Uber n00b question here

Plumcuda1

Jan 1, 2005
Ok, I am changing my system in my sig. I am getting a AMD 3500+ Newcastle, ASUS A8V-Deluxe and a 6800GT(keeping the rest). My question is .... will I need to start from scratch and reinstall windows? or can I just put new mobo/cpu and gfx card in and boot up? This will be my 1st AMD experience.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
pretty much have 2 reformat & reinstall i'm afraid 4 a new mobo :(

u could go through and uninstall all ur drivers 4 the mobo & gfx, but u'll get a much cleaner, snappier, problem free OS if u reformat & reinstall :)

Dec 7, 2004
Everytime i have upgraded someone to 64 bit at work, i have to reinstall due to a blue screen. If i go from 32 bit to 32 bit, i usually just have to swap all the drivers and then clean the registry and temp files.

Going from Intel to 64, not that i have done that combination before, i imagine you will get a BSOD when you boot up. The above post is right, just wipe and reload, saves a ton of trouble in the end, and will give you a much better running system.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I have an article bookmarked at home that describes step-by-step how to configure Windows for a MB swap without reinstalling from scratch. I'm not sure how well it works going from 32-bit to 64-bit, though.

I can try to dig it up if you want it.

rileychris

Sep 26, 2004
ANother solution is to get a new HD as your boot drive and install windows on it. Then afterwards add your old hard drives as DATA drives. Thsi is what I am doing.