Ubuntu server not updating kernel fully

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I have a 12.04 ubuntu server running linux-image-3.2.0-37-generic, however it has downloaded and installed all up to -49-. The problem is that even though its 'installed' on the system, it's not booting to it. I have no idea why it won't move up to any of the other versions it has installed. I've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the specific linux image to no effect. The only thing I can think of is that there are some packages with dependencies on the -37- kernel image and so apt won't move on, but I also have no idea how to see if this is the case? Apt isn't always very informative.

All my other 12.04 servers are moving on just fine. However, this (and it's clone) were setup with /boot sectors that are far too small. Thus, they ended up filling up awhile back. Some questionable work was done before in attempt to free up space (I've come up with a cleaner method since) there, so I had originally assumed broken dependencies. But, apt isn't kicking off anything. So now instead of the server filling up with old unnecessary image files, it's filling up with new one's it can't use.

I've thought about doing this command to see if it would tell me what dependencies: apt-get -s remove linux-image-3.2.0-37-generic. In theory that would be a simulation, and not do any harm. Any thoughts on this?

This server is getting redone in the rather near future, but until that date I'd like to keep it running cleanly and reasonably up to date.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
If I remember correctly, Ubuntu automatically generates a new grub every time a kernel is updated. Perhaps that is what is failing?

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I just ran updates on mine and the latest in my /boot/ directory is 3.5.0-36

I think you may be confusing things with 3.2.0-49

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
If I remember correctly, Ubuntu automatically generates a new grub every time a kernel is updated. Perhaps that is what is failing?

Nope, that generates fine. No errors from apt at all. If I run the command again it tells me, 0 upgraded/installed, 44 not ( or held back I guess).

I just ran updates on mine and the latest in my /boot/ directory is 3.5.0-36

I think you may be confusing things with 3.2.0-49

Not on 12.04lts, 3.5 is either 12.10 or 13.04. I don't want to mess around with that significant of a kernel change. Especially not on a needed production box that isn't yet virtualized, so reverting changes gone wrong isn't so easy.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm... so, you did apt-get upgrade and it shows new kernels... did you then do apt-get install kernel... ?
I know, usually, it is automatic, but there are some cases where it won't automatically upgrade because there is another package that relies on that kernel...

However, since you mentioned it is a production box, I would clone it, before doing that, in case there is a issue and you need to revert back quickly.

ashetos

Jul 23, 2013
In Ubuntu I manually remove old kernels because it does not remove them automatically, this can free a lot of space for your /boot mountpoint, maybe this can help?

You can also check /etc/default/grub for any weird rules (GRUB_DEFAULT is typically 0).

Also, you could try dist-upgrade, instead of upgrade, which does more stuff about dependencies.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Hmm... so, you did apt-get upgrade and it shows new kernels... did you then do apt-get install kernel... ?
I know, usually, it is automatic, but there are some cases where it won't automatically upgrade because there is another package that relies on that kernel...

However, since you mentioned it is a production box, I would clone it, before doing that, in case there is a issue and you need to revert back quickly.

Yes to both of those, it appears to be holding back packages. My guess is something with MySQL, as that is not getting updated at the moment. Could be some other package though, shrug.

I can't make an easy clone of it, it currently is a physical machine but will be rebuilt as a virtual in the next couple of months. Honestly, I think I will just leave it at this point. Working fine, and kernel updates won't offer me anything significant enough to devote more time to it at this point.