Ubuntu 12.04 Released

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
Another annoyance: No launch feedback

In Windows, if you start a program, the mouse cursor will change into an hourglass to let you know that you've launched an app. KDE has its hyperactive bouncy mini-launcher icon combined with an animated mouse cursor.

Unity? Nothing. I clicked on the Ubuntu Software Center icon, and thought that maybe I'd missed the icon, only to have it launch several seconds later.

Everyone on the Unity development team must have SSDs or something :\

Just wanted to follow up on this.

Apparently Unity does have launch feedback: the launcher icon for the app you opened will lightly throb while the app is loading. I could've sworn that wasn't there before. I have had some graphical glitches with it (particularly with dual monitors enabled), so perhaps it's impacted by experience in a functional way.

Oh well. I just wanted to set the record straight.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
From the official Ubuntu documentation:
Anti-virus software does exist for Linux, but you probably don't need to use it. Viruses that affect Linux are still very rare. Some argue that this is because Linux is not as widely used as other operating systems, so no-one writes viruses for it. Others argue that Linux is intrinsically more secure, and security problems that viruses could make use of are fixed very quickly.

Whatever the reason, Linux viruses are so rare that you don't really need to worry about them at the moment.

From Ubuntu's official website on reasons to use Ubuntu:
No viruses
Life's too short to spend it worrying about viruses.

1dAMm.jpg

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
BTW, Linux 3.4 is now available in the Quantal repos (pick your platform):

Should work fine in Ubu PP, since Quantal & Precise are still very similar, at this juncture, but no guarantees.

All they're doing, at the moment, is sync'ing up with the Debian repos.

I must have upgraded 400+ packages, in the past few days (only 1 borkage - libxfont). LoL! :D

Here's a screenie, showing me purging the "old" RCs...

vindsl-kernel-purge-2-may-2012.png

Onward & upward... :thumbsup:

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
From the official Ubuntu documentation:

From Ubuntu's official website on reasons to use Ubuntu:
Never hurts to be a *little* paranoid (like when a Winders user sends you something). :sneaky:

My "pick" is avast!:

Works great on Ubu, but you have to bump up the kernel.shmmax blocks:

vindsl-avast-2-may-2012.png

As an aside, I never have figured out why (almost) all distros set the shmmax blocks so low. :\

Anyway, if you feel the *need*, that's what I use/recommend. All the other Linux AV proggies are kinda sucky!

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
I need to start a program with gksudo, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing so with a launcher. I've modified the application's launcher file, and I get prompted to input my password, but the program never actually launches. If I run the very same command in a terminal, it works fine.

*grumble*

Last edited:

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
all hail cinnamon sprinkled on top.

Thanks for that screen shot. I have been looking for relief from the top taskbar of 1204. I think I just found it! Cinnamon !

I would like to see your .conkyrc and weather.sh (if used). I am mostly happy with mine but I like the way your weather is laid out.

Gs dewd

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for that screen shot. I have been looking for relief from the top taskbar of 1204. I think I just found it! Cinnamon !

I would like to see your .conkyrc and weather.sh (if used). I am mostly happy with mine but I like the way your weather is laid out.

I just use screenlets, and that the free weather plugin for it. I also use system monitor as the other plugin.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I really hated Unity in 11.04 but I install it on a Vbox. Now with Gnome 3 been shitty, I am slowly forcing myself to learn 12.04 Unity. Seems improved somewhat. but functionality-wise just not up to the older unix IFs. I guess these GUI needs some time to mature, but god it feels a step backwards.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I honestly think I prefer GNOME3 to Unity. I have no qualms about it after using it a little bit. I think I like it better than my KDE experiment and I don't like it any less than old GNOME2. Could just be me though.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I just tried upgrading my system from Ubuntu 11.04 to 12.04, and the process failed horribly. I checked the console output as it was near completion, and it showed a 10 page long list of packages that failed to install, the last line being that "The installation encountered too many errors to continue". Amusingly, the GUI made it look like everything was successful.

After I rebooted, I was dropped at a blank black desktop after logging on to a totally broken logon screen with missing icons. I dropped to the console and did quick check of the system just to see how badly the system got screwed up, and I could tell that it was still running on the old Ubuntu 11 kernel. It sure removed a lot of stuff, but it didn't seem to successfully upgrade anything.

Geez... Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be geared towards Linux newbies? Good luck getting an average computer to clean up that mess. Personally, I'm just going to overwrite the existing installation with a fresh copy of some other Linux distribution at this point.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Geez... Isn't Ubuntu supposed to be geared towards Linux newbies? Good luck getting an average computer to clean up that mess. Personally, I'm just going to overwrite the existing installation with a fresh copy of some other Linux distribution at this point.

11.04-12.04 isn't a supported upgrade path. You either have to do an intermediate upgrade to 11.10, or a clean install. People have complained about Ubuntu upgrades, but I never had trouble going from LTS to LTS.

stuartl89

Feb 4, 2012
I just tried upgrading my system from Ubuntu 11.04 to 12.04, and the process failed horribly. I checked the console output as it was near completion, and it showed a 10 page long list of packages that failed to install, the last line being that "The installation encountered too many errors to continue". Amusingly, the GUI made it look like everything was successful.

After I rebooted, I was dropped at a blank black desktop after logging on to a totally broken logon screen with missing icons. I dropped to the console and did quick check of the system just to see how badly the system got screwed up, and I could tell that it was still running on the old Ubuntu 11 kernel. It sure removed a lot of stuff, but it didn't seem to successfully upgrade anything.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade

please read and take special note of the top of the page about upgrading from versions earlier than 11.10.

-S

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
11.04-12.04 isn't a supported upgrade path. You either have to do an intermediate upgrade to 11.10, or a clean install. People have complained about Ubuntu upgrades, but I never had trouble going from LTS to LTS.

Why did the desktop upgrade utility give me the option to do it, then? That's just asking for trouble.

Oh the bright side, CentOS 6.2 works great on this system :)

Last edited:

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
So while Kubuntu asks you for the system information (username, hostname, timezone, etc.), it installs in the background.

I'm impressed already. And the install was quite fast.

Edit: Too bad it crashed on shutdown. Baby steps :p

Last edited:

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
I see some things haven't changed much with KDE since the last time I used it.

A million different options, yet I can never quite get it to work the way I want :\

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
Considering KDE's approach toward maximum configurability/flexibility, I'm disappointed at the extremely basic nature of Kubuntu's Muon software center. I also hate the fact that it takes you back to the main menu anytime you install an application :mad:

Thankfully, you can use the Muon software center to install the Ubuntu software center :p