UE Boom 2 - is there a quality difference between AUX and Bluetooth?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've bought a secondhand UE Megaboom 2 which doesn't have an AUX port. I don't need a speaker that gets as loud as the Megaboom.

I'm wondering if a Boom 2 would have better sound quality if I use the AUX port? Has anyone done any comparisons between the AUX and Bluetooth? Unfortunately none of them support AptX, AptX HD, or LDAC via Bluetooth.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It depends on what source you're plugging it into. If the DAC is better on source than on the BOOM 2 (accounting for Bluetooth compression) then the source plus AUX is a better bet than source plus Bluetooth.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
It depends on what source you're plugging it into. If the DAC is better on source than on the BOOM 2 (accounting for Bluetooth compression) then the source plus AUX is a better bet than source plus Bluetooth.

The source is absolutely better on AUX than Bluetooth. It's a DAC playing flac files, but I'm concerned it won't actually sound any better because the speakers themselves on the EU Boom 2 might be too crappy to really tell the difference.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The source is absolutely better on AUX than Bluetooth. It's a DAC playing flac files, but I'm concerned it won't actually sound any better because the speakers themselves on the EU Boom 2 might be too crappy to really tell the difference.
I agree with your assessment. Most bluetooth speakers are mediocre at best. It's the same with the majority of pc speakers.