Unchartered included with 5800X purchase - can I give it to my son?

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
I got the Unchartered credit for my 5800X that I upgraded to, and would like to give it to my son since I'm not a gamer and he is. He can't activate it since his PC has a 3600X in it, so I was wondering if there's a way to work around the system check when trying to activate it? i.e. can he log into his account on my PC, activate the code, but then go back to his PC and download it there? Or any other workaround?

Jul 27, 2020
can he log into his account on my PC, activate the code, but then go back to his PC and download it there?
Should be possible if the requisite Ryzen 5000 hardware presence check success results in a Steam key. He can then use the Steam key to activate the game in his Steam library.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
.. i dont think there is such a check in place. is there? Did you try and it didn't work ?
i'm really curious. I figured you would just get a product key, and that's it.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
The check is tied to the CPU; you have to download a tool that confirms the system has the cpu purchased. If that fails, you don't get the activation code. I assume they're doing this to try and prevent people from selling the game.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Yeah, it is a hardware check. Just run the utility on your system and then have him sign into his steam/ubisoft whatever account to link it and activate the game on their account. Last time I did it with a 3700x it was an ubisoft game and I just signed into my ubi account via website on that 3700x system without installing any game launchers or games.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
After getting past the hardware verification, I then logged into the Steam store as him and activated the code. His store account does show his library of games (that I could tell), but he said he could see it in his library in the Steam app. It's a big game so he has to clear some space before trying the download to ultimately confirm, but it appears to have worked.
Thanks to you guys for the help; much appreciated.