um, how tall does this wave look?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
on cnn.com right now the main pic is of a wave in china... it looks unbelievably large.

Are you 13? Who begins sentences with "Um"? It makes one sound like a total mouthbreather.

Actually, being anal enough to point that out just makes you seem like an ass.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19
on cnn.com right now the main pic is of a wave in china... it looks unbelievably large.

Are you 13? Who begins sentences with "Um"? It makes one sound like a total mouthbreather.

Actually, you trying to reason with an ass makes you an ass whisperer. :)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: bigrash
Originally posted by: jman19

Actually, you trying to reason with an ass makes you an ass whisperer. :)

LOL

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: buck
My educated guess from surfing most of my life, is that is a wave from a hurricane (or typhoon for that side of the world), and one of the biggest set waves hit a giant rock and exploded over it. That isnt the way a normal wave breaks unless it is hitting something like a rock. Ill find an example to explain my point. Either way, the waves that day had to be once a century big and total victory at sea conditions.

What buck said. Looks only about 30' on the face. Looks like a bit of backwash action and a wall for the win.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: gsellis
My educated guess from surfing most of my life, is that is a wave from a hurricane (or typhoon for that side of the world), and one of the biggest set waves hit a giant rock and exploded over it. That isnt the way a normal wave breaks unless it is hitting something like a rock. Ill find an example to explain my point. Either way, the waves that day had to be once a century big and total victory at sea conditions.

What buck said. Looks only about 30' on the face. Looks like a bit of backwash action and a wall for the win.

no matter what it is "the win" seems to explain it. cause if you faced it, you'd say "i lose"

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: gsellis

no matter what it is "the win" seems to explain it. cause if you faced it, you'd say "i lose"

Nah, know enough not to paddle out there. I have been in surf that big, but it was clean and organized.