Underarmor alternative?

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
We all know underarmor is over-priced. What do you use as an alternative?

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
REI-brand anything. The only underwear I buy these days is their microfiber mesh boxer briefs.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Wal-mart sells Athletic Works compression shorts and compression shirts, both in long sleeve and short sleeve. They work very well and can be had for about $10 a pop. Sometimes they may be out of stock at the store but you can always order online to be delivered to the store or your house.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
What items of clothing are you specifically referring to?

They're not magic because they've got a shiny brand name and a Super Bowel advertisement, you know :p

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
I meant undershirts, for like cycling and going to the range outdoors and stuff. Like, a thin underlayer to keep warm when you can't wear a giant jacket..

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dug777

They're not magic because they've got a shiny brand name and a Super Bowel advertisement, you know :p

its spandex rebranded with marketing genius.
"under ARMOR"!! omgdzors its so manly and covert! heeheehee!!

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

lmfao :eek:

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005

was that: marketing genius - as in great marketing
or
marketing, genius - insulting dug.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ric1287

or

i'm not that complex.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005

or

i'm not that complex.

i had to read it a few times because i could not comprehend it. :)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

or

i'm not that complex.

i had to read it a few times because i could not comprehend it. :)

hehhe ok:)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Go check sierratradingpost.com or campmor.com, tons of brand name long-underwear at a huge discount.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: enwar3

Cotton undershirts FTW

They come in multi-packs at Target.

I hate clingy clothes when I play sports.

MotionMan

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MotionMan

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

bingo. get 3 packs and never wear the same one twice before a wash. it'll still maybe 10 bucks at walmart and you won't stink.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

Bah, underarmour shirts where a godsend when I played highschool football a few years ago.

I used to wear all cotton shirts and I would get all sweaty and hot, but the underarmour does cool you down a bit. Yea, clingy clothes at first is plain weird, but you get used to it fast.

Besides, I don't wear the skin tight UA anymore... I have quite a few of their regular loose shirts that I work out in, a bunch of UA hoodies that I got for $10 on a price mistake, a couple of hats (most comfy baseball hat I've ever worn), and some longsleeve cold gear. I mostly wear them because they're comfortable as hell. And they're not that expensive if you know where to look. Also, if you have access to a military AAFES exchange, I recommend going there, because they often clearance out their UA stock. Some of it is the army UA... the olive and tan colored stuff, but they got regular colors as well.

But are there any alternatives? Not really. You could buy the store brands that try to mimic the feel and texture of UA's shirts, but they're just not the same and are usually of low quality. YMMV.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

Doesn't work for some of us. Cotton soaks up many times its weight in moisture and is horrible at releasing water vapor. For some of us, this can be dangerous or deadly in our leisure activities (mountaineering)

Polyester underlayers preferred, for comfort mainly. I find them all (store brand or UA or whomever) to wear out at about the same rate. Get what's cheap and fits.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I have a few pairs of the AthleticWorks compression shorts from Wal-Mart, and a few shirts as well. They fit just the same as their UA counterparts, I believe the shorts were $12.99 each, and the long-sleeve shirts $14.99, which is about half that of UA.

I wear this stuff so often, lol. If you get the short-sleeve compression shirts, they also have a tendency to make shirts fit better. :p

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I like the mysterioso hi-tech shirts though I use it when I'm kayak fishing. Best thing ever in terms of kayak clothing.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Pretty much any kind of moisture wicking fabric from any brand does the same (C9 @ Target, Dri-Fit from Nike, the corresponding ones from Adidas, etc)

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: fatpat268

Cotton undershirts FTW

MotionMan

Bah, underarmour shirts where a godsend when I played highschool football a few years ago.

I used to wear all cotton shirts and I would get all sweaty and hot, but the underarmour does cool you down a bit. Yea, clingy clothes at first is plain weird, but you get used to it fast.

Besides, I don't wear the skin tight UA anymore... I have quite a few of their regular loose shirts that I work out in, a bunch of UA hoodies that I got for $10 on a price mistake, a couple of hats (most comfy baseball hat I've ever worn), and some longsleeve cold gear. I mostly wear them because they're comfortable as hell. And they're not that expensive if you know where to look. Also, if you have access to a military AAFES exchange, I recommend going there, because they often clearance out their UA stock. Some of it is the army UA... the olive and tan colored stuff, but they got regular colors as well.

But are there any alternatives? Not really. You could buy the store brands that try to mimic the feel and texture of UA's shirts, but they're just not the same and are usually of low quality. YMMV.

"Underarmor : The Monster Cable of Clothing"

;)

MotionMan