Uhhh....Look Before You Leap?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=1892565

(LOUISVILLE, May 25th, 2004) -- She spent two days screaming for help, thinking she was going to die. Now, nearly a week after her ordeal, a Kentuckiana woman shares her amazing story of survival. WAVE 3's James Zambroski reports.

Last week 21-year old Christy Etzig fell from the Salt River Bridge on Dixie Highway to an embankment nearly 50 feet below. The impact of the fall left her unable to move.

Christy says her broken body was racked with pain that became even more unbearable every time she tried to move. Dozens of cars and possibly hundreds of people were only a few hundred feet away, but no one could hear her cries for help. That was the nightmare that began unfolding for Christy in the early morning hours of May 17.

It was a nightmare that would last nearly three days as Christy lay bleeding in the mud with multiple fractures, cuts and bruises. She screamed for help whenever she heard someone, but no one came. "I'd pass out for a couple of hours, wake up, start screaming again. Pass out for a couple of hours, kept doing the same thing. I'd wipe bugs off of me, what I could reach. Grabbing sticks and trying to push them down toward my legs to get the stuff off of me."

Out out of cigarettes and needing a cold soda, Christy left her boyfriend's apartment on foot around 1:30 a.m. While walking across the bridge, she felt increasingly crowded by oncoming traffic. "A car came past me and it felt like it was really close, like it was going to hit me, so I kept getting closer to the edge. A semi truck come and I thought it was going to hit me, and that's when I dove over and jumped off."

It turned out to be a tragic miscalculation. "When I jumped, there was no sidewalk. I thought I was only going to fall, like, that much. There wasn't nothing there. I'd never been on that bridge before and walked. I've always been in a car."

Christy says she does not remember falling, but she does "remember hitting the ground, I remember the impact. I remember opening my eyes and being on concrete, but I don't remember the fall."

Then there was intense pain and a feeling of suffocation. "I couldn't move, but all the strength I had and oh, there was so much pain, but I had to flip over to get my jacket off because I couldn't breathe because I was so hot."

And there was nature's torment as well. "There was ants and spiders and snakes and everything, just crawling all around me."

During her ordeal, Christy found herself questioning God. "That's all I kept asking: 'God, what did I do to deserve this?'"

Finally, Christy was discovered by a fisherman, but it would take rescuers more than an hour to get her to an ambulance. That's when she realized "I'm saved, I'm going to get to see my family again. The first thing I thought of was my daughter. I'm going to see that precious little face one more time."

Christy will be undergoing surgery later this week to reconstruct her fractured pelvis. She told us she doesn't plan to take any more long walks in the dark.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I'm glad she was rescued but that was a pretty stupid thing to do. Leaping into the dark off a bridge because you thought there was a sidewalk?? She won't win any prizes for intellectual of the year, that's for certain.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Can't blame her for jumping... it was instinct because she thought a semi was going to hit her. Most people would be frozen in fear and staring at the headlights like a rabbit on a road. Glad she survived that though. And didn't her boyfriend or anybody else miss her, and a search was attempted?

Match

May 28, 2001
God, what did I do to deserve this?
Well, let's see. You went walking in the dark on a bridge that had no sidewalk, and then you jumped without knowing how far the bottom was. In my experience, if a bridge doesn't have a sidewalk, it's not meant for walking on. That said, I'm glad she's ok. I can't imagine being stuck with a broken hip for four days just out of ear shot of people.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: The article
Out out of cigarettes and needing a cold soda, Christy left her boyfriend's apartment on foot around 1:30 a.m. While walking across the bridge, she felt increasingly crowded by oncoming traffic. "A car came past me and it felt like it was really close, like it was going to hit me, so I kept getting closer to the edge. A semi truck come and I thought it was going to hit me, and that's when I dove over and jumped off."

Sounds stoned, or tripping.

Farfrael

Mar 6, 2002
BF sure loves her, she was missing for 3 days and he didn't even try to see where she went .....

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Farfrael
BF sure loves her, she was missing for 3 days and he didn't even try to see where she went .....

That's what I was wondering, too.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ogg
Originally posted by: Roger
See, cigs kill in more ways than one.

damn glad I stopped, I sure as hell dont want to jump off a bridge :D

HAHAHA

Parent: "Why are you smoking? Don't you know it's ba for you?"
Kid: "Well, all the cool kids at school are doing it."
Parent: "And if all the kids at school jumped off a .... oh wait."

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
1:30AM, and she goes out for cigarettes? That crack will keep you awake all night, obviously.

At 1:30AM you need to be heading to bed....not WALKING ALONE ON A HIGHWAY. Too bad Darwin didn't keep her.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Staley8
"There wasn't nothing there" .....so there was something?

It's generally accepted that a double negative in colloquial usage is a doubly implied negative.

So there really wasn't anything there.