Question um anyone have a samsung evo 870?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
I don't own one but my friend recently got a 1tb and it gets less than 25 to 50mb/s write and a really bad benchmark on magician. is that normal? should he rma or return it? this is on a fresh install of windows 10. it installs fine and installed some games okay. he said it took longer than his old 850 pro 256gb to install and he cant copy to the ssd at a sustained speed. it will copy at 5gbps for like a few seconds then just drop down lower as it goes then stays down like a low quality usb thumb drive.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    720.5 KB · Views: 29

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
He got it from Best buy is that possible? Also it said genuine in magician. Should I just tell him to return it?

EDIT: heres another screen. lol its saying its 40%? does that mean its almost normal? with a write of 4 lmao

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Can you find the extended model codes for your drive (not the serial) and post them?

If this isn't a fake drive, maybe Samsung has really cheaped out? Seems kind of unimagineable, given the price premium range (even for SATA) that they sell for. And how even cheap 3rd-party DRAM-less drives can manage 500/500MB/s read/write from their SLC cache portion.

My Adata SU800 Ultimate drives, would slow down to 30MB/sec writes, after the SLC cache was exhausted.

Let the system idle (not sleep) for 2 hours, then do another benchmark. See if it comes out more "normal".

The was one scenario that the Adata's SLC cache would get exhausted on, a fresh OS install with updates (Win7).

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
The model on the box says mz-77e1t0b/am. is that what you meant by extended? I'm guessing it's defective like you said at first. hopefully *Scambuy will either refund or exchange the junk they sent him. thanks. :)

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
Yeah this was installed from the most recent windows media installation application. Also to reiterate it's not mine. Just helping a local like dummy. also I did more testing. It's working for me while playing dishonored and world of tanks..pretty well I may get one of their 50$ versions just to see if these are just lower quality.. I had him get the label ready.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm just saying, that the benchmark performance that you got, might have been a "quirk" of the drive's SLC cache being filled / exhausted, due to just having a whole OS installed fresh on it.

If you leave it idle for half a day, and benchmark again, it should show more "normal" performance, I hope.

Just saying, if this is just an SLC cache quirk, you might run into the same issue with a fresh drive.

Likewise, if you give it half a day to un-spool the SLC cache, and it STILL benchmarks poorly, then def. return it.

Also, check the specs for 4Kn drives, if this is in an older platform, the native SATA controller might not be new enough to support 4Kn drives, so possibly you should invest into a PCI-E ASMedia AHCI-compatible SATA controller card.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
ill bench it again just for the heck. the ssd still isn't wanting to read for anything for me. i left it on since my last post. it just will not write above 20ishmb/s. trying to copy with my nvme drive in a thunderbolt enclosure over thunderbolt 3 I get the same. same with usb3. it goes fairly quick for a second or two then drops to below useable. looking at its stats on Hwinfo it says its write never goes over 40mb/s while trying to copy off a usb drive. also ive never had a drive not copy at full speed after a full install. im still using a 256gb samsung. i can copy 40gb in 4 minutes with that. i try to copy with this thing and it upticks to 40 minutes to copy 40gb but im sure it hadnt finished calculating and it was more like 2 4 hours.not sure. he gave me the label so im going to return it for him lol i can use it till then though.

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
I just bought one for myself from amazon to verify.. it doesnt work in the same way. lol so anyone searching for a sata drive stay away from 870 evo it is trash.

Edit: this is from a factory in Korea whereas my friends was made in China. So doesn't matter the date or location of factory. To bad I wanted to upgrade my old 256gb..also his was a 1tb mine is a 2tb. Manufacture date 2022.03.

Last edited:

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
please snakexor stay out of other peoples threads if your going to be boring. lol at you. the problem isn't just my on system. the ssds are trash and there are plenty of people saying so. also i guess you can't be bothered to read any my thread at all? sometimes people read the thread they post on maybe try it next time. did you only read the title? I'll tell you that a different person as said in the thread also had the same problem. but i guess two different people having the same problem on different systems mean it's just me that's having the problem right? good luck with your junk 870 snake. (guessing you have one with the way you posted.)

Last edited:

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
No, arguably, the 850 Pro are the best, everything after that for the SATA market has been cost-reduced by Samsung for increased profiteering by them.
I'm guessing snake has a 50% to 70% chance that his ssd is actually also defective and didn't notice. (not joking at all.) just do a few benchmarks on it if you even care.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I've used dozens of Samsung 870 EVO and QVO Sata SSD drives for my clients and they have all performed admirably. They have been reliable and fast. Your experience is not indicative of everyone who uses them.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've used loads of 870 EVOs (my preference was to go with 8x0 PRO SATA drives until they weren't available any more), no problems at all, benchmarking within expectations. I can double-check the next drive I get, I'm expecting to need at least one before the end of the month.

@Zoozuu I'd check the SMART stats for the drive (if you're unsure how to read them, post them here), I'd also check the WIndows Event Viewer > Windows logs > System log and look for disk warnings/errors and ntfs errors.

Posting your system specs wouldn't hurt either.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Just checking from your original post, but how much data is written before the slowdown happens? It sounds like the drive just runs out of SLC cache, and writes directly to QLC are -slow-.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Just checking from your original post, but how much data is written before the slowdown happens? It sounds like the drive just runs out of SLC cache, and writes directly to QLC are -slow-.

The 870 EVO is TLC, not QLC (the official specs say "3-bit MLC" which is a bit cheeky but anyway). But yes, I'd expect a slowdown once the cache has been exhausted.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've used dozens of Samsung 870 EVO and QVO Sata SSD drives for my clients and they have all performed admirably. They have been reliable and fast. Your experience is not indicative of everyone who uses them.
There are reasons Samsung was considered the gold standard in SSDs, and were years ahead of their competition in performance and reliability.

If they were junk and had sky-high defective rates, it would be widely known since they sell millions and millions of SSDs every year.

But again, there are people who sign up here and claim brands like Crucial and SK Hynix are also junk, so I say let them believe whatever they want to. People with computer and electronic experience know better than take the flame bait.

Reactions: daveybrat

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
Crucial and SK Hynix aren't junk but i would still never buy an ssd made by them. i never said samsung is junk. ive seen plenty of things showing the 870 is JUNK and has a very high failure rate. good day and good luck with your purchases. none of you bother to read anything. amazing how insulting you people have to be. wow. just wow. glad I don't know any of you.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
none of you bother to read anything. amazing how insulting you people have to be.
We did, and you're the one that started insulting people (post #16) who didn't agree with your assessment of the 870 EVO being junk.

wow. just wow. glad I don't know any of you.

So no exchanging Christmas cards this year?

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)