one of the best LB groups in the league and the ones who aren't Urlacher are underrated (Hunter Hillenmeyer and Lance Briggs).

I read a review the other day about the Bears that said, "The Bears will win at least 6 games, besides that who knows" refering to the weekness of the NFC North. I laughed when I read it.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I'll agree on Newman. Talk during Cowboys camp is he deserves a pro-bowl. He's not the flashy game changer, but something I would rather have - the dependable and solid on every play guy who doesn't make the big mistakes. He didn't give up a touchdown last year. He shuts down bigger WR. What else do you want in a CB? He can also return kicks, which adds to his team value.

Also David Givens. He's not an elite WR, but he is very solid all around and will always produce. The perfect #2 receiver to have.