Question Unattended Windows installation: Which app is a good one to use for this purpose? and can you customize it with settings and wallpaper (etc)

kreemerz

Jul 4, 2022
So I have a 5 machine home lab. No server and no domain controller or anything like that. Just 5 computers (Dell, Gigabyte & Asus laptops) I want to look and function the same. can you customize the unattended installation with settings and wallpaper (etc) so that it installs on whatever machine I use it on?

I want to install a uniform version of Windows 10 Pro to all machines. I’ve seen several Unattended Windows install apps (smart deploy, answers.xml) But unsure if they allow you to choose what I believe should be the default settings including power settings, wallpaper, account logos, etc…

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Without a domain controller server with group policy that can be applied to individual domain joined PC, there is just no easy way to customize a group of PCs.

You have to search every settings you want to customize and create a CUSTOMIZE.reg file that can be shared on a device (a PC or NAS since you don't have a server)

Let's say it's called LOGON folder (ready only, so other PCs have no rights to delete it) every PCs on the network connect the folder as L: drive permanently. When the user login into his/her machine, the StartUp folder has a link to the shared CUSTOMIZE.reg so the registry file can be read and regsitry add/delete/mod action can be executed.

Or probably a batch file to modify the registry. https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/How-to-use-Registry-Keys-in-a-Batch-File?language=en_US

It's exactly how the server applies group policies without using registry/batch/script files.

I hope my current memory is not too bad.

Last edited:

kreemerz

Jul 4, 2022
Well, I guess it doesn't matter so much about the need to deploy it to multiple machines.

I can install it from a thumb drive.
With that said, is it possible to just create a custom windows install file that is bootable and where I can put the settings in it so that it installs the way I want it to?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Maybe MSGM Toolkit? https://msmgtoolkit.in/ Didn't try.

BTW, I personally will have Open Shell Menu on every machine to replace Windows Start Menu

==

Trying to customize Windows is a daunting task, there are just too many settings (thousands & thhousands) out there without proper tools (including not having a domain controoler to apply group policies)

Last edited: