Uhoh, GF's laptop got soaked.

Aug 23, 2000
Well my GF's brand farking new laptop took a shower when our 90G aquarium blew a seal. I let the laptop dry out and powered it on and it still works. Yea!!!
The suck part is there are water stains behind the LCD panel. I found out how to seperate the layers of the panel to try and clean it out so hopefuly I can fix that.
The other issue is when the machine is powered off but has the battery in it in the upper left corner of the monitor there is a about a 1/4" of the screen that is showing a faded white light.

My understanding is the newer LED backlite LCD's don't use an inverter, sooo, is this anomoly Screen related or video card/system related?

Aug 23, 2000
OK just to update incase someone has the same issue.
I completely took apart the LCD screen. I pulled the 4 layers of optical material behind the actual LCD and cleaned cleaned them and removed the water stains and water that was still there. I put everything back in and powered it on and the water stains behind the screen are gone and the white in the top corner no longer shows up when the battery is in the unit.

snewdle

May 17, 2010
When you "cleaned" the LCD screen, did you basically just wipe moisture off of the various components?

Aug 23, 2000
Was it a fresh or saltwater aquarium?
Fresh water.

dude, are the fish ok?
<mccoy>They're dead Jim.<mccoy>

When you "cleaned" the LCD screen, did you basically just wipe moisture off of the various components?
Pretty much. I used a lint free rag to remove the moisture from each layer. I then just put in a slight amount of elbow grease to get the stains to come out.
Good job!

Thanks.
I could have bought a new panel for $60, but decided to use this as a learning experience.