unable to flash updated bios; Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
I currently have the F4 BIOS installed. i am looking to update the bios, which is now at version F23a. I've tried using both @Bios (allows for flashing in Windows) and Q-Flash (within BIOS itself) to no avail. with @Bios, i simply get a failed error message during the flash. with Q-flash, it goes through the whole process, but after i reboot/power cycle and enter BIOS setup, it is still showing the older F4 BIOS installed.

i know this motherboard has a Dual BIOS feature. perhaps during the BIOS flash process both are not properly being written?

thoughts? help?

thanks.

SOLVED:
Looking over the BIOS setting, there was an obscure option: "Intel BIOS guard" which i found to be enabled. After disabling it, I was able to flash the new BIOS with Q-Flash. This feature is such a random setting to have honestly. And in no documentation is one reminded to disable it.

Last edited:

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Do not flash through Windoze!!!
You may have to flash one up one or two versions at a time

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002

i also tried flashing in the pre-boot/BIOS environment using Q-Flash, but that did not work either. should i try sequential flashing using older versions?

i also made sure to suspend bitlocker because i've had an issue before with having to re-enter the recovery key after a BIOS flash.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
could be a board revision issue?

maybe a corrupt BIOS?

or perhaps a BIOS setting that prevents the update?

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
could be a board revision issue?

maybe a corrupt BIOS?

or perhaps a BIOS setting that prevents the update?
i'm using the correct board revision, 1.0. i guess what i could try is resetting the BIOS to default settings.

as for corrupt BIOS, interesting that you mention that. sometime last year, soon after i first installed the system, i had an issue with the BIOS flash to the F4 bios. but ultimately i think the Dual Bios feature saved me and i was then able to flash it. is it possible that i'm running on this backup BIOS and the primary is corrupted (and thus not able to be flashed?)?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
i'm using the correct board revision, 1.0. i guess what i could try is resetting the BIOS to default settings.

as for corrupt BIOS, interesting that you mention that. sometime last year, soon after i first installed the system, i had an issue with the BIOS flash to the F4 bios. but ultimately i think the Dual Bios feature saved me and i was then able to flash it. is it possible that i'm running on this backup BIOS and the primary is corrupted (and thus not able to be flashed?)?
hmmm, it is possible.

I would try seeing if there is a setting blocking the update.

I found your problem: BIOS Guard

as per this thread:

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/948/flash-bios-on-z270mx-gaming

at least I hope this is your problem.

Last edited:

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
SOLVED:
Looking over the BIOS setting, there was an obscure option: "Intel BIOS guard" which i found to be enabled. After disabling it, I was able to flash the new BIOS with Q-Flash. This feature is such a random setting to have honestly. And in no documentation is one reminded to disable it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

No: that's entirely untrue. There's absolutely no difference between sequential bios flash vs. an immediate flash to the latest bios version available. And, the Gigabyte @ bios Windows utility does always function correctly, in my experience.
But: be sure to only use the specific version of @ bios offered on the official motherboard support page for that specific board.
And, you do need to take the precaution of first reverting the bios settings to default, reboot the machine, then proceed with the firmware flash.
Doing so would have/should have reverted the "BIOS Guard" setting to "disabled".

Note: the Gigabyte dual bios backup bios firmware could also be flashed to match the primary bios, via Alt-F10 at system boot. However, not sure if that still works with Z100 series and later chipsets.
Ctl-F10 was formerly able to force using the backup bios, but that function no longer works, if using the updated Kabylake bios for Z100 series boards.

Last edited: