Underarmor alternative?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: ja1484
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: enwar3
We all know underarmor is over-priced. What do you use as an alternative?

Cotton undershirts FTW

They come in multi-packs at Target.

I hate clingy clothes when I play sports.

MotionMan

Doesn't work for some of us. Cotton soaks up many times its weight in moisture and is horrible at releasing water vapor. For some of us, this can be dangerous or deadly in our leisure activities (mountaineering)

What did mountaineers use before all these wonderful advances in exercise clothing were invented?

MotionMan

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I meant undershirts, for like cycling and going to the range outdoors and stuff. Like, a thin underlayer to keep warm when you can't wear a giant jacket..

I have a long sleeve Hind undershirt, it is a lightweight but warm moisture wicking fabric and great for cycling. I think I paid about $20 on sale at Performance Bike a year or so ago. I usually wear a short sleeve jersey over this on cool days and maybe a windproof vest if it's in the low to mid 40s.

For the lower half I wear bib shorts with jogging tights over. No underwear.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I have a shirt from Starter that looks and feels exactly like Underarmour, and does the same job. I think I got it at Wal-Mart or something for around $10-15.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

Doesn't work for some of us. Cotton soaks up many times its weight in moisture and is horrible at releasing water vapor. For some of us, this can be dangerous or deadly in our leisure activities (mountaineering)

Polyester underlayers preferred, for comfort mainly. I find them all (store brand or UA or whomever) to wear out at about the same rate. Get what's cheap and fits.

Correct. Cotton and playing sports/sweating do not go together. Polyester/wool/silk keep you warmer and wick sweat away.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

What did mountaineers use before all these wonderful advances in exercise clothing were invented?

MotionMan

Wool, not cotton.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: SampSon
Anything that is touted as being a moisture wicking material works.

but you will have to buy it one or two sizes smaller to get the same fit.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

MotionMan

Generally wool, which was scratchy as hell and uncomfortable, but retains its insulating qualities even when wet. It's still commonly used in non-sensitive areas (i.e. socks) or as an insulating fill layer between more comfortable polyester undergarments and weatherproof shells.

As usual, we copied what nature did to get the job done.

It's no surprise however that a lot of the great advancements in climbing and mountaineering came along in the 70s, when new techs (not just in clothing, but many areas) were becoming widely available and affordable for climbers.