UGHHH...please help with this internet problem

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I know this is OT but I figured it'd get more views here....

I just bought a laptop, I wanted to network it with my PC to share some files. I got the network setup(NIC to NIC, no internet involved), everything worked ok. Now, when I want to use my cable modem, it doesn't freakin work. I used sys restore on my laptop and it fixed the problem there, which is how I'm typing this. The internet on my PC however doesn't work, and neither does system restore. Am I going to have to format? I'm running XP Pro, is there a NORMAL way to "unnetwork" and just use my cable modem?? It isn't a wrong cable problem, or anything like that, something just is not working properly.

Any help or suggestions? I don't know if there's any other info I can give, but anything is appreciated. Thanks guys.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Have you configured your router to work with the cable modem and your internal network?

Try posting this question in the Networking and the S/W forums

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Don't have a router...like I said, the network was NIC to NIC...used a crosover patch cable...basically unplugged the PC from the cable modem, plugged the CAT5 into the NIC in the PC and the laptop..did a direct connect. Now when I want to use the cable modem, doesn't want to work like it used to. (yes i plugged the cable modem back into the PC's NIC. I'll ask in networking tho...thanks.

WhiteWonder

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
wait, so your laptop nic is plugged directly into to modem?

if thats the case, you have to call the cable co. and give them its mac address

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Right NOW, my laptop is plugged into my cable modem. It works fine.

Right NOW, my PC is not plugged into any sort of network because it doesn't work right. If I unplug the cable modem from my Laptop's NIC, and plug it into my PC's NIC, the internet will not work properly on the PC. I am not trying to use it with both...just swapping which NIC is plugged w/ the cable modem...depending on which I want to use, my PC or laptop.

It all got messed up when I tried to do a network with my PC and laptop. I do not have a router, it did not involve my cable modem whatsoever. Just a crossover cable linking my PC and laptop via their NIC.

I posted this in Networking so if anyone has any more ideas, could you post it in my thread over there?