Question Unable to change Windows 11 PIN

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,
I inherited a Window 11 laptop that has an account with a PIN set. I know the PIN, and I wish to change it, but I'm unable to change it as the windows Hello PIN says "this option is currently unavailable". The other authentication types ate also unavailable. How do I change the PIN or change authentication type?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Surely there's another way?
I haven't used the pin feature but when windows stops doing what you want it to do it's usually faster to reinstall than waste time on things. If the account has admin privileges there might be a reghack to fix it. The alternative might be using Linux USB boot and deleting a file to unlock it and reset the pin function.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'll assume that the OP is logging in with a Microsoft account. In Settings, I'd roll that back to a local account, then log out and back in. I'd then attempt to roll back all forms of user login authentication back to none at all; if Windows isn't being forthcoming with 'change password' options (one can be found in the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu), then I'd fire up a command prompt with admin privs, type in:

whoami

to get your username (it'll be in the format of MACHINENAME\username)

then I'd type NET USER username ""

to clear the password. Log out, log back in, attempt to set up whatever authentication methods you want to use.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Can you create another admin account without a pin, log in, and remove the other account?