UK Conservatives declare "hold my beer" to GOP wrt covid response

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Here's a timeline of the third occasion the UK Conservative party fucked up their covid response, in pretty much exactly the same way as both times before:

If you don't want to watch the video, here's a very short summary:

Starting April 2021: India sees a surge in cases, other countries add India to their red list. UK declares everything is fine, doesn't add India to red list (possibly because it wants to do a Brexit trade deal with them), we'll relax UK restrictions in June. India/Delta variant takes hold in the UK, army deployed to help increase vaccine take-up in key areas of the UK, but we still haven't added India to the red list. UK figures continue to climb through May, Delta variant is identified as being in 75% of new covid cases in UK, and the figures start getting really fucked up in June. For at least two weeks I've been seeing the news each morning and wondering why the fuck we haven't locked down yet.

The last part of that video ought to say that Boris is now thinking about delaying the relaxation of restrictions, aka. still procrastinating.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
UK really needs to close the time gap on 2nd doses and get after the kids where Delta is exploding. The data seems pretty clear.

I expect we'll see the same here in states with low vax rates soonish.

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
They took a page out of Democrats books. Banning flights from Asian countries were virus mutations originate is racist. So of course the non-racist tories wouldn't ban flights.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
They took a page out of Democrats books. Banning flights from Asian countries were virus mutations originate is racist. So of course the non-racist tories wouldn't ban flights.
Go jerk off on Frank with that shit.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The party of the right which won brexit by playing on xenophobia and racism is more the non racist party?

Not to mention, why would they have to try so hard to prove that they are not racist by not banning flights from a major hot spot. Methinks thou dost protests too much.

As usual, projection from a resident P&N racist and mysoginist pig.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

On the 'stopped clock is right twice a day' principle, I didn't think Trump's ban on flights was necessarily wrong in effect if not in motivation.

The Tories are of course, supremely racist, but they also represent the interests of the better-off who like flying back-and-forth to places on a frequent basis, plus the very well-off who own the airlines and whose profits depend on people continuing to do that.

Despite coming to power largely on the basis of a promise to 'control the borders' (the main issue of Brexit) they have thus consistently failed utterly to do that when it actually mattered. Both back at the start (when all the bourgie types were flying off to Italy and Switzerland for ski-ing holidays and bringing the virus back with them), and now, when Brexit itself meant it was impossible for them to risk doing anything to upset Modi.

I would just about concede that liberals can be as bad as conservatives when it comes to making an untouchable fetish out of international travel - largely because they are also affluent types who, just like Tories, love jetting off on 'city breaks' at every opportunity. The distinction between 'liberals' and 'conservatives' has always been partially a fiction - they tend to be drawn from a similar demographic and share a lot of interests.
(This is why I will never, ever, vote Lib Dem).

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
On the 'stopped clock is right twice a day' principle, I didn't think Trump's ban on flights was necessarily wrong in effect if not in motivation.

The Tories are of course, supremely racist, but they also represent the interests of the better-off who like flying back-and-forth to places on a frequent basis, plus the very well-off who own the airlines and whose profits depend on people continuing to do that.

Despite coming to power largely on the basis of a promise to 'control the borders' (the main issue of Brexit) they have thus consistently failed utterly to do that when it actually mattered. Both back at the start (when all the bourgie types were flying off to Italy and Switzerland for ski-ing holidays and bringing the virus back with them), and now, when Brexit itself meant it was impossible for them to risk doing anything to upset Modi.

I would just about concede that liberals can be as bad as conservatives when it comes to making an untouchable fetish out of international travel - largely because they are also affluent types who, just like Tories, love jetting off on 'city breaks' at every opportunity. The distinction between 'liberals' and 'conservatives' has always been partially a fiction - they tend to be drawn from a similar demographic and share a lot of interests.
(This is why I will never, ever, vote Lib Dem).
Trump didn't stop any flights. The airlines did.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Looks like the state of Missouri is mimicking the UK spread of Delta variant. Of course this follows 10-14 days after massive parties over Memorial Day weekend.

Springfield ICU beds are filling up fast.

Feb 4, 2009

I hear this all the time from deplorable mother fuckers and it is always the same, I’ll try here.
Please point me to a Democratic National Politician that said banning flights from Asia while a pandemic was happening claimed it would be racist.
Surely you can point me to a clip where one of the supposed many have said this?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I hear this all the time from deplorable mother fuckers and it is always the same, I’ll try here.
Please point me to a Democratic National Politician that said banning flights from Asia while a pandemic was happening claimed it would be racist.
Surely you can point me to a clip where one of the supposed many have said this?

"Democrats" means some guy on social media. As we've seen, banning flights from anywhere is pointless unless you can ban flights from everywhere like New Zealand.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019

President Biden tweeted this the day after Trump announced his ban.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
L lol
"Democrats" means some guy on social media. As we've seen, banning flights from anywhere is pointless unless you can ban flights from everywhere like New Zealand.
The so called ban had more holes than a black target at a police shooting range. We let thousands of people into this country without testing from Asia.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
The timing. It was in response to Trumps most recent action regarding corona which was his China flight ban.

I performed an edit. I’ll repeat it.
I am not sure if English is your first language. That statement is clearly about the former President, if we cannot agree on basic and accepted grammar this is a pointless discussion.