Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in Xbox Arcade

Skyye

Nov 5, 2005
I have been an MK fan since I played it for the first time on my genesis. A,B,A,C,A,B,B yeah thats old school!

While I was excited to hear that Street Fighter was coming out, I did not bother to buy it. I played the trial and about snapped my controller in half because the controls were a complete nightmare. Unresponsive, sticky, I felt like my hand had just decided not to do what my brain was telling it. But no, I handed the controller to a few of my friends and they agreed that the controls were terrible.

Well then I heard that UMK3 was coming to the arcade, and while I wanted to be excited I was afraid that it would have the same fate as Street Fighter. Thank god to my surprise I was wrong!

This game is freaking sweet! I still love old MK more, but this one is not so bad. The controls on this game seem to be much better, at least I think so anyway.

They are not perfect, but much better. I am still having a hard time with the finishing moves, but am slowly getting it. I figure a few more hours of practice, and I will be good to go.

Often I notice that when I hit forward, I jump.....makes me yell at the top of my lungs, WTF, but lets face it, I guess the 360 D-pad is a bit more clumsy than the old genesis controller...

If you have not tried it out yet, I say give it a go! Maybe you will find a new arcade game that you enjoy.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Interesting review. Too bad I don't have a 360 yet but I'm having fun with MK Armageddon.

Skyye

Nov 5, 2005
and i still cant do a finisher!!! hmm, I think I am giving up for now!

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
I sold my xbox 360 because it was catching dust. Now i want to play FarCry Instincts again, that was about the only game i fully enjoyed. What a game.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The 360 gamepads (with the exception of the d-pad) are some of the best gamepads I've played with...BUT they suck for fighters. Doesn't matter if it is SFII, DOA4, or MKIII. They just suck for fighters.

If you're into fighters, you're better off getting an arcade stick.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
I had an extremely hard time with the controls in SFII also, which is why I pretty much never play it.

I have downloaded the trial to MK on the arcade but haven't played it yet. Hopefully it's as good as you say :)

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, SF II sucked on Xbox Live Arcade.

I'll try the MK3 demo... hopefully its as good as you say. What about those arcade sticks? Do they come with buttons too? How much do they cost?

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
I cannot get a finisher either. Out of maybe 30 tries, we got one to work once. It was Jades.

They need to do something to make it less precise. As people have said, this controller is not that good at fighters and we need help!

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: rnp614
I cannot get a finisher either. Out of maybe 30 tries, we got one to work once. It was Jades.

They need to do something to make it less precise. As people have said, this controller is not that good at fighters and we need help!

what about those arcade sticks? can anyone answer my question above?

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
I'd do it but I have no wired controllers...I dont want to mess up my wireless ones!

Suture

Sep 17, 2003
Originally posted by: forfor

I just ordered two, so I'll find out soon.

Like all 2D fighter games on a console, playing with a gamepad flat out sucks. That's my only gripe really. Well, that and the AI does not make sense in UMK3. It's ridiculously hard, and then eventually lets up.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Suture
Originally posted by: forfor

I just ordered two, so I'll find out soon.

Like all 2D fighter games on a console, playing with a gamepad flat out sucks. That's my only gripe really. Well, that and the AI does not make sense in UMK3. It's ridiculously hard, and then eventually lets up.

Please post a review in this thread :) Which brand/model did you go with?

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I love UMK3. It is one of my favorite arcade games of all time. I hate to think about how much money I spent in the arcades playing this game.

The game itself is perfect. I love being able to play on Xbox live against people.

My only gripe with the entire game is that you can not customize the controls. Who's freaking genius idea was this? I have a Hori arcade stick for my Xbox 360 and the button layout f'ing sucks for UMK3, but there is NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT because you can't change the config.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
SFII was a JOKE on Arcade. I couldn't believe what I was playing. The implementation was awful.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I was going to buy it until I saw that you can't change the control scheme at all. I use a joystick that I made for the 360 for SF2 (because as you say, the D-pad on the 360 is just unusable pretty much) and if I can't use it for MK3 at the configuration I want, I'm not going to play it.

Also I really wish they would have put MK2 on instead of UMK3. UMK3 was the beginning of the decline of the MK series IMO. If they ever patch it so you can customize your controls, I will buy it. Until then I won't touch it.

Skyye

Nov 5, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
I was going to buy it until I saw that you can't change the control scheme at all. I use a joystick that I made for the 360 for SF2 (because as you say, the D-pad on the 360 is just unusable pretty much) and if I can't use it for MK3 at the configuration I want, I'm not going to play it.

Also I really wish they would have put MK2 on instead of UMK3. UMK3 was the beginning of the decline of the MK series IMO. If they ever patch it so you can customize your controls, I will buy it. Until then I won't touch it.

Yeah I should have been paying more attention to the controls, while I do love the game, the combos and finisher are sooooooo freaking hard to pull off....

Suture, what arcade stick did you buy, can we have a link I would like to check it out...

By the way, is there anyone that I can write too to ask about patching the game to allow us to change the button config?? If there is, we should all do it.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Are there any arcade machines that you can connect to your TV to play MK or SF with joysticks?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0

purbeast0 you went about it the right way, the joysticks you can buy for the 360 suck ass. I've got two SF joysticks I'm going to mod for the 360. There's two things I'm going to try, modding it to make it wireless, and also try to put a programmable board in between so I can customize the buttons (even if the game won't let you). I'll put some pics up once I start the mod.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
does anybody know where I can find all the moves for each character? like scorpion's harpoon, etc and all the finishing moves?