Discussion Ubuntu 22 is out now

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I noticed that Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is out now. Has anyone tried it yet?

I tried doing an installation of it on an old laptop. I was impressed that it detected my old Ubuntu 14 installation and asked me if I wanted to install Ubuntu 22 alongside it.

I wasn't quite as impressed when it failed to update the GRUB configuration and left the system completely unbootable after installation. Ah, good old Ubuntu... someday you might make an upgrade process that actually works. I should have known better, and just went with a fresh installation.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, the fresh install isn't going any better. The OS installed, but then the system hard locks while going through the "Welcome to Ubuntu" wizard.

I don't see anything in the logs to explain it. This system (a Dell XPS 15 laptop) ran Windows 10 just fine, so I doubt that it's a hardware problem.

I guess that 2022 isn't going to be the year of Linux on the desktop :)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I gave up the *buntus for debian quite awhile ago. The *buntus have too much "commercial" tie in, where they try to push the latest whiz bang feature to make the distro "unique". I prefer the somewhat generic approach of debian, where it's just a collection of packages from elsewhere, and no real agenda aside from having a functional system. Ubuntu treated me right in the past, and was my introduction to gnu/linux, but debian suits me better.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yep. I also gave up Ubuntu a long time ago, even if I'm still testing. Ubuntu just feels heavy & buggy.

Went with Linux Mint Cinnamon (although also a variant of Ubuntu) / LMDE 5.

Pure Debian seems more stable to me.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I really liked Mint and Xubuntu in the past.

wcbutler

Apr 19, 2022
I did three 20.04 to 22.04 upgrades and one of mine I messed up grub but was able to fix it via doing the advanced options and booting an old entry which was actually the correct one and then updating grub. Don't give up on 22.04! I've enjoyed it. Also don't run Ubuntu 14 as it is EOL. Live USB onto that machine, mount that partitoin, grab your files, and clean that off.