Ubuntu will account for roughly 9% of all global PC shipments by 2014.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
wasn't there plans to use Ubuntu for that whole One Laptop Per Child program? wonder what happened to that and whether that % accounts for it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't use Ubuntu much anymore, but I'd love to see them do well. More Ubuntu machines means more people hacking on GNU/Linux code. That'll be good for everyone.

Edit:
Valve on GNU/Linux...

When Valve set up their digital distribution service nine years ago, Microsoft were in a very different place. At the time they had “no issue” with Steam, says Valve engineer Drew Bliss, but “Steam nowadays would probably be impossible to do”.

“If you look at the way the world is going, where you see Apple completely in control of their system, and at least part of Windows 8 entirely controlled by the Microsoft App Store, Steam is going to be a little bit harder to do - both in the store aspect and in the content delivery aspect.”

That’s why Valve have turned. They want to make Linux the best little gaming platform it can be.

“We want to continue developing in open platforms and so we’re looking around, and obviously Linux has become a very viable alternate platform. So we are now looking into doing Steam for Linux and supporting as many of our Steam games for Linux as we can.”

At the Ubuntu Summit in Copenhagen, Bliss reassured the Linux community that Valve didn’t intend to lock the platform down, but rather ensure the survival of what they consider to be PC gaming’s last open platform.

“We want to remove one roadblock that people have with Linux usage and keep the open platform alive. If Microsoft goes the way Apple has and Windows and Macintosh are, both completely closed ecosystems, Linux really is the best alternative for everybody. So we want to help it be as good a platform as possible.”

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/valve-linux-better-windows-8-gaming

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
After nearly 15 years of it being "the year of the Linux desktop", I do not even slightly believe these projections will be true. That battle is over and has been lost.:|

You'll always have a few PCs shipping with Linux, but 95%+ of the market will remain MS + Apple through 2014. PC buyers will want an operating system that can run their software, and cheap consumers will go for tablet-like devices that of course won't run Ubuntu.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Valve is just looking for a safe port for steam, with both windows and mac having built in stores. And they are right windows 8 is bad... for valve. I don't feel Microsoft is being anti steam, they are being pro Microsoft.

I really fail to see how Steam on Linux or Ubuntu is going to get any more traction on the desktop going forward. OsX only has about 9% marketshare. I'm not sure what the incentive for developers to follow steam to Linux is, and I'm not sure how steam is even better for developers than the native stores in OsX and Windows. Good on Valve for trying to keep Steam relevant, but it has the feel of a dying shriek to me.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
After nearly 15 years of it being "the year of the Linux desktop", I do not even slightly believe these projections will be true. That battle is over and has been lost.:|

No one seriously discusses the "year of the Linux desktop" anymore. It's running joke on GNU/Linux centric forums. All it takes is a significant minority share to make things better for everyone. GNU/Linux on the desktop already has more market share than Opera browser, and Windows gets less relevant every year. Even having half of OSX's share would be pretty sweet, and would add a lot of support for the platform, and I see no reason OSX can't be matched, especially with the way Canonical is positioning the platform. Steam is just icing on the cake, and gamers tend to be tweakers, so they're a perfect match for GNU/Linux.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
No one seriously discusses the "year of the Linux desktop" anymore. It's running joke on GNU/Linux centric forums. All it takes is a significant minority share to make things better for everyone. GNU/Linux on the desktop already has more market share than Opera browser, and Windows gets less relevant every year. Even having half of OSX's share would be pretty sweet, and would add a lot of support for the platform, and I see no reason OSX can't be matched, especially with the way Canonical is positioning the platform. Steam is just icing on the cake, and gamers tend to be tweakers, so they're a perfect match for GNU/Linux.

The only thing keeping me from switching from windows to linux completely is gaming and generally windows has more GUI options, in linux i would have to use the terminal to get certain things done which in windows involves clicking a button.

I can deal with the terminal, but losing a good chunk of my games is a bit much. Maybe if xen and its GPU passthrough capabilities came to maturity or at least were much easier to configure/setup then i could switch to linux full time and game on the windows 7 vm.

With steam coming and planetary annihilation supporting linux its looking pretty good overall. If CoH2 supported linux i would switch, old games be damned!

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I bet even at 9% shipped that at least half the machines get reformatted with windows shortly after deployment.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
I bet even at 9% shipped that at least half the machines get reformatted with windows shortly after deployment.

What about the machines shipping with windows which get reformatted to Linux?

You can add both my laptops to the list and if not for games I'd be running Ubuntu on my desktop as well.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Steam needs to reconsider their choice of Ubuntu. But I can see Linux finally becoming more popular.

Last edited:

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
The only thing keeping me from switching from windows to linux completely is gaming and generally windows has more GUI options, in linux i would have to use the terminal to get certain things done which in windows involves clicking a button.

