Unable toaccess iomega external HDD

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Hi,

all of a sudden and for no apparent reason I'm unable to access my external HDD, it's an iomega.

I have a Dell laprop 15r touch screen and am running os Win 8.1.

The HDD hasn't had much movement to constitute damage.
I've connected with a new cable just to check but have same issue.
"This PC" recognises the drive but does not indicate the sixe nor the available space etc.

When I try to ope ot I get a message saying "d:\ not accessible - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Please can anyone assist me here?
I been loking online for quite some time now and hence my postig on here.

Thank you,

dvtrv

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Thank you for your response.
When I right click the HDD it takes a while and shows same error message.
Looking at the link it's for XP. Mine is a Win 8.1 so can't go any further.

I can't run as it says I dno not have sufficient privilages. It's my LP and I am the sdministrator.
Also when I try to run cmd as admin nothing happens.

Please assist further.

Thank you

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If you have a desktop, you might be able to see if the HD still works by moving it to that.
If all is well, then good, backup ASAP.
If not, then, get another HD of the same size or bigger as the one that has issues, and clone it to the new drive.
Then, run recovery software (testdisk or whatever) on the new HD and see if it can recover, if so, good.
If not, then, your only real option is send the HD to the pros, and see if they can recover it. Be prepared for sticker shock though, it can be very expensive.

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Unfortunately I don't have a DTP.

Is it best that the "other" HDD be empty? Would I lose whatever's on the "" if I was to follow your suggestion?

Bit worried either way. Maybe there's another way I can try to do this?

Thank you,

Dave.

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Good old trusty XP laptop. My XP laptop see contents of HDD so now I can transfer everything somewhere, format HDD then get back to where it was before.

Thanks for trying.

Over and out