Unable to Create New Extended(Logical) Partition Windows 7

Revolution

May 24, 2000
Hi,
Please help me!

My brother has 3 STA HDD and Windows 7 OS.
Disk0 [Primary C: (Windos 7 OS)+ Extended(Logical) D :]
Disk1 [Primary E:+ Extended(Logical)F:]
Disk2 [totally Unallocated]

Now want to create a Primary and a Extended(Logical) partitions on Disk2.
Primary Partition( G: ) has been created without any problem.
But when I R-Click on Unallocated Space(Disk2) at Disk Management there is no option for Extended Partition only Simple Volume option available(which gonna make another Primary Partition).
So,how can a make a Extended(Logical Partition) on Disk2 ?
Is it not possible on at Windows 7 mode ?
Do I need a Bootable Disk of third party Partition Application for that ?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Windows can create extended partitions and logical partitions just fine. Did you use GPT or MBR for the partition table type? I don't believe the former has logical partitions because they're unnecessary. They only make sense with MBR partition tables because you're limited to 4 primary partitions.

hanspeter

Nov 5, 2008
The option to create an extended partition is missing in disk management, but can be found in diskpart (cmd).

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Are you sure that logical partition is best to use anyway? The understanding is that this was used to overcome the limitations of four primary partitions. However, logical partitions are coupled to their primary and that can create complications and reduce reliability of the overall disk system particularly when something goes wrong with the parent primary partition and you are attempting to restore it from imaging softyware.

Coming from experience, unless you need a mess of partitions, I recommend against going the logical partition route.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I just tested with a VHD and it doesn't give you the option to create a logical volume, it just does it automatically for you when you try to create the 4th "simple volume".

Revolution

May 24, 2000
Thanks for ur replies guys!

Actually found few bad Sectors on Disk0.
Disk0 and Disk2 are 7200RPM Seagate SATA and Disk1 is WD Green.
So,before Disk0 gone dead suddenly I want create a Primary and a Logical Partition on Disk2.
So,that I can store/backup some data from Disk0 to logical partition of Disk2 and can install OS at Primary Partition of Disk2.
Forget about Disk1(WD Green) cos its totally full of data and its slow.so no OS.
I we don't have any other storage for backup and can't buy any new HDD at present.

But,something confusing me now.
C1 asking if logical partition not best ?
Is it true ?

And I tried diskpart (cmd) too.
But,it showing some error like "Virtual Disk can't be created' or something like that.
Sorry forgot the exact error.

hanspeter

Nov 5, 2008
It is true. If possible, primary partitions are prefered (because you have a simpler partition layout).

Anyways, in diskpart, to use the remaining space as an extended partition:

list disk
select disk x
create partition extended

If you want help, type: "help create partition extended"

Now you can create the logical drives in diskpart - or in disk management.

hanspeter

Nov 5, 2008
If you look at the structure on disk, an extended partition is a primary partition (it just has another id number). Inside of this partition, you will then create additional partitions (called logical drives).

So the structure is a bit more complex.