ugh, wtf could have caused this?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
got home from work around 7 pm tonight... go through my usual routine, cook dinner, wash dishes, watch a little tv, etc. around 9:30, I sign onto WoW to raid, and I realize that I'm drinkless, so I head back to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of juice.

what do I find when I get there but both sinks backed up with this completely disgusting water :shocked: I can't even describe the smell, it was just gross... and there were this black chunks that almost looked like seaweed. the water was also kinda warm. I've got a double sink and both were filled to the brim, though as I emptied out one, the other lowered as well.

I emptied the whole thing out with a pot (and a teacup when I got down near the bottom... took about 45 minutes total, and I swear I saw a chunk of onion as I was emptying it out) and I put a couple of pieces of duct tape down to make sure the water's not rising (it doesn't appear to be), but wtf could have caused that? I could understand if it was like soapy water coming from my upstairs neighbor's shower or sink, but I don't even want to think about what that black crap was. and it must have come up pretty forcefully, since the drain cover was on one of the sinks, though I didn't hear a thing in the next room over.

I'm SOL till the morning, since I can't get a plumber or my landlord out here this late (landlord was of course my first call, before I even started emptying out the sinks), but I can't even sleep. lol. I'm walking back to the kitchen every 15 minutes to make sure the water hasn't risen.

every other sink in the apartment appears to be fine, though I've been leary of running any heavy amounts of water, like flushing the toilet or taking a shower.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Based on your description, you have a major problem. I'd be that either this or this is the source.

damnit, and I just moved away from a heavily mustachioed italian community. :frown:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Based on your description, you have a major problem. I'd be that either this or this is the source.

damnit, and I just moved away from a heavily mustachioed italian community. :frown:

You can always give Bob Hoskins or Jon Leguizamo (sp) a call.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
so, according to the plumber, it was some kind of weird mixture of soap and sand that backed up into my kitchen from the main line.

still pretty disgusting, but at least not super unsanitary perse... anyone have any suggestions for what chemical to use to scour my kitchen sink? lol

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
so, according to the plumber, it was some kind of weird mixture of soap and sand that backed up into my kitchen from the main line.

still pretty disgusting, but at least not super unsanitary perse... anyone have any suggestions for what chemical to use to scour my kitchen sink? lol

Ajax/Comet?

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

Throw some bleach on it?

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001

if it backed up from your main line, then it's shit, piss, and whatever else that goes down your drains too. i'd use something strong to clean it up and disinfect. use a cleanser then bleach.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: d33pt

if it backed up from your main line, then it's shit, piss, and whatever else that goes down your drains too. i'd use something strong to clean it up and disinfect. use a cleanser then bleach.

it probably also has old condoms, tampons, syringes, aids infected wipes, wadded up crapped panties, and all other normal things people flush down toilets.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: slag
Originally posted by: d33pt

it probably also has old condoms, tampons, syringes, aids infected wipes, wadded up crapped panties, and all other normal things people flush down toilets.

I'll make a fortune on ebay ;)