Underrated Games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
Patricians 3 - just got it the other day on steam for $5.... very deep trading game if thats what you are into

Men of war - Someone already mentioned but its a good game if you are into a commandos/company of heroes type game

Mount and Blade - I have an absurd amount of hours in this game

Fragile Alliance - old ass dos game where you colonized asteriods and stuff like that

Galactic Civilation 2 + all the expansions - if this game had multiplayer it would be absurd....

Last edited:

Darklife

Mar 11, 2008
Every time this kind of thread pops up, there is only one game I can think of.

Freedom Fighters.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Battlefield Vietnam for me. this game is always considered the red headed stepchild game in the BF series for PC but it might be my favorite BF game. i was surprised many people didn't even give it a chance and went straight from 1942 to BF2.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
For popular games I would say BF2142. I enjoyed it a ton.

For a slightly less popular game, I'm going to have to go with the Hearts of Iron series. Great gameplay, tons of strategy, overall great ww2 game.

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
The Original Black and White. I don't think I've ever had more fun with a game. The 2nd one sucked ass though

snewdle

May 17, 2010
The Original Black and White. I don't think I've ever had more fun with a game. The 2nd one sucked ass though

Was that the game where your character was a God/deity and you went around helping your settlement/civilization build itself and prosper? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
Was that the game where your character was a God/deity and you went around helping your settlement/civilization build itself and prosper? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Well, you could terrorize your people and have them worship you out of fear as well...

I did really like how you could shortcut cast spells by using specific mouse gestures. However, I think the overall game experience deserved it's poor acceptance.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

there was another game like that called "afterlife" IIRC. very old school though.

SolidSnake42

Feb 9, 2010
I know X3 is probably the only recent game like it, but I still think any game that falls into the Space Flight Sim genre are underrated. Why has this genre pretty much died from the general eye? Imagine the detail, free-range and options that you could do in today's video gaming world.

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
Or there's Populous. Which might be even more old school.

Populous the Beginning isnt THAT old, and another candidate for best underrated game. Both that and Black and White 1 were Peter Molyneau (sp?) games before he sold out to consoles (although I do really like Fable). He basically invented the God genre.

The creature AI in BW1 was absolutely amazing. Based on heuristic learning, your praise and punishment for every little thing it did added up to its overall behavour. I remember you could do completely rediculous things like teach it to poop on fields to improve yeilds. It was also the first game where you could zoom out and see the whole continent, or zoom into a blade of grass seamlessly. Your creature changed appearance based on how good/evil it was, and it affected its environment. You raised it from the size of a small car to the size of a skyscraper...

There were some werid gameplay quirks and the competeing AI's had no idea how to play, but that almost added to the experience. You really got the impression you couldn't do anything on your own, but needed to act through your worldly vessels. You could teach your creature to carry out your will, and hopefully it would do as you intended, but more often than not it wouldn't... just like I imagine a real diety would be frustrated trying to get their followers to carry out their will based on guessing what they want.

Being evil was hilarious, being good and helping your people build sprawling cities... amazing game.