UK Prime Minister Theresa May resigns in wake of mismanaged Brexit

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Erh.. this is looking more and more like Boris by the minute. Boris is as morally corrupt as they come but... he has x factor or something? Trump with a brain and charisma? Oh dear...
the hair, it's gotta be that hair of his.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Still doesn't change the fact that it was an impossible situation. The only good solution was for Parliament to just ignore the referendum and cancel Brexit, but they didn't and don't have the political will to do it.

Seems to me that the most likely path is shambling towards hard brexit.

Other than cancelling, another referendum after the negotiated deal may have been an out (people's vote for the deal, hard exit or cancel), but also politically untenable.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Seems to me that the most likely path is shambling towards hard brexit.

Boris Johnson becoming PM would surely make that outcome substantially more likely.

It's not exactly 'white male privilege', because the vast majority of males are white here, but it's certainly 'white, upper class elite private school, male privilege' that means someone with the record of amateurism, failure and carelessness that BJ has could float so easily to the very top.

If someone like Khan were to completely flush down the toilet £40million+ of tax payers' cash on an improperly-tendered vanity project that never even got built, that would surely wipe out any tiny chance he had of getting to Number 10. But the 'garden bridge' fiasco doesn't seem to even slow Johnson down. Never mind his unedifying stint as foreign secretary. Only someone on the higher end of as many axes of privilege as BJ could build a political career out of repeatedly resigning from top jobs that he wasn't very good at and then being given better ones.

(I don't even rate Khan very much - he's too timid and inactive as mayor in my opinion - but he's never cocked-up anything anywhere near the scale that Boris Johnson has)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
question, are the royals barred from holding high office in the UK?
Yep, and the queen has to get permission to enter London, cause that's where the banks are, and they had this bad habit of stiffing them. (Greyline tour guy speal)