I can deal with the terminal, but losing a good chunk of my games is a bit much. Maybe if xen and its GPU passthrough capabilities came to maturity or at least were much easier to configure/setup then i could switch to linux full time and game on the windows 7 vm.

With steam coming and planetary annihilation supporting linux its looking pretty good overall. If CoH2 supported linux i would switch, old games be damned!

I haven't enjoyed linux/ubuntu since gnome 2 days. If it wasn't for games and advanced excel functions I probably would have used linux all through school. Also the tearing in videos was a problem maybe that is fixed now?

It was fun getting the OS the exact way you wanted it, from dockbarx giving you near windows taskbar functionality to compiz giving you all the best of mac features. Quicksilver with a bunch of options. Man linux is great I hope it does account for 9% of global shipments. It needs to make a AWESOME tablet asap tho.

Wine project was pretty sweet, if only it was perfect...

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
I can't say I use Ubuntu on any system on a daily basis, but I definitely see overall linux usage rising in the near future.

The big growth of Apple has forced a lot of users and developers to open up to being more cross-platform friendly. Where 10 years ago, no one would ever think or care how to keep documents synced or have software licenses transfer between a PC and a mac, today these are things that even the average user thinks about.

As people become less tied to a particular desktop computer hardware/OS partnership, and more to cloud services, it will be easier for people to use linux/ubuntu as an alternative to windows.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005

You'll always have a few PCs shipping with Linux, but 95%+ of the market will remain MS + Apple through 2014. PC buyers will want an operating system that can run their software, and cheap consumers will go for tablet-like devices that of course won't run Ubuntu.

The desktop itself will die off before Linux has a chance to take over. In the future, everyone will write 200-page essays, play 3D FPS games and do advanced scientific calculations on 9" tablets. 27" non-touch screen displays will not be available. At least that's the way Microsoft and PC manufacturers are trying to shape the future.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
The only part about linux that I like is the shell(which IS awesome), but I have no need for any gui interface on Linux. I've used over a dozen Linux distros over the past 6 years and they are all the same in 1 regard. Their GUI interfaces are completely inferior to both Microsoft and Apple. It's got cool features and stuff, but the totality of it is that it's still plagued with silly driver & basic functionality problems (mostly depending on the h/w) and the usability is simply not consistent.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Powershell is far superior to bash.

But hey, spend half your time on string manipulation instead of just passing objects to commands and getting actual work done. It doesn't bother me what you want to spend your time on.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Powershell is far superior to bash.

But hey, spend half your time on string manipulation instead of just passing objects to commands and getting actual work done. It doesn't bother me what you want to spend your time on.

Pow-Pow-PowerShell is terrible. Its only saving grace is that MS is forcing it upon people. A scripting language is supposed to be quick and dirty, if I wanted to develop a full program with full object orientation and strong type enforcement I would use one of the many existing, openly standardized languages.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You have no real beef with it other than who has written it.

Just admit it. It's MS so you hate it.

Quick and dirty? Yes, string manipulation to do *everything* defines quick for me. You've ridiculed with no substance. Your only criticism is that it's too powerful? Are you even reading what you're writing?

Attitudes like yours are why we roll our eyes at open source zealots in the real world. Every tool its place. Attitudes like yours can't see that. You let your weird biases color every choice instead of evaluating things on their merits. Like with most zealots, it is a waste of time trying to have a discussion with you.

Last edited:

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
You have no real beef with it other than who has written it.

Just admit it. It's MS so you hate it.

Quick and dirty? Yes, string manipulation to do *everything* defines quick for me. You've ridiculed with no substance. Your only criticism is that it's too powerful? Are you even reading what you're writing?

Attitudes like yours are why we roll our eyes at open source zealots in the real world. Every tool its place. Attitudes like yours can't see that. You let your weird biases color every choice instead of evaluating things on their merits. Like with most zealots, it is a waste of time trying to have a discussion with you.

No, my beef is with its terrible usability and syntax. I couldn't care less who produced it.

Everyone's weird biases color their opinions, if they didn't we would just be emotionless automatons. And yes, my past experiences with bash and perl affect how I view other languages. That and the fact that yet another language just wasn't needed, MS could easily have taken something like ActivePerl and just made it their official language for working with AD, Exchange, etc instead of coming up with a new one in an already saturated area.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The desktop itself will die off before Linux has a chance to take over. In the future, everyone will write 200-page essays, play 3D FPS games and do advanced scientific calculations on 9" tablets. 27" non-touch screen displays will not be available. At least that's the way Microsoft and PC manufacturers are trying to shape the future.

A significant proportion of those tablets will be running a form of Linux.

I think a lot of you are underestimating the effect steam might have.