Uhaul sucks

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
First time I rented a pickup truck from them. I knew there was a charge for the rental and mileage but was surprise that they still wanted me to refuel the gas tank back to its prior level. Why require the customer to refill the gas when you're already charging them by the mile and for the rental? Car rental agencies seems to get a long fine by giving customers unlimited miles as long as they return the car with a full tank of gas. Why couldn't they?

Another thing. They gave me a practiaclly brand new Ford F150 with only ~300 miles on the odometer yet the truck already drives like sh!t.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Another thing. They gave me a practiaclly brand new Ford F150 with only ~300 miles on the odometer yet the truck already drives like sh!t.

That's just Fords for you. :laugh: 112

All joking aside, U-Haul sucks. When they modify the trucks, they screw them up.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
First of all, this is normal from every moving van/truck rental place I have used. Secondly, your comparison to car rental agencies isn't quite accurate. Regardless of whether you see separate charges for mileage on your invoice from a car rental agency, they are adding that cost in there somewhere. I assure you ;)

Lastly, U-Haul does suck. Unless they are offering a deal, they are usually the most expensive around. Try Ryder next time.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I learned to drive a manual transmission, by myself, on a 35ft Uhaul truck that was probably older than I was. I go to pick up the truck, hop in, and see that it's a manual. I immediately get out and go back inside and tell them I cant drive a manual. Their response..."thats what you bought the extra insurance for". Also, that was the only truck that size they had. Figuring it cant be that much different than all the video games and such I've played, I give it a shot. After about a dozen stalls, I finally figured it out. It was a fun and nerve racking learning experience, but not very good business on their part.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
I learned to drive a manual transmission, by myself, on a 35ft Uhaul truck that was probably older than I was. I go to pick up the truck, hop in, and see that it's a manual. I immediately get out and go back inside and tell them I cant drive a manual. Their response..."thats what you bought the extra insurance for". Also, that was the only truck that size they had. Figuring it cant be that much different than all the video games and such I've played, I give it a shot. After about a dozen stalls, I finally figured it out. It was a fun and nerve racking learning experience, but not very good business on their part.
:Q
You learn fast, Obi-wan!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
A Uhaul I rented four years ago wouldn't go over 40 mph and leaked oil all over my new driveway.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005

this happened to my friend.
i was helping him move and he went to pick up his truck he had *reserved*. nope. they only had the biggest truck they had and that's what he got. manual transmission, luckily he could drive one. i wouldve been screwed, i know how to drive one in theory, not in practice.

i was following him through some narrow-ass streets in san antonio. he about gave me a heart attack more than once. getting on the freeway with that thing was an adventure to say the least :)
i wouldve been going absolutely ape-sh*t the whole time. glad he was driving.

i havent had bad luck w/ Uhaul but i know several that have.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Otaking
:Q
You learn fast, Obi-wan!

All those racing sim arcade games I've played over the years with the clutch pedal came in handy, though they need to work on simulating friction points and such. Had to learn that one the hard way
:laugh:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I am renting a shithaul for my move in two weeks. We'll see what kind of adventures we have!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
U-Haul TAKES reservations, but they don't KEEP reservations. Make sure to get in line 30 minutes before the store opens during a busy moving day (weekends near the end of the month), or you will not get a truck!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
U-Haul TAKES reservations, but they don't KEEP reservations. Make sure to get in line 30 minutes before the store opens during a busy moving day (weekends near the end of the month), or you will not get a truck!

QFT!!

also don't rely on the fact you may call them the night before to make sure they have it (or get a email from them saying its at the store).

when i moved i reserved a 24ft truck. i called them 2 days before moving and they said they have it. i recieved a Email the night befoer saying it was at the shop (i had used uhaul.com to reserve it).

I go to pick it up and THEY DON"T HAVE IT. the guy said there is nothing he can do. I call the 1800 number. They say they have a truck 60 miles away i can pick up. BUT they wouldnt discount the miles.

i kept talking to diffrent managers. finally one got me me 2 14 ft trucks for the same price.

but i had 3 hours of wasted time.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
We rented a uhaul van once that had a leaky transmission. Going down the highway the fluid started to pour out and burn on the exhaust. Made a lot of smoke! We ended up waiting on the side of the highway for some time before a mechanic came out. Course he didn't have any fluid, nor did he bring another truck. Luckily it made it to the house but just barely. It had the hardest time getting over the small driveway curb, since practically all the fluid was gone it kept slipping.

Otherwise I'd say we've been pretty lucky with Uhaul. Only other issue was a truck with a squeaky a/c belt.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yea I would recomend Budget. I have rented twice, both one ways, and will be picking up another for a local move this sat. They have good trucks, at least for me, and I can always get at least 10% discount online sometimes more. :)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
All my experiences with U-Haul have been pretty positive. Or rather, all except the time I said, "you've gotta be kidding me. I'm not renting that." I've rented a few tow-behinds from them though. Once I towed a couple loads of hay; that thing was packed solid with fresh hay bales. It was borderline on the weight for the load. The other time, I hauled a 600 pound pig to the butcher in one... $5 at the car wash and an entire bottle of Febreeze, and it smelled better than ever again. :p

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
They could:
- Factor gas into the per-mile cost. This would be relatively easy to compute. Of course, if you go through more than one tank of gas you're screwed, because you're paying for gas in the per-mile cost AND you're paying to fill up.
or
- Make you return it with a full tank. By doing that, they take gas entirely out of the equation. They don't have to adjust their prices as gas prices change. You pay for what gas you use, no more, no less. Seems reasonable to me.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
they make you return it with as much as is in there when you leave, and this is always more than 1/4 tank. This way they don't have to spend time taking all of their trucks to get filled up before they rent them out. That's basically it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Try Penske. Sometimes they have unlimited mileage deals if you pick up in one place and drop off in another.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I just rented a Penske truck from an authorized dealer and what a scam that was. I asked if I HAD to have the insurance and all he said was your car insurance doesn't cover that and never answered the question. When I checked the receipt it said CUSTOMER ACCEPTED INSURANCE. Asshole